1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Crashes

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Lord Moeken, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I'm sure this has been mentioned several times before, but I thought I'd bring it up again.

I like this game, but I'm having some serious lock-up/ crash problems. I can play without a hitch for about 20-30 minutes and then suddenly everything slows down and becomes very choppy. The game then locks up and all I can do is reboot - very frustrating. Here is some of my system info:

Windoze 98 SE
    AMD 1.3 Ghz
    Radeon 7200 64 MB ddr with latest drivers.
    256 MB memory
    Soundblaster Live

I've tried a few things such as reducing my AGP aperature setting but with no success. Because the 20 minute time limit is so consistant I thought I might be having a temperature problem, but my system seems to be running cool. Motherboard Monitor says my CPU temps are around 48 C - should be good.

I've heard that ATI cards are not the greatest for this game, but I'd think that I would have problems right out of the gate, not after 20 minutes of playing.

If anyone else has this problem, or has found a fix I would like to hear about it.

[ August 30, 2002, 21:38: Message edited by: Lord Moeken ]

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Is it possible that you haven't installed the patches yet? Sounds like the memory leak bugs to me.

3. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I was having a similar problem, and I also have an ATI Radeon (although it was crashing much more frequently for me).

I solved this by downloading this and using it to underclock the card by a little bit.

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Um, IIRC ATI Radeon cards don't support some resolutions. One of these is 1280x960. So if Wildfire's suggestion doesn't work, you could try with switching to another resolution.
    But there is another thing with these cards and it is called anisotropic filtering (in OpenGL driver properties). This could also be a source of the crashing, so just disable it.

5. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

Tal - I do have version 1.23 which I believe is the latest patch.

Wildfire - I'll try underclocking (even though it crushes my soul to do so ;) I'm a speed freak ya know) Right now I have my core and memory speed set to 198 mHz which is actually quite conservative for my card. I've ran benchmarks running at 216 before it becomes unstable.

Extremist - I'm running 1024 * 768. Do you mean anti-aliasing in the open GL properties because I have nothing called anisotropic filtering. Nevertheless I will disable it and try again.

Edit - I found the anisotropic filter toggle (it was disabled)

[ August 31, 2002, 04:32: Message edited by: Lord Moeken ]

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If it still doesn't work, try with installing older ATI driver (try with any that has no sign "catalyst").

[ August 31, 2002, 10:54: Message edited by: Extremist ]

7. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

Tal - You may be on to something with the 'memory leak bug' As I play I've been monitoring my system resources and they continually decrease unitl a crash happens. Hmmm, has there been any work around or fix found? I checked out Bioware's self help section and it sounds like this is not an infrequent problem, but no real solutions yet.

In the mean time I will continue playing and save my game every 30 minutes (and continue to look for a solution)

Edit: I changed the driver for my ATI Radeon card which was originally Catalyst 2.1 Driver Build 4.13.01.9039
    to Catalyst 2.2 Driver Build 4.13.01.9050

I run Win98se and the 2.2 drivers are designed for WinME but they also work for Win98. I haven't crashed since changing to the 2.2 drivers.

[ September 05, 2002, 19:35: Message edited by: Lord Moeken ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.