1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Newbie with problem...

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Uncle Korky, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Uncle Korky Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Firstly - greetings all. I hope someone will be able to assist me in my hour of need.

I've been playing NWN (the re-released 'Best of Atari' version) at home for the last month on a PC that has no internet connection. I created a character from scratch, and have now got a level 15 Bard who is just walking through the gate to Luskan.

However, every time I try this, the game crashes, as it tries to connect me to an internet game (on a PC with no link!), and then tells me I'm an invalid user!

I'm getting a little frustrated with this, as I've invested a lot of time building up this character and completing untold numbers of quests! Can anyone give me any helpful suggestions, please?

:confused:

2. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'm not sure what version of the program you've got, but there are likely updates that have been released since it was burned. Try getting the latest patch (1.64, now) from Bioware on some PC that does have a connection and applying it to your game.

This is just a guess, but it might fix your problem. I know of no reason why the SP campaign would try to connect to the internet and have played it on a machine with no active connection before.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think I remember the Luskan crash as something that was fixed in a patch ages so... it should have been fixed in the version you bought. What do you mean by "tries to connect me to an internet game"? The game modules themselves can't do anything of the sort on their own, unless you go to the Multiplayer menu and try to play them online...

4. Uncle Korky Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thanks for the advice! I'll try to seek out the patch you refer to, BigStick.

Taluntain - it seems you're as surprised as me! It does actually do this on its own. I presume (as this is as far as I've got), that walking through the gates of Luskan should start the next chapter of the game (as did bringing back Desther, earlier). However, my PC immediately tells me I'm an invalid user, and, when I click the 'Cancel' button on the pop-up, I'm in an internet dialogue screen within the game. I have to cancel and come back to the main menu.

I thought I'd try to be a little sneaky, and save my character. However, even starting chapter 2 with my saved bard produces the same effect. The only way I can actually get into Luskan is to do it with one of the pre-generated starting characters, who, naturally get trounced within the opening seconds.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This is very weird... I guess your character file could somehow have gotten corrupted, but I've never heard of this happening. I guess the official support forums are your best bet to get this resolved...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.