1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: A question of early cheese...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Jaguar, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I just started BG again with a NE Halfling fighter/thief and I did something in Candlekeep that left a slight cheesy taste in my mouth, so I'm looking for validation.

I was caught stealing and called one of the Watchers an 'Upity bald virgin' or something of the sort, and we got into a tussle. I won.

Now, I am a level one fighter theif, not even out of Candlekeep, with platemail armor. I know its technicaly not cheating, but I am hasted by a potion of haste, and am wielding Hull's long sword. Even on insane, I managed to kill him.

So, judges of Sorcerer's Place, is it cheese?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 33 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: A question of early cheese... (33 votes.)

Is killing a watcher and using his armor cheese? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, horrible limburger-like stinky cheese. - 9% (3)
    * Well, kinda... - 15% (5)
    * Nope, not a cheese in sight. Ham maybe, but no cheese. - 76% (25)

2. Emmanuel Julius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

a little maybe, I mean I would expect a guard to have at least some decent equipment on him so....

3. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I don't think so; it's not like you pulled any kind of cheest tactics or the infamous export trick to get the upper hand or anything. You beat him fair and square.

Of course...then there's the slightly awkward sight of a level 1 halfling fighter/thief waltzing around Candlekeep in the (presumably) blood-stained armour of one of the now deceased guards...

4. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

No. Using swords and potions in battles is acceptable. If you had buffed up or used spells in advance, then that would have been cheese.

You can also beat Firebead(sp?) and get loads of xp, although you need to be very lucky and will lose reputation.

5. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Cheese? Not at all; remember that it's a cruel world outside Candlekeep... not inside.

Besides, if you're an expert at BG... Could we expect less of the great Jaguar? I don't think so.

So please, kill Sarevok one on one and give us some screenshots of the battle :p

6. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I've done it on occasion, and although it's not exactly cheating, I do have a bad conscience afterwards. It makes the game a little easy at that point, but it won't be long before you can buy shadow armour or full plate anyway... just swallow your pride for a few minutes then replace it nice and legitimately.

7. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Hey, he went for you and the spoils to the winner :D . Although I did think that the whole place would have gone hostile to you?

8. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Yeah, but I really felt bad killing the sick people in the beds.

9. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Okay, as long as you atone for your action later then travel on with my blessings. By the way here's some sweeties and you can stay up late tonight, thats what the dark side has to offer :D

10. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I don't consider this as cheesing, i think you made an incredible roll, a 1 in 1.000.000 perhaps.

11. Shandris Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

They dont even sell plate mail at candlekeep so why not kill him for it? it makes perfect sense to me =)

12. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

It isn't cheating nor cheese. Also, if you had buffed up before, that wouldn't have been okay in my book as well. I mean, you "accidently" get caught in order to ambush the guard and take his belongings.

But of course, you would have to be evil for that, and since you were, it is fine by me.

13. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

No it's fine and fair, fair and fine.

Not to mention it gives new signifigance to Gorion telling you you must hurry. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.