1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Adventurous Bard In Need Of Spell Help

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Big B, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Hello SPers! Long time, no see (my fault, I know, life is busy). I am just getting around to playing NWN first time through, crazy enough. I have Platinum edition. I have created a halfling bard, he's great. I'm in chapter 2 of the OC. Everything was fine, until now...

I leveled him up to level 10. Yay now I can get my first two level 4 spells right? Hmm, I think I will pick Dominate Person and Hold Monster. OK, done leveling up. OK, now I rest. OK let's check out my spells. Hey wait a minute! How come a big fat zero shows up next to my level 4 spells? I can't cast my new level 4 spells?!?!

Now I know what you are thinking. Old Big B must have missed that part about Bards needing charisma level (10 + the level of spell you are trying to cast) in order to cast a spell. But that's just it. My bard has 17 charisma (16 originally, and +1 with a nymph's cloak).

So what's the deal? What rule have I missed? Or is this a fluke? I drank a potion of Eagle's Splendor to get a Charisma of 22 and that didn't seem to help either. I thought maybe it was the spell school I had picked. Dominate Person and Hold Monster are enchantments I believe, but that doesn't make any sense either because I have cast charm person with this bard earlier and that worked just fine. I have a dismal 4 skill points in Spellcraft, but that shouldn't affect this should it? Anyways I jumped that number to 10 during a trial level-up and that didn't do anything to help the situation.

My character is not diseased or stupified or anything silly like that. He is fit as a fiddle. His stats are:

Str 10
    Dex 17
    Con 12
    Int 14
    Wis 10
    Char 17

Help me please!

2. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Did you rest?

3. Big B Gems: 27/31

Sure did. Three times even just to be sure.

4. ObviousDelirium Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

When you get a new spell level with a bard, you usually can pick two new spells, however, you can't cast them just yet, you have to wait untill you get to the next level before you can do that. So basicly, bards gain more spells then they can cast.

5. Big B Gems: 27/31

Thank you FireKnight, I can live with that. I'd rather wait than have a bug.

6. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Yeah, if you look in the bard tables at the end of the manual, you'll see that at level 10 the bard gets to cast 0 level 4 spells. which struck me like being funny; why not just say that you cannot cast a level 4 spell yet?

but actually you can, provided your charisma is great enough to give you an extra level 4 spell; but for this you'd need a charisma of 18 (and this should be from character abilities + item modifiers - like cloaks-; potions or spells won't help, since the effects are dispelled when you start to rest).

So, if you can get a nymph's cloack +2, you should be able to cast one level 4 spell.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.