1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I need advice about multi-classing my Wizard.

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Parvini, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Parvini Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Here's the scenario - I'm in Blacklake (going after 3rd creature) and thus far it's been a breeze. I've got the monk (Grimgraw?) with me, my panther and Monster Summons 3. I feel over-powered and also am having trouble with locks and traps (4 skill points in each). Now should I sacrifice a level for rogue skills? How much would it actually help me? Or would it be better to get a rogue in to help me out? I mean how many lock pick points does one need? I tried taking Tomi but he's rubbish can't do half the stuff. I've been casting spells on the chests to smash them.

PS. Why can't I cast knock??? It's always faded out. I'm a Necromancer but that's not a divination spell.

2. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Get the Pixie Familiar the next time you level up.
    Solves all your rogue needs.

3. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well, from a powerplaying perspective taking a rogue level is a waste of XP. After all you only need it for unlocking stuff. Backstabb is pretty much useless, since you hit very rarely. Hide would be quite useful i admit... but it isnt your first rogue level and that means you can only maximize a very limited amount of skills. Character level +3 is the maximum rank. Your high intelligence should help you with this (being a necromancer).

Roleplaying... go for it :D

4. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think you should cast knock on yourself, not sure though. In any case it opens several locks at the same time (it's not the same as in BG IIRC)
    BTW, if you can't open it, just blast it open with damage spells. Cast them on the container/door you can't open and if you do enough damage to it will "die" and in the case of a non-empty container leave some remains with the contents of the container.

5. Xindell Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@Meatdog: That's exactly what he says he's been doing. Quote: "I've been casting spells on the chests to smash them." ;)

@Parvini: I wouldn't multiclass unless you begin to feel it's absolutely necessary. I played through with a Mage myself and I found that very few traps and chests were undoable. Changing your familiar to a Pixie isn't a bad idea, just be aware that she won't do you much good in combat. But she should be able to handle any and all traps and locks you need her to handle. If you want to keep your panther (which I did when I played a mage), just understand that, every once in a while, you'll need to just accept that setting off certain traps is a necessity. And you can always smash containers when need be. I used to use my panther to set off any traps I couldn't get rid of any other way. If it doesn't kill her, just feed her and she's good as new. If it does, no biggie, you can resummon her.

6. the bum Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Pick the pixie if you want to disarm them, pick the panther if you want them disarmed, and I always found it much more fun and entertaining to fireball as many chests as I could at once. Quicker, easier, and discrtuctive at the same time, yeah! anyways, I would definately NOT waste your time with rogue lvls. Powerhungry mages should not be concerned with such trival matters as traps. As for Knock, yeah, you have to cast it on yourself. Then it will unlock all doors/chests/lockables within 150 feet of your character. (unless they are plot lockables and need a key or lever to open). hope that helps.

7. Parvini Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Thanks all.

But how can the Panther set traps off if she can't open chests?

I think I'm just going to blast them all anyway. And hopefully knock will start working too.

8. the bum Gems: 3/31

I think we were all refering to having the panther walk over traps in the floor. Trapped chests are just begging for a fireball, or icestorm. It has to be either an area-effect spell or magic missle.

9. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

And if you really want to set it off without wasting spells (for example it is not locked, only trapped) take control of your panter and attack the door/chest. This should set the trap off. Don't know if it works for all such traps but I've already tried this with success on alot of them.

:o Hope I didn't just repeat some useless information this time. :p

10. Xindell Gems: 6/31

@Meatdog: Excellent point. Now that you mention it, I think I did that a few times myself when I played through as a mage. No repeating this time! :)

11. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I have a dwarf wizard level 6 in the original campaign. I am wondering whether or not I should bother with a single level of fighter so that I can use weapons and armour (for fun) or would powergamers and NWN experts (those who have completed Hordes) recommend that I simply remain a single classed dwarf wizard?

12. Xindell Gems: 6/31

Well, my personal opinion would be that it's a waste of time taking levels in fighter. Allowing yourself to use armor isn't really worth the risk of spells fizzling when they are most needed. And as for getting access to more weapons, well, your primarily a Mage. What kind of weapons would you be using, really? Are you going to get an Axe and rush to melee? Great way to die a quick death. Being a Wizard allows you to use a Crossbow, and that's your safest bet. Stick with a pure Wizard.

13. Gothmog

Eh, what the hell!

It may be a more powerful choice to take a pure wizard and often roleplaying too, but your playing the game for fun!

And aint it just cool to have a dwarven wizard trip over his twohanded sword and impale himself :D

14. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Your right, I think I will stay vanilla wizard and actually make a separate chatacter that is a dwarf fighter for dual-wielding waraxes...

I've decided that through the playing of the character it is a waste to have the weapons since spells often do better.

15. the bum Gems: 3/31

I am still all for power hungry wizards, and that's mostly all I play, but I still love to run around with an upgraded Sythe that I also cast enchant weapon and flame weapon on. Then cast Premonition and Greater barkskin, maybe a Bull Strength if i'm feelin' I need the extra boost, then rush head long into the enemy, laughing hysterically all the way. and yes, i wear the lich skull helm! Custom did my robe to be black with gold trim. and I made the horns gold too!

http://jconner1980.homestead.com/files/yen-yang.jpg
    This is me and friend of mine fighting in a world I created.

[ February 01, 2004, 02:46: Message edited by: the bum ]

16. Gothmog

Hahey!
    Isnt that much more fun than only be able to cast spells?!
    IMO very much :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.