1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What do you think of the Singleplayer?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Errol, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Tell me what you think of the Single-Player campaign, and what would you have liked to have seen in the campaign?.
    Here too.

Personally i missed the oppertunity to be able to role-play the thing, and thought the story was a bit lame.

2. Kurtz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I would have liked there to be more subquests, with seperate areas devoted to them, and a lot more to the cities (like all those conversations and cutscenes in BG2's Athkatla, that had little relevance to the plot but helped the city to really feel like a proper city).

I don't think the single-player is quite as bad as people make out, but it was still a big disappointment.

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

BioWare could have done better. Hope somebody makes a great copy of the BG1 story or something as a module :) .

4. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Hmm i never played NWN again after the first day because it seemed so awful. But now that i've started again with a new player (halfling Rogue) it's not THAT bad, still nothing like it could have been though.

5. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

Single player is so boring that i have to force myself to play. :(

[ August 27, 2002, 23:17: Message edited by: Fallen Paladin ]

6. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

It was a terrible rotating experience. Every time a new chapter started, it was as though I was restarting the last chapter.

Horrible.

7. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

***Spoilers Below***
    I found it a little disappointing. The game itself I think is really good, but the SP adventure was lacking in a lot of areas. In addition to those above, I really didn't like the 'errand boy' campaign-style. Your character never has to figure anything out for themself, and never has to actually decide about anything other than what to wear. Your character runs off, fetches something, and comes back to Aribeth/Gend "Is this what you need? No, okay...I'll get two more just like it." The NPCs drove the story, rather than your character.

And the main story was very disjointed. There was no reason for any of the plot points to be connected from the very start. It felt as if several different people built completely separate adventures and side-quests without ever consulting each other. Then a story was invented to give your character a reason for taking part in each unrelated quest. More explanation was certainly required to say 'why' something happened, and it should have been 'discovered' rather than told to the PC. I think the very worst for that was the Kharlat-Quint quest in Chapter 2. You go through an entire quest which has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the main story, and at the end of it, one of the cultists drops dead at your feet, conveniently holding one of the two (three?) possible documents that will allow you to continue on to Chapter 3.

But as I've stated above and in other posts, I really don't like being led around by the nose. "What, the creatures have escaped? Well, come back next week...No, no don't do anything about it now, they need time to get established and cause some trouble first. Then you can go and fetch them."

That and "Oh, Fenthick? Yes, he was my lover and all, but I hanged him. Oh, you say he didn't do anything wrong? He thought he was helping? Hmm...well, I'll feel bad about it in the morning, but that's what makes me a paladin."

[ August 28, 2002, 00:23: Message edited by: Gnolyn Lochbreaker ]

8. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I agree with Artechoke. All of the chapters except for the last one were go to these places and get these things.

9. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Playing on 'Hardcore rules' *should* provide some challenge, right? Right? WRONG.

10. Faded Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I got *really* tired of the 'protect the Waterdhavian Creatures' routine in the first chapter. 'Waterdhavian' this and 'Waterdhavian' that. It got a bit better when I realized I got to kill them, but the response from Aribeth kinda spoiled my fun. ('The <MONSTER> was behind the trouble in the <CITY_SECTION>? Oh my goodness...')

Second, you have the 'this is most interesting news' response whenever you find something 'important', and it's usually followed by 'now, do that again, because you have only three out of four'.

I quit playing before I was half way through the second chapter.

11. zazu Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Well, each game has up's and downs, the difference I felt between Buldur Gates 2 and NWN is that Buldur's gate two has a good story line to make me play until the end. I can't stand playing NWN at chapter 3 already.

The difference in quests is that each of the buldur gates quests have different meanings. And each chapter in buldur gates add a new depth towards the game. I feel the soryline in NWN was too 'same'. You have to collect this, collect that, kill this, kill that, etc, etc...

This game shouldn't be related to the Icewindale and Buldur's gate series.

Improvements which I like to say:

1: More items!!!!(especially unique ones) - the ability to create your own stuff was nice through
    2: The chapters are more linked together. The only thing that was linked together in the game is the cult. How about characters quests, and some side quests?
    3. Add more than one town per game. (I know, it eats up a lot of hard disk space, but nowadays we have 20gb to 40gb hard disks, right?)
    4. Make the cap levels higher, so you can feel more 'changes' towards your chracter. I think the creator of all this series deliberately give a low exp. cap, so if you want to get higher in levels, BUY THE EXPANSION PACK! right? :)
    5: Add more freedom in the game. The only areas I'm free is the main town.

Well, this are just some of my suggestions, hope the makers of this 'would be' great game, don't get hurt because of what I say here.

12. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

SP is really boring. :(
    if there wouldnt me module option i wouldnt even buy the game.

-lots of bugs
    -subquests missing
    -XP Cap very low -to buy the expansion
    -too easy
    -... lots of thing stated above

13. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

Just to note, once again, that the level cap is not a function of NWN nor of the SP adventure. That's the core D&D 3E rules (lots of other threads on the boards about this). But a very simple way of addressing the 'leveling up too fast' issue is to have fewer encounters and replace them with more opportunities for roleplaying, including puzzles that make you think rather than fight. That should make the character's advancement more closely match that of the PnP game.

[ August 28, 2002, 16:32: Message edited by: Gnolyn Lochbreaker ]

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmmm... I must be really easy to please because I had lots of fun with the SP game. I enjoyed all the little stories everywhere regardless of whether they were related to the main storyline or not.

The only dissappointments I had were with the problems associated with the lack of a party, but I knew that going in...

15. Kurtz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

It should be noted that most of the chapters followed a similar routine-you have to recover three or four items, with one lurking at the end of each possible route away from the central area.

16. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Indeed quests are that tipe(almost like diablo) go-to-the-deepest-dungeonlevel where you will find the bad boy Boss hiding. :(

17. scarampella Gems: 10/31

I agree, I hate the constant erranding. My character is a sorceror and I am pretty disappointed by the lame spells I have. I end up using rods and the scrolls I've purchased more than any of my learned spells. Also, I'm tired of opening chests only to find a few gold coins or a turqouise stone. Even the trapped ones don't hold much.
    Nowhere near as good as BGII. How can one play without hearing Minsc say "this is a den of stinkin' evil" anyhow?

18. Ron the Gnome Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

SP is a big dissapointed for anyuone who came from BG, although it might work for people who came from Diablo or others wars games. It miss all the features that made BG a great game, even without all the bugs and the video problems... Real shame because the characters have a tremendous potential, it could have been worth it with an add-on of good modules, but I'm still looking for a game to replace BG. Any suggestions?

19. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Well, having played singleplayer twice already I know all quests and their solutions by heart - not much of a challenge. So all I can do is to hope for Phlan and AORTA and ALFA and IWD-2 ;)

A pity I'll probably not be able to join the beta test at the weekend :( since I'll again be roaming around with my friends :roll: :spin:

20. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31

Just finished my second run through the SP game, thinking maybe I had missed some subquests or something. Nope. It's Diablo 2 all over again. Go here, hack, slash, find the "answer" in a chest somewhere. No real thinking involved. Nevertheless, once I start I have to finish.

The multiplayer has excellent potential, though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.