1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need Cleric Creation Help (mostly feat stuff)

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Jatsu, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Jatsu Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hello everyone,

I am making a "balanced cleric" that should be able to serve as a tank, as well as a good caster. I will only be using this character for single player experiences, so keep that in mind. I will be roleplaying, to some extent anyway, a Lathander worshipping cleric. So I am going to select the Sun domain, and probably the Strength domain.. although I hear that is useless so I may go with Air instead. The reason I am creating this cleric, is so that I can enjoy the game to the fullest extent, because the cleric has access to great weapons, armor, AND spells. So while I do not wish to handicap this character, I also do not intend to make him overly powerful, so that the game will not be somewhat challenging for me.

Currently my plan is as follows:

Human
    14STR, 10DEX, 14CON, 16WIS, 10INT, 12CHA
    Skills = Concentration: Maxed, Spellcraft: Maxed, Persuade: Some, Search: 6-10 points.
    Feats= Power Attack, Cleave, Martial Weapons (for warhammers and heavy flails), Extend Spell, Combat Casting, Knockdown, Spell Penetration, Toughness, Empower Spell, Maximize Spell (please help me organize these feats into a good order of taking them)
    Also advice on things you think I should remove, add, or change from the plan would be appreciated.

I plan on taking 1 level of fighter for hitpoints, martial weapons, attack bonuses, and feats. Please advise as to if and when to take these levels (possibly paladin may be better instead of fighter, if only for roleplaying reasons-Lathanders lawful clerics can freely multi-class as paladins.. although I'm not quite sure I wish to be lawful)

2. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Aaaah! I love your Character allready!
    Sun domain is nasty! Very good! You should see these zombies near the graveyard. Gather about 12 of them, hit the button et voila! Pick extra turning! and maybe you could get some more charisma, though I don't know where to take them off (maybe con?)

read and download some cleric guides, they make sense:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/NWN/index_tips.php

Btw, I choose Magic domain for some extra spells. Quite nice!

I didn't like lawfull. I am Neutral Good, just like Lathander himself.
    I picked 1 level of fighter in the prelude to get these heavy flails and warhammers. I think I will get 4 levels since I will melee quite a lot and because I want a nice whack with the flail (Lathanders Weapon of choice)

Since my cleric has Con:12, I decided to pick combat casting at first. After that I chose power attack and cleave. Maximize spell would be nice for boosting your character.

I got my concentration and persuade skills maxed (roleplaying aspect) Every 5 points in Spellcraft
    gives a +1 to ST against magic (iirc)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2017
  3. Bazarov Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

If you are going to take a level of Fighter, the time to do it is at level 4 or higher. Weapon Specialization is not the same as in 3rd rules; you don't need 4 levels of fighter, just be 4th level and have 1 level of fighter.
    Also, I'd go for 14 dex 10 con instead. HPs aren't really going to be a problem for you, probably. Anything that can kill you in one flurry will probably suck up those extra 2 per level as well; anything that won't.. can be healed. 14 dex would give you 2 higher AC even in most armors, better missile fire, possibility of Dodge and Combat Reflexes (+4AC against attacks of opportunity--e.g. spell casting and running away, nice).
    Knockdown is overrated, and you will not have the base attack to make it a worthwhile attempt.
    Weapon Focus isn't on your list, but consider it; +1 to hit matters, especially for a cleric.
    You might consider Silent Spell, also, as it only pushes the spell level up 1, some spells are worth casting even at 1 level higher (are better than the level higher spells <especially if you choose a domain that gives some mage spells!>). Also, since Silence is a radius spell, you could silence yourself... could be a useful technique against enemy spellcasters.
    As for order, leave Maximize to a point when you can even cast 5th level spells. Save Toughness for when it pays off more.

4. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well I can't see any thing wrong. Just add weapon focus for your melee weapons.

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree with Bazarov that Knockdown isn't the best choice for a cleric.

About the Dex-bonus/Armor type thing: Is there a good enchanted Half/Fullplate Armor? For a cleric of lathander, that is? And where could I find it (if not at random?)

6. Jatsu Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Thanks everyone for your advice. This is how my plans are looking now..

Cleric, Oriseus Zora
    Human
    14str, 10dex, 14con, 15wis, 12int, 12cha
    Sun, Strength

Skills
    Concentration – Max
    Spellcraft – Max
    Persuade
    Search (Only 6-10 points)
    Lore (6 points)

Feats (in order)
    Power Attack
    Combat Casting
    Cleave
    Extend Spell
    Lightning Reflexes
    Toughness
    Spell Penetration
    Maximize Spell
    Empower Spell

I took Power Attack and Combat Casting first at creation, then at level 2 I took a level of fighter, and Cleave was the feat I took with that level so that at level 3 I was able to take Extend Spell when I went back to cleric. In order to take Weapon Spec I'd also have to take Weapon Focus.. and together thats 2 feats that I'd have to do without that I'm already taking. Not only that, but I can't decide what type of weapon I would focus on.. I like warhammers, flails, morningstars, maces... I want to have the flexability to be able to use whatever I find that I like.. I don't know if I could comit to just one of those types of weapons.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.