1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Character levels at Chapter 2 ...

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Spliff Krieger, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I was just wondering, what is the level your character normally should have when leaving Chapter 1?

I'm playing NWN on a LAN with a friend of mine, and we're both almost level 7. We still have quite a few side-quests to do, and ofcourse the final battles of the first chapter.
    Are we on course, or should we have attained a higher level already?

And does it make a difference in earning xp when playing with two players or when solo-playing with a henchman?

2. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Fighter type characters will usually go into Chapter 2 at about 7th level. Spellcasters, depending upon how they have been structured, will be about 9th to 10th level. My best has been a Wizard at 11th level, but you have to take advantage of certain game mechanics to get there. Therefore, if you are playing fighter type characters (fighters, rangers, paladins, etc.) then you are right on track.

I know that having a henchman will suck up XP, however, I am not familiar enough with multiplayer to be able to answer your last question.

3. SC Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

My ranger was a level 8, my fighter a level 7, my rogue a level 8, and my bard at level 7. I did almost all quests, though I also had a henchman. You're quite on track. I've never seen anyone get to level 11, so I definitely applaud to that.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I couldn't get my paladin to level 8 IIRC. And I think I didn't exceed the amounth of XP needed for level 7 by much, either.

5. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

SC,

How did you manage to get a Ranger to 8th level while your Bard was only 7th? Rangers do not get an ECL adjustment, while Bards get one all the way till 14th level.

Getting a spell caster to 11th level isn't that hard if one understands the ECL system. A fifth level wizard earns XP for killing monsters at the same rate as a 2nd level fighter. A monster that earns a 5th level fighter 13 XP will bring in 60-75 XP for a Wizard of the same level. Thus, the wizard will advance faster than the fighter and quickly pass him in levels.

If one stayed as a Wizard, then the best one could do is probably 9th level by the end of Chapter One. The key to seeing higher levels is to advance as a Wizard to the ECL "sweet spot" of 5th level and then take a prestige class or a different class. The ultimate ECL favored combination would be a 5th level Wizard / 5th level Cleric / Bard. From character levels 11 to 24 this combination would be earning XP at the same rate as a fighter 7 levels lower! Players who have tried this combination report finishing the OC at level 23-24 whereas a Ranger would probably finish at 16th level.

6. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

@ Spliff

I was 9th level (Paladin1/Monk1/Sorcerer7) when I fought the final battle in Chapter 1, with approx. 3000 XP to go until 10th level.

My henchman (Sharwyn) was 8th lvl, IIRC.

It seems like you're progressing pretty normally, though it's been a while since I multiplayed, so I can't remember how that progressed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.