1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I'm pissed...

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by SlimShogun, Jun 14, 2002.

1. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Dear Applicant,

It's with remorse that we send you this rejection letter.

Username: SlimShogun

At this time, to the best of our understanding, your application does not match
    the player profile we are looking for.

Our task: To re-create
    the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting with accuracy, and help promote trust,
    friendship, and fair play to all of our players and DMs within the ALFA
    Community.

Thank you friend for your application, and please visit us again soon.

Regards,
    -The ALFA Crew www.alandfaraway.net

What a load of crap! It took them three months to get to my application, and I was rejected! Dammit Dammit Dammit! My application was beautiful...so beautiful...*cries*

2. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I really wouldn't worry about it. ALFA's overrated, and there will be plenty of other ways to play NWN online other than ALFA. I never bothered to reapply after my first one was rejected (I guess...way back when they didn't even send rejection letters). Heh, now, don't let these boards fool you. Not getting into ALFA isn't the end of the world. I wouldn't even worry about it. If you let them get to you, then they've accomplished their elitist mission. ;)

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hehe. True enough. But if you're still interested, try again when you can. I didn't get in on my first try, and the fact that it took them so long to decide means you were in the "maybe" pile, not in the "no way, no how" pile.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited June 14, 2002).]

4. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Oh, great!

Are there other, ALFA-similar ways to enjoy a great mulitplayer experience for NWN?

5. Cullain Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

6. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Even the best of us get turned down Slimshogun - Yes, even I was rejected the first time! Shocking, I know! But true just the same...I heard BTA actually bribed a judge to get in! But that's just what "they" said, and you know how "they" are!

Just sit back think about the Realms and think about how your character came about...Write a paragraph or two and send it back in!

7. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Well....I got a rejection notice as well...and I was really bummed out. Especially when I thought about the fact that I was playing D&D before most of the accepted players were born!

I'm curious.....NWN is a multiplayer game, but I haven't heard of anyone on this site talking about playing a multi-player game when it is released. Now, I've never played BG or SOA multi-player, but I'm kind of shocked that I've never seen anyone here mention hosting a game. I'd love to play(at least I think I would)NWN multi-player my first time through! Anyone here want to give it a shot?

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, I'm sure people will want to play multiplayer NWN, but I for one want to play it a bit single-handedly first to get the feel for it before trying any multi-player.

And Bel, it was more like blackmail than bribery... ;)

9. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I have a problem too with ALFA. I mean I haven't decided what my character should be, and now that I decided it the Player Apps are down :mad:

I am really pissed and if anyone knows a similar way to play NWN online please post a link.

10. Magnus Magicus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Look at Cullain's post in this thread.

And hey, I got rejected 3 times before they got so tired of me sending in apps they decided to accept me :D.

11. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Thanks for the tips...

12. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I got accepted with my first application. :good:

Is that bragging? ;) :holy:

13. stormhand Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Don't worry about not entering ALFA. I too had my application rejected when I submitted it, and I was a little peeved as well since I really liked the profile of my character.

However, somebody on these boards referred me to a different "persistent world" where I submitted the same application and I got accepted right away - got a reply overnight!

This world appears extremely well organized and the admins' goal is to keep it from becoming another "commercial site" such as ALFA. I think the goal is to keep it within 150 players or so. The community is still rather small, maybe some 80 accepted players to date, and I have no intention whatsoever to look back and reapply with ALFA. I found something I think will be even better, but that is just my humble opinion!! :heh:

So take the time to look around, ALFA is not the end of the world!! :rolleyes:

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Uh, excuse me? Commercial? Last time I checked ALFA was free for all. It has to be, all worlds have to be actually, by the EULA which prohibits making any money off NWN in such a way. But yes, ALFA is not the end if you don't get excepted there. There will probably be literally hundreds of worlds desperate for players which will take anyone on their servers, so no worries. (Not that I'm saying that your app was bad if you didn't get into ALFA, far from it. I'm merely saying that there will be a lot more places to play in than there will be actual players so practically everyone besides ALFA will not be turning people who want to play down.)

15. stormhand Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Mr. Tal, what I meant by "commercial" was not a reference to $$ but rather the fact that it is the most publicized and known PW, at least as far as I know!!! Also, the fact that they are willing to accept 1000 players makes it in my opinion an "unpersonal" game and that it is impossible to get to know all the players involved, whereas a smaller community has much better chances of everyone knowing each other.

As far as having my application turned down, I did not take it that badly; I understand that they might not have found my character as fitting to their game world, or another similar application could have already been accepted. It is sad that they do not provide feedback in their responses to let the players know why the application was refused, another reason why I consider the ALFA world as "commercial" - no personalized feedback. :(

Oups! Typo edit.

[This message has been edited by stormhand (edited June 15, 2002).]

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, they ARE trying to recreate the whole of Faerun. Of course you can't expect to get to know everyone who'll be playing there...

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited June 15, 2002).]

17. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

For everyone's information, there is a 60-100 hours long official campaign in this game. It's not the end of the world if you cannot play online in ALFA. We have survived with single player only before.

There's also probably several other good places to play online if you just bother to look for them.

18. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

True enough about the single player game. My main pet pieve about that is I really don't like single player games where it's just your character going solo, and based on my experiences with Arcanum, I don't really like henchmen either. I see why it was done, but I still don't really like it. (And I don't really consider a summoned beast and a familiar anything to talk about as all the designers seem to when talking about a NWN "party" or "group"). I'm very interested in playing multiplayer (maybe not persistant worlds, but at least multiplayer) if only because I'd like to balance out the gameplay experience at least a little. We'll see soon enough I guess, but I still beleive the single player experience is going to suffer the way it's layed out right now.

19. Taluntain

Media:
    You DO get to have one NPC (or, in the new terms now, henchman or better, henchperson). How'd you think you could have romances in the game otherwise? ;)

20. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Two questions Tal:
    - do I get the "henchman" in multiplayer game, and if yes, how many different henchmans are available for 100 players? Or we get the same henchman? :p
    - what if I play male hero and my henchman is also male? :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.