1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What type of games are you all designing?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Herr'Don, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Herr'Don Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I was wondering if you were basing them on D&D Campaigns, Fantasy Book settings, or making your own up? I'm making my own world up, and am half way through designing the NPCs (in advance). I plan on designing a fair ammount of the game before NWN even comes out, because I'm on a tight schedule to release it,

Herr'Don

Well, I've come up with a few unique plots for characters and such will make NPC selection alot more fun, and each NPC subplot will result in them either getting an increase in stats or an item that belongs to them.

Also, although I'm not allowed to let out much details, the world will be a mix of the favoured genres: i.e. hack'n'slash and BG-like. I plan on making the dungeons large and with interesting puzzles, and then I'm making sure the storyline is good too.

I will also make sure that you never get a powerful item found in a barrel or something, instead you must complete a dungeon, fight for it, etc.

One thing which has bogged us down is the starting level. There will be dragons in this, and they wont be on their own, so level 1 might be a little too hard. Maybe level 5 would be a good start, but then the game will offer you so many quests that you'll probably be level 10 before you even see a dragon, and then level 20 before you face the endboss.

This is all the info I can let out at the moment.

[This message has been edited by Herr'Don (edited July 08, 2001).]

2. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

being that I'm not very deep into the d&d world but I love the world of mod-making I am going to base mine on some actual events in history, some on myths, and then us my imagination for another

3. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] The backdrop, world map, cities, towns and such will be based on a old D&D world I made about 15 years ago. I may use some of the old NPCs but I think I will make many new ones. The plot for modules well all be new, since some of my players were around for the original world. Books for a good resource but remember stelling from one is plagerism but taking from many is research. ;)

4. Erran Gems: 19/31

If Tal is up for it, it might be a nice idea to put some modules up here at Sorcerer's Place (dunno how big they are going to be?) or at least links to them. That way we could play in one another's worlds, and maybe vote for our favourites.

5. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31

There could always be a co-op by the people that are on the forum, like we could start thinking of what we could put in it, like npc's and quests and enemies and such, we could have a topic dedicated to it, with people posting ideas and stat sheets on enemies and npc's, then when the game is released in 5 or 6 years we'll have an entire world, the span of like bg,or bg2 and tob, then, cause the game has all the necessary tools we'll have people build different parts of the world on their comps and send them to one person when its all done. we'd just tell each other what graphics to use and the terrain and such.

6. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Wow... :rolleyes:

*throws some Capital Letters and periods at Shadow Assassin*

Use Them!! :p

7. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

:DLOL :D

8. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Shadow, holy run-on, coma-splice man! All things aside not a bad idea. Getting things setup will be a bit of work and I think no matter how much effort we put into it the outcome will be a little choppy, but it's worth a try.

I assume NWN will allow 'area' on a world map like the BG games. If we each work on a area and then talk about putting them all together. I might work. We'd just want to insure a clear balance between areas. Having the PC get a +5 weapon might is OK for one area and totally unbalanced or others. Hence the organization is the key.

9. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31

I did have a Cap AND a period in there. If everyone used the same palletes, and confine the enemies and certain others to their respective areas that could help with the chop. Also one person could take the different areas we've made and combine them into one fluid world just like in actual game programming only easier because that person won't have to change everything completely. Or we could send our different areas to each other at different stages of developement that way we each know how the other person thinks and we could all find some middle ground that combine the best aspects of each persons particular style.

10. Drizzt Banned

i am recreating baldurs gate 1 and 2 together in neverwinter nights.
    all together you will be playing the BG series in a new third person perspective.

11. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] By third person - do you mean the graphics or that you PC in the adventure will not by the main characters? I think if it's the same as BG or BG2 - which most of us have played - where the suprise, the fun?

12. Herr'Don Gems: 3/31

I have just been told that I can let you all know a bit more about our new NWN game.

It is entirely non-D&D world, which will allow for more surprises. To find out more information about the world you will have to read the books that your PC can find in the world. These will not only give you info about the story-line, but will be essesntial reading for some quests and riddles.

So far a starting level of 5 has been agreed on, but if we actual stick to this is another story.

The main "boss" character is a very tough Dragon. What makes him really tough is that he fights with other monsters as well. It is estimated that most of your characters will be level 15-20 before facing him.

The storyline has been roughly sketched out. All NPC's storylines, quests, etc have been made. There's a fair ammount to choose from -18 NPC's, and they are fairly balanced.

No more info is allowed at this time.

Herr'Don

13. Drizzt Banned

i dunno man, you dont sound like you are really a member of the NWN team, but, if you are... plz plz plz dont make us start at level 5, 1 is fine. leave it at 1

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I believe Herr'Don is talking about a module he and others are developing themselves for NWN.

The official game is D&D based of course.

15. Herr'Don Gems: 3/31

Sorry if I made you think otherwise, but I was talking about a module game using the NWN Toolkit.

NWN will allow you to start at different levels, so our team have stuck with a level 5 start.

If you indeed want to play our game when it is released, then we would welcome your opinions on anything you wish us to include.

Just remember though, our world is entirely non-D&D so no "have a fight with Elminster or Drizzt" suggestions, please.

Herr'Don

16. ayecapitan Guest

What he means here is that the world is non-FR, methinks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.