1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

HotU Merchants 10.000 GP cap removal

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Keyper of the 7, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Keyper of the 7 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Pretty much what the title says. Is there a way to remove the 10.000 GP cap merchants have at HotU for buying stuff from you? I just sold a mace to a merchant who gave me 10.000 GP and when I saw it again at the merchant's screen it was worth about 1.300.000 GP !!!!!!! That is more than all the money I currently have! I can easily imagine why they inserted that cap but it just killed all the point at selling stuff. You search for powerful and thus expensive stuff to sell so that you can then have a lot of money to use them at something else like BUYING OTHER EQUALLY EXPENSIVE STUFF!!! I can't really make all the enchancements I want at my weapons (at Chapter 2) that cost from 30.000 to 170.000 GP by geting 10.000 for each powerful item I sell. And EVERY merchant I tried had that very same bloddy cap! :mad:

So, the short version of this would be... HELP!!!

2. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Sorry, no real help here, but I think I managed to sell my stuff for 15000 GP each to Gru'ul in chapter 3.

3. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Only way I know of would be to edit the merchants in the toolset and save your changes. But if you're going to go to that extreme, why not just use the in game tools to throw a bunch of gold on the ground for your character to "find"?

4. Emmanuel Julius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Is the genie merchant also affected as well? (I remember pretty much selling everything I found to him but I don't remember hitting any cap)

5. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31

Yes, he's affected. I remember having the same cap of 15000 gp in chapter 3. Before, it was 10000 gp in chapter 2. However, I realized that his attitude towards my character changed from "unfriendly" to "friendly" in the last chapter. Don't know if this was responsible for the increasing cap, though.

6. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I dont like this trick either. Sure it may disrupt the game balance by making cash even more abundant as it already is, but if they dont want that, they could make a bigger sell/buy ratio and upping the enchantment of weapons prices, instead of resorting to such cheap tricks.
    And cheap it is.

7. Keyper of the 7 Gems: 2/31

Ok guys, Here's all I know. The Djini at chapter 2 has a 10.000 GP cap like all other merchants. At Chapter 3 apparently (although I never bothered myself) has a 15.000 GP cap. Gru'ul has a 50.000 GP cap which is a lot better but still not enough. I have a char with about 34 INT so all appraise checks are always favorable so, no, this has nothing to do with the cap. Now, here's how I "solved" the problem, it's cheap but the whole cap idea was cheaper so I'm ok with it:
    I get everything I want to sell, I export my character and then I start a new OC campaign with my character. Then I go to that very first merchant, the dwarf at the academy. He has no cap so I simply sell everything I want to him, se how much money I get and after writing that down I reload my HotU save, sell everything to a merchant (any merchant) and then I dm_givegold X where X is the money I should get minus the money I did get. End of story and by the time I finished HotU I had bought EVERY single name I could and I still had about 15.000.000 GP when I only started HotU with 2.000.000 GP which is about the amount of money I used for all the names I bought! (Btw, I NEVER bought any equipment since what I found in the game was much better than those at the merchants, I did however enhanced my Enserric longsword and Aramil's Blade as much as I could, I think it cost me about a milllion, a million half.)
    As I said a cheap trick but definitely NOT cheaper that putting a cap in the first place.

Cheers!

8. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31

I think Gru'ul's cap rises from 15000 to 50000 only after you return from the Keeper of Names. Pretty useless, because by then the games is almost done as there is just one battle left to fight.

9. Keyper of the 7 Gems: 2/31

No, his cap is 50.000 GP from the begining. At least it was right after I fixed No. 5 so I'd call that the begining don't you think?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.