1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I've been thinking about playing the modules...

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Sir Belisarius, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] And I have a question:

I never finished NWN because the game seemed kinda boring. Are the other modules any better? I own SoU and HotU, but I bought them mainly to play in ALFA. Are the modules worth playing?

I'm also trying to decide on which pc to make:

Sir Belisarius, paladin extraordinaire, Or...

Nimbul Alewine, the crafty halfling rogue.

2. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] SoU is a very entertaining module, though it's VERY short. A paladin character will do very well in SoU, since you get a Holy Avenger very early in the game.

HoTU is only slightly longer than SoU, but it's much grander in scale, since it's an epic campaign. I give it the thumbs up, like I've done so previously on this forum.

Bringing your paladin to HoTU will be great as well. You can then take Weapon Master or Champion of Torm levels for a much more combat oriented paladin. Or you can blow 1 level on sorcerer, and the next 10 on Red Dragon Disciple for uber stat boosts. Or you can slaughter a few innocents and then become a Blackguard for both Divine Grace and Unholy Grace, which stack to give you supreme saving throws.

The possibilities are endless.

A rogue will have a lot of difficulty in SoU's beginning and even more at HoTU's end. Not recommended.

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Thanks for the suggestions, Shura...You're always so knowledgeable about the pally's! ;) :lol:

I'm beginning to think rogues are only good in PW worlds online or in rogue oriented custom mods...

4. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Hey, when I have to kill them, I have to know them, right? :D

Hope you enjoy your gaming, Bel! ;)

5. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

You may very well be right about the rogues. Many modules have at least one section where you have to kill something strong which necessitates some very experienced play if you're a rogue. Nevertheless they have lots of cool skills, it's just hard at the earlier levels.

6. Kiranos Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

If you want a greater roleplay experience, buy the second expansion "Hords of the Underdark". The roleplaying aspect is far greater than the original campaign.

7. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Edit - 'modules' rather than 'expansion' threw me. The below doesn't really apply. Still, if anyone is familiar with the below I'd like to hear what they have to say.

I have heard people say some mods are good for a thief. I haven't played them though. Some I recall include:

Honor Among Thieves
    The book of Shaddowe
    A Hunt Through the Dark (I read it was a good Assassin game).

Honor Among Thieves and A Hunt Through the Dark look the most interesting to me.

8. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I played through a hunt through the dark part one and two. I thought it was really great. But part three crashed constantly, so I stopped there. That was at the time with all that patch problems anyway, I think for other game versions, it seemed to work smoothly. But the best thief module I've ever played was guild war.

9. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

@ Iago...by "Guild Wars" I assume you mean "Company of Thieves Pt1 and Pt2". I think they are also called "Grand Theft Otto" and "Metal of Honor" respectively. Excellent modules for a Rogue character, and very challenging. Save often however, because they can be a little buggy at times with NPC changing reaction to you from friendly to enemy for no reason.

The 5 part "Shadowlords" series is pretty good once it gets going. And of course there is "Witches Wake" which is also very good.

10. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

No, no, "guild war", I didn't have the name accurately present. It was the first offering of the guy who made the "moonlight" (or so) paladin series. While I don't like the paladin series, I thought "guild war" really rocked. It's a pretty old mod. I wished that guy would have made some more thief mods.

11. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

yeah guild war is cool if you like playing rogue.

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Actually, I played as a ranger 1/shadow dancer 1/rogue X and I did not have any problems in HotU except for keeping my henchmen alive. I did not play my character as an archer either which would have made it even easier. Sneak attacks become ungodly at high levels and even those bosses/constructs/undead that are immune to sneak attack can be quickly cut down by hit and hide tactics.

Spoiler
    The only real problem I had was the demi-lich who seemed to be invulnerable to my +10 weapons but a series of holy water gernades took him down easily enough.

13. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I played some like Hunt through the UNderdark and Dragon of Vethboro, but I can't see why people rave about them. THey didn't seem better than the vanilla campaigns to me.

14. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I've just started A hunt through the dark.
    It's pretty decent, but whoever created it didnt know enough about Drow. They are wicked, but not enough. And they bring torches and light fires around. :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.