1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hardest/Worst encounter so far?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Rhythm, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Without revealing too much, what has been the toughest encounter so far for you?

I definitely had problems fighting Madelan's (sp?) assistant in Chapter 1. His Ice Storm absolutely devastated me, every time. After a few times, I drank a potion of Haste, Cat's Grace, summoned everything I could and went in guns blazing. He never had a chance.

In Chapter 3 I entered a house requiring me to break wards in order to banish a Lich. The build-up (for another Kangaxx) was hopeful but in the end I was sorely disappointed. They just don't make them like they used to anymore :(. Hopefully I shall meet a Lich of the same stature soon.

But I must say that the worst encounter for me so far was a meeting in a brothel with (of all people) another Jansen ;).

[This message has been edited by Rhythm (edited July 01, 2002).]

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The absolute horror came over me when my pally and stupid Tomi encountered Brother Toras and his undead fanclub. While the undead were a piece of cake Toras was of a completely different calibre. :eek: 15 reloads :eek:

Of course Toras first dispelled all my protections and enhancements. He was easily able to deal out 45 damage in a round with flame arrow or a similar spell and that's how it normally went: Toras was stone- or barkskinned and I had to wear off that first - without spellcaster support. Inbetween Toras then casted hold person on my pally and then started casting acid arrow, magic missile till my char was dead - usually at a point when he had managed to bring Toras to near dead Toras. And then there was the problem with Tomi ...

Maybe I was a little too low level (lvl-10)for that encounter - anyway, it was really annoying and it greatly depleted my supply of potions and healing kits. Since Tomi never considered to use a healing potion I had to heal him instead of fighting to prevent him from beeing killed, leaving me unable to open the chests left in that dungeon, fun, fun, fun :mad:

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited July 01, 2002).]

3. DailyRich Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The mummies in Quint Jhareg's tower. Met three of them, and I failed my fear check. So I start running. Through a room with three more mummies. More failed fear checks. Ran through a room with four curst rangers. They give chase. Still unable to control my character because of the fear, I run through about six rooms and end up with eight mummies, six curst rangers, and some other assorted undead all standing around my helpless character. Thank Tyr for a 32 AC.

4. darkelf Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

With Toras I filled up on spells, and yes, I'm a fighter. I used Summon Creature (lvl 3 and 4) also used the recall stone when he negatated my spells. Recall, Heal and attack and so forth.

5. DiLune Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Well, I guess I was lucky with Toras. Aside from Linu's little blunder he went rather quickly for me. Of course, I was a 14th lvl Paladin at the time which does help.

6. Scalphunt3r Gems: 1/31

one word: dragons :(

7. Rhythm Gems: 11/31

Veteran

[​IMG] I still have not encountered any dragons as of yet :(. I've fooled around with the DM client and I've seen what an Ancient Red Dragon can do. Certainly would be impossibly hard to beat but I love challenges.

I shall relish the chance of meeting one.

8. Syrel Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I ran into a battle devourer the other night and man it took me a loooong time to kill it. it absorbs the first 20 dmg and i could only hit it on a critical.
    so in order for me to dmg it i had to roll a critical then do more then 20 dmg with that hit or it would say weopon ineffective (which it said most of the time)
    so every 5-6 criticals i hit i would do dmg once.

Ran into my first Dragon today and those suckers are tough. although the battle devourer took me longer to kill it really wasn't much of a threat to me cause it missed as much as me and didn't do alot of dmg. but that dragon was insane. i think i went through 15-20 cure critical potions.
    hope i dont' see to many more dragons :mommy:

9. wylo Gems: 1/31

A Balor i met with on a multiplayer module.
    It took me about 20 min to kill, and it kept respawning. The 3rd time it respawned, it would'nt die after nearly 1 hour of combat!

10. darkelf Gems: 2/31

Dragons are indeed tough. Anyone tried to kill the red dragon in Chapter 3 yet? TOUGH! He's impossible.

11. Syrel Gems: 6/31

I killed the red dragon in chap 3 he wasn't that hard actuelly i found him easier then the white dragon in the snow globe.

make sure you give him the tainted dead dragon globe first though so he starts off badly wounded. :)
    he does hit damn hard though! 145+ dmg on that fire breath! nasty.

however i met up with I think it was a hill Giant champion and he was damn hard! so far he is the hardest guy i've faced with my char. took me a long time to kill him and lots of running and hiding and resting and then sneak attacking. I think he killed me like 10 times which is the most any monster has done to me.
    Guess it depends what class you are as well. :D

12. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The dragons are clearly the toughest things I fought, though some of the knockdown using champion guys were pretty nasty too (despite my having max discipline and a +6 Discipline item!).

I had a hard time with the Red Dragon even after giving him the poison sphere. I can't imagine taking him out without doing so. The white dragon was pretty tough, too, but the Amulet of the Ages helped a lot there. The improved power attack and knockdown attacks those dragons use are very nasty. If I didn't have a Greater Swordsman's Belt, I'm sure I would have died. It was close a numerous times as it was.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

13. Syrel Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] just fought a half-dragon balor lord and he was $%@$% hard!

14. Rhythm Gems: 11/31

Veteran

Hmm, the White Guardian Dragon was a bit of a letdown for me. It was almost the same as a fight with a Battle Devourer.

I found it hard to hit the Dragon, but it seemed that it had a harder time trying to hit me. So we were pretty even in that case. It's breath hardly damaged me, so the both of us just took swipes at each other. After some time, I got bored, so I recalled Sharwyn (who had died earlier in another quest), summoned my Animal Companion (I'm a Druid), Awakened it, and finally summoned a Huge Water Elemental. The only ones who seemed to be hitting and doing real damage was my bear and the elemental.

Then, I turned up the difficulty to Hard, and finally, it turned into a challenge for me.

I hope the Red Dragon won't disappoint.

15. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The Red Dragon was definitely harder than the white dragon, which is not surprising considering that white dragons are the weakest species around. And this particular Red Dragon is perhaps a bit more than your average ancient Red.

Also, I play on 'core rules' or whatever the next up difficulty from default is called. It definitely makes a difference.

aloha
    Vormaerin

16. Izlude120 Gems: 2/31

hmm, my hardest enemy. That would be the weak goblins. LOL

17. Rhythm Gems: 11/31

Veteran

Ha ha Izlude :rolleyes:

Anyway, I found that a Balor Lord you fight eventually in Chapter 3 to be the hardest so far for me. Harder than the Dragon, I must say. Even before the fight I was already injured and without spells (Druid), I thought I could kick anybody's ass. Looks like I need to rest up before fighting it :(.

18. mASSIVe Gems: 2/31

the final battle is quite a setup. if you get surrounded, your so dead...

19. Izlude120 Gems: 2/31

I just finished the prelude so realy I have only fought goblins. Dang slow comp, thats why Im so far behind everyone. But finnaly I conviced my mom to let me upgrade our RAM.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.