1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SoU is impossible (early game spoilers)

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by D_Odds, Dec 16, 2003.

1. D_Odds Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I know I'm behind the power curve, having just started SoU when HotU came out, but I'm finding the campaign to be nearly impossible. To ask a L3/2 Rogue/Ranger and Xanos to take on elementals under the gnoll caverns is useless. Way too early for a foe of that level. I can kill one, trick another into the hall, but that leaves two, and the only chance I have is luck and reloading. I don't find encounters I have to reload 15 times hoping for a lucky roll enjoyable. Nor do I find designing the most 'efficient' PC imaginable enjoyable. I enjoy playing a rogue and prefer finding the least combat intensive options available for any encounter (especially without Minsc, Keldorn, Korgan, Mazzy, etc. to back my up :cool: )

Too bad SoU is required for the online campaign setting I play. Between the last few encounters of the OC and SoU, I hope that the campaign does NOT upgrade to HotU anytime soon, as I've seen the way these series are going and I don't want to go there with them

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    SoU is really a great game. There are a few places that are more difficult than others, but most of the game is not that tough.

When I was where you are (I played a Ranger with the Dwarf Rogue/Cleric henchperson) I didn't have that much difficulty with the Elementals, but I don't remember what level I was. Are there any other quests that you haven't completed? Maybe if you were higher in level it wouldn't be that tough.

The most frustrating part of the game for me was near the end. It was really pretty easy for me to do the part, but it was almost impossible for me to keep my henchman alive because she just wouldn't do as I told her :mad: All she had to do was stay out of it, or at least not melee with a particular monster and everything would have been fine. But no, every friggen time she'd end up dead. Finally, by constantly giving her orders at the same time as doing what I had to do I was able to pull it off...

There are many really fun and interesting parts to the game IMO, so I say: Don't give up! :)

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Is it me or is SOU primarily meant for a paladin protagonist?

The game is unbelievably hard if you aren't a paladin.

For those paladin players, you know what I'm talking about.

4. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

With a fighter 4 barbarian x I couldn't finish the game, even on the easiest setting spells would tear me apart. My friend who had a paladin had an extremely easy time with the game, so I would tend to agree. My cleric went through pretty easy, as did my fighter 2 rogue x.

I would recommend since hopefully you have a decent stealth is to sneak up on them and try to use a sneak attack. Also try and make Xanos tank for you, so you can attack from the side and get the extra sneak attack damage. Make sure you put some point in use magic item, because I had to use some scroll to be able to surivive some parts.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Enlighten me. I played a straight Ranger and didn't find it all that difficult...

6. Watts Gems: 1/31

Now, I try to avoid making posts where I mock other's but I really can't help it.

The first time I played the game (with a pure rogue/shadowdancer) it was hard, but I beat it.

Now I am playing through with a (currently) Bard4/Rogue2

And yet, I am mysteriously doing fine, sure I have to use a few focus crystals, but so what? I don't think they were put in the game just so you *wouldn't* and of course it's quite simple and cheap to get more, now, here are my tips;

A. Any Fighter type will have a much easier time

B. Using a ranged weapon made the game alot easier for me.

And, C. If your having a tough time (early in the game) go somewheres else, at least at this point their are 3 or 4 area's to explore with no real "set order" (I.E. Nether Mountains, High Forest)

Now I beat it the first time on the "normal" difficulty, and it was hard, but certainly not "impossible" in fact it was quite refreshing from the usual "hack, yay I win, slash, yay I win" gameplay I've grown used to.

7. fade Gems: 13/31

Because rangers get divine spells, and their saving throws do better than a fighter, because rangers generally have a higher dex and wisdom. They also have animal companions which help a bit.

8. Deran Gems: 1/31

Hm. I was about to post that I didn't have a hard time with my ranger either, but fade has a point in that last reply.

Anyhow, I was going to take a Paladin through SoU and HotU, but now I am thinking about a challenge.

Which Class, do you think, would have the tougher time? A Cleric or a Rogue?

9. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I played through with a straight fighter (boring I know) and there were certain points where I really needed to rely on particular items. I don't remember finding the game too hard (I played on normal) but there were frustrating moments until I found items to nullify different effects (I could never have completed the game without the electrical resistant helmet).

Fire giants were particularly hard - it seemed like I had to rest after fighting each one.

10. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I played through as a rogue/shadowdancer, no henchmen, the *only* part of the game I had trouble with, was that scythe wielding "wind zombie" thing that could crit for 70+ damage. God I hated that thing.

I ended up leading it through about a dozen deadly rated traps to finally kill it.

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Yeah, that's the guy I was talking about. It's really easy to kill as long as you don't melee with it, and that's easy to do because it's so slow. But my stupid henchperson continually got killed by it.

12. Nazgul Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I have played it through with a Straight Monk. It was difficult in some spots, but I beat it.

13. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31

I've done it straight monk and rogue/shadowdancer and it wasn't bad with either. The elementals would have been way too much for the rogue if not for a certain skill ;) . All in all I thought that it was a fairly easy game.

14. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The only time that is hard playing a Paladin is the first kobold that you face outside Drogans home, and those that you meet before you hit level 2 or more. But when you find the Holy Avenger in Kel-Garras tomb...

Now i'm playing through as a Sorcerer, possible Arcane Archer, without any henchmen, and, like the Paladin, the game is hard only in the beginning, when you don't have any powerfull spells or weapons...

But, i agree with Blackthorne... Don't give up! ;)

15. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I never really had any problems with SOU and I played it through from start to finish with a pure fighter. The only fights I had problems with were the ones you're not supposed to win: the hill giant (with my 2nd level fighter!) and the white dragon (without using the item that transforms you into a frost giant!)

16. D_Odds Gems: 1/31

Not having a good save to restart the quest and it being early in the game, I started anew. By soloing much of the beginning, and finishing everything short of killing the dragon before venturing into J'Nah's chamber, I was able to (barely) beat the elementals with Dorna as a henchman. J'Nah was easy in comparison (the ability to sneak attack makes a HUGE difference).

Still, playing the game at core level basically means that I rely more on lucky rolls (or avoid unlucky ones) to get through. With minimal control over henchmen (usually leaving them behind, setting up traps, and leading the monsters through the traps back to the henchman), the game is not very tactical - both a bad and a good thing (Baldur's Gate w/ Ascension was TOO tactical for a recreational player like myself).

D_Odds

(P.S. - I allowed Xanos to be killed twice; first during the kobold attack and second during the stinger attack. Oh well, I'd rather have Deekin along anyway; his personality isn't as grating as the other two. Too bad I can't take Misha)

17. Keyper of the 7 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Emm, after reading MOST of the posts I'm guessing I'd get shout at if I were to say that I actually found the game to be TOO easy. Then again I logically thought that you were suposed to import your OC character after actually beating the OC. By the time I did that my character was a level 16 Wizard (currently 18 at the Dead Wind part) and the entire SotU campaign has been redicoulously easy. Then again I started with a 16th level character so my real question is, why didn't you?

18. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I tried that at first, but when I started wiping out clans of kobolds with one swing and great cleave, I realized this module wanted you to start over at level 1.

19. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I didn't have too much of a hard time with the game starting from level one with a rogue, and most of the time I left my henceman behind because they always got in the way :rolleyes: .
    In chapter one it's pretty free to explore and find out what to do in the search for the artifacts so starting at an easirer place was my tactic :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.