1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Does anyone still play this game...

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Hacken Slash, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Very quiet around this forum. If you are still playing, sound off. What is your best moment in the game so far. And if you quit, why? Let's get some action around here

2. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Due to already beating the single player campians in both OC and SOU, and due to the fact that as of yet I have not heard from alfa, even though I applied 2 months ago, I have stopped playing NWN. Though I am waiting for HOU to come out.

3. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well I still play modules a lot but it says that this forum is for the official game and bioware modules and expansions so I don't write much here. I wouldn't mind finding some friends to join in an online game if anyone is interested though :bigeyes:

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm playing on ALFA...But I don't get there as often as I used to. Check this out:

www.alandfaraway.net

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I'm going to start playing once I get my new computer :)

6. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, I beat the official campaigns at least once and I must admit that I really can't play this game again. I tried it really many times, but I just can't finish the first chapter. That's the same for me with Diablo 2, I just can't do the first chapter, it's terrible ! Well, and I can't just start with the second chapter, because that would be somehow strange, I would have to cheat my character to the right level and also I would have to give him the right equipment, and the second chapter isn't that good, too.

7. Day to Night Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I still play it, although it is my first time and I think that it is a v. good game. Is there a better one that you all are playing at the moment?

8. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I played SP but only till middle second chapter. Then i gave up on it.

But... ALFA :love: :love:
    Its the only reason i have NwN still on my computer. It's great!

@fade
    you might want to PM some DM there if you're registered.
    If not just apply again :)
    Couse two months is a bit too much :(

9. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I don't care what others say, NWN is a great game in its own right, merely overshadowed by the supreme BG series.

I'll start playing again as soon as I get my computer fixed.

But the OC chapter 1 is truly, truly a pain.

10. Hacken Slash

@Faragon: make sure you get a good video card...it makes all the difference in the world.

Chapter 1 of the OC can definitely be a pain to get through...I've heard it called the "Fed-ex quests"...pick up and deliver, pick up and deliver...it's a shame that such a good RPG engine and interface can't seem to be paired with a story equal to the BG series. I am looking forward to HOU, however...Epic levels and hope for an engaging plot. What characters do you plan to take Epic?

11. fade Gems: 13/31

Sorcerer, for the dragon disiple. :evil:

12. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

I never finished the NWN OC; just got bored of it. I don't have any plans to play the OC for SoU either. Since joining ALFA I have no inclination to play the single player game anymore :)

Given my choice between any of the BG series and playing on ALFA...hands down, it's still ALFA. Everytime I log in it's something new and different, and always exciting. As an example, the other night I logged in with a (relatively) brand new character: a level 1 gnome cleric. I spent an hour RPing with a deep gnome (svirfneblin) PC who spoke no common and had next to no knowledge of the 'surface world'. My PC had to help him buy some clothing - poor little guy looked mighty cold, even next to the camp fire. Eventually, I talked him into making a foray into a nearby crypt - very nearly was our last, but we made it out alive.

Soon after he logged off, my gnome ran into an acquaintance from another day. We chatted a while, learned a few things about each other, then a guard walked passed, acting very strangely. Intrigued, and a little worried, we followed him into the tavern, and a whole new adventure was begun. Spies, thieves, unknown magic, and secret plans stolen through mysterious means; for the next couple of hours we worked with two other PCs across two towns to try and get to the bottom of the mystery. By the end of the session (the DM had to log off) we realized that we were on to something much larger. And it all began with one drunken guard and our own curiousity.

We had no idea when we logged on what was going to happen; although I have my suspicions, I don't know quite where the adventure will lead. There is no walkthrough, no save games, no pause. How I roleplay my character will have a major impact on the outcome: what my character does, how he interacts with NPCs and PCs alike, everything, will affect the final outcome. And no one knows, not even the DM, how it will play out. Can't beat that ;)

Fade: If after 2 months you're still waiting to hear on your ALFA application, send an e-mail or PM to a member of the Administration at ALFA (Albereth, Sareena, Trismuss, or Tasarian) and let them know your situation. Whether you are accepted or not, you should always get a reply. In this case, it sounds like the reply got lost somewhere in cyberspace. Either way, one of the Admin will be able to help you out. The worst case scenario is that you'll need to re-apply.

13. Hacken Slash

ALFA sounds great, but the reason that I like a good single player game are for exactly the reasons you like multiplayer...time. When I play it is sometimes for as little as 15 minutes at a time, rarely more than an hour, MP wouldn't work for me. I need something that I can pause, save and resume a week later if I need. Hard to roleplay to that kind of degree when you always pop in and out.
    Right now I am trying to figure out what combination of Epic levels and prestige character to combine with a Monk for HoU

14. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Yes, true for ALFA you need to take time to RP quests and everything. And it takes much time. Also if you dont live in USA you often have problem with DM's not being on becouse they sleep :p
    But there are plenty of european DM's too so you can manage.

But choosing between taking time for a good long session and loading a game already-ten-times-played i choose alfa anytime!
    No doubt its worth the time!

15. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well I don't play the single player games or mods. Even if I had found the actual out of the box OC to be worthwhile (I didn't), I still couldn't get into the whole single player gameplay system. I can't say I enjoy the way NWN works for a single player game.

That said, yes I still play NWN quite a bit when I have the time. I also build, which to be honest takes up most of my NWN time. Sorcerer's seems to be the big alfa click, but I'm happy to be building the second continent for the world of Soul Forge. Right now the entire first continent is being redone as well, with massive changes to the world. So hopefully if any of you guys have lost interest in single player games, you can come and check us out. We're open to all, and everyone will be starting at low level again in the next few weeks (2-3). Now that I've got my shameless plug in, I'd like to re state NWN can stay fun for a long time. You just have to get away from the game that came in the box ;)

16. Hacken Slash

@crawl: What's your server? How do we join up? Post a link if you have one up.

17. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I hate to lead new people to Soul Forge right now as it's in a holding pattern at the moment until the wipe happens (this is the first and likely only wipe ever for soulforge...the world has been up and running since june of 2002). However, for any brave soul that wishes to venture into the world with it's current lack of activity, you can create a character and still retain him after the wipe occurs. Each player will get to keep one remnant character that will be reintroduced into the world at a later date.

The wipe is coninciding with many changes for Soul Forge. Right now, all of the outdoor areas are being rebuilt to give the whole world a face lift. Also, we will be converting to a fully functional and persistant tradeskill system (CNR). Also, we are implimenting a persistant quest system as well as introducing one time quests for nice rewards/xp. We've also come up with a custom ILR script that's based on character levels and not the default toolset values. What this means is that, for example, to weild certian weapons, you may have to have x amount of warrior class levels, or even be a pure class warrior. This will conincide with UMD changes as well. We will be moving toward racially divided towns to add more flavor to the realms.

As you can see, there will be lots of changes happening over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully a finished Soul Forge product combinded with a fresh start for all charcters together and an experienced staff will bring us lots of new players.

As for how to find us, you can check out our website at http://www.soul-forge.net We are an open server, which means as long as people follow the rules, anyone can play. So no worries about applications and admissions. We had been averaging around 30 players are so most times, so once everything settles down, there should be no problem finding players to adventure with. We cater to most playing styles, so if anyone is interested, come and check us out in the next couple of weeks. I hope to make an announcement once the new Soul Forge is up and running.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.