1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Interesting, fun builds ;)

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by chevalier, May 16, 2006.

1. underthewronghat Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I still think my Ranger1/RogueX was my favorite build because I could pick any henchman (no need for a rogue), I could use any magic item in the game including scrolls with the use magic device skill (no need for spellcasters), I like the rogue's high level bonus feats, and I get the widest array of skills to try out. I felt like I got to play the *whole* game in one go. As a power-build, again, probably not the best (plenty of enemies immune to critical hits / sneak attacks), if anything, it seems a more opportunistic build...

I tried a few spellcasters, and archers, but without a turn-based system or a party to keep enemies at a distance, it seems like the interface doesn't lend itself to ranged attackers. Toe to toe seems to play better --for single player NWN, anyway, I haven't tried multi-player...

2. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I loved my Fighter x/ Weaponsmaster 7. Wielding Tebimars scythe from the underdark, his critical hits were averaging 350 which hammered anything and everything. Only problem was that I couldnt actually finish the game cause there was something wrong with the ai of mephistopheles that didnt allow him to be taken down in 1 or 2 hits. his status was dead but he did not fall down and the credits didnt start rolling. Still was a fun build though.

3. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Somehow, this seems wrong. Very wrong.

:D

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    That must have been great. :D I've been plotting a black-robed character with a scythe for some time, too. :shake: Hope I can get the long, dressy robe for it. :D

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Chev: Go evil in Chapter 2 of HoTU...that Drow Robe you get from the Valsharess has some great stat bonuses and it fits the look pretty well I thought. If your character can find a hood...or has the avatar with the mask and the hood...you got a neat reaper look right there...

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My Bard 4 / Fighter 4 / Red Dragon Disciple was pretty tough, although a wee bit powergamey. I added the extra Bard levels because the character was supposed to be a Bardy type and because it helped steer away from the "one level of Bard / Sorcerer" cheesey RDD build.

7. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Rogue / Monk (and eventually Assassin).

I started with a Rogue in SoU with the idea of carrying him over to HotU, and start adding Assassin levels. I wanted to make a sneaky ninja-type character, but he's becoming a mean melee killing machine.

I made him a monk after selling my only Dagger +1 by mistake, then realising I hadn't enough money to buy it back. My character had just gained a level... so I decided to go weaponless (Monk) for fun, rather than reloading. I'm not regretting it one bit, no.

I'm quite looking forward to see what he can do with Darkness and 3-4 sneak attacks per round (plus Cleave and Circle Kick) in HotU. :evil:

8. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Funniest build I've had so far is a Druid/ Monk/ Shifter. Only added a few monk level for the discipline and the fact that most of the shifter's forms will benefit from the unarmed bonusses and the bonus to armor class from my wisdom. Kind of powergamy perhaps, but it works for me. But the real fun is from the infinite amount of times you can shift. I'm just shifting back and forth all the time, trying to find the best form for each situation. Sure he's not nearly as good at disposing vermin as the fighter type characters I've played, but Wildshape is just so much fun.

It's just too bad that I can't get the Dragon Shape in HotU, and I probably won't reach a high enough level for the Construct Shape before the end of HotU either.

Eventually I plan on getting Druid all the way up to level 20 too, so I get the Elder Elemental Wildshape (more shapes! Yay!). Should be a lot of fun to play.

Btw, is there an Epic Wildshape IV too, like there is for the other Shifter Wildshapes? Otherwise I don't see too much reason for going beyond 17 for a shifter.

9. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I love playing armor-wearing mages. Full Metal Mages I call them. :)

One Paladin/the rest Sorcerer is a good choice. Of course you take Still Spell.

Another weird build I did once was Monk/Pale Master/Wizard. A little gnome who took all three armor feats and shield proficiency. He ended up with insane AC.

Another fun build: Monk/Assassin/Blackguard. A big brute of a Half-Orc with huge strength and not much dexterity. The key is sneaking up on foes and killing them in a single round.

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I just finished playing a Rogue 13/Wizard 7/Arcane Archer 15...took him through HotU first and then another couple of epic level modules...what can I say? He was an absolute BLAST!!

I had lvl 4 arcane spells so haste, improved invisibility, darkness, ultravision, true strike, knock and find traps were all available which made life a lot easier. 7d6 sneak attacks are great to put the hurt on your enemies and the AA levels ensure a stratospheric AB and a guaranteed +8 damage on all your arrows, not to mention other fun abilities like Seeker Arrow, Hail of Arrows and what not.

The BEST moment of this build was when I was taking on all those critters during the end of HotU Chapter 2 at the drown encampment...Darkness+Ultravision and then Hail of Arrows on some 20 critters...all of who went down to Sneak Attack!! Fun!!! :D

Edit: Forgot to add - I had EPIC DODGE!!!

[ July 25, 2006, 19:11: Message edited by: Faraaz ]

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Arcane Archers are cool.

12. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

My Rogue/Monk is doing great in HotU so far. I decided to go up to level 13 in rogue, with only 3 levels of Monk. My favourite technique against the Drow and Duergar has been:

1. I scout ahead and discover the enemies. Point out the spellcasters.
    2. Tell Daelan and Deekin to stay back till I call them.
    3. Sneak into the camp, until I'm close enough to the targets.
    4. Call in the cavalry. When the Drow start attacking them, I strike.

Four (4) standard unarmed attacks per round, plus Cleave and Circle Kick. Plus 7d6 sneak attack per hit if they don't target me. Plus an Attack of Opportunity if they start casting or drinking potions. And I'm permanently hasted due to my Monk Robe. Any spellcasters are normally down before the second round starts. Then it's time to take out the shurikens, activate Rapid Shot and give Daelan a hand.

I try not to powergame, but this guy is a rabid killing beast. If I can keep him safe from mental spells (potions of Clarity, how much I love thee), he's nigh unstoppable.

I think I'll be adding assassin levels from now on.

[ August 02, 2006, 01:30: Message edited by: Colthrun ]

13. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

for some reason, I read "rabitt killing beast" above :) Made me think about Bugs Bunny and co.

Anyhow, aren't monks lawful, and rogues anything but? Oh well, I guess you could change your alignment.

14. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Rogues can be lawful. They can be lawful good and get a Paladin level as well...

15. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

okay, go monk/bard/arcane archer

starting dex 18 starting wisdom 18

forget about dex, go max wisdom, and get the Zen archery feat

for skills max discipline, tumble, spot

Start out 6 monk/2 bard for the AB requirement of AA

Get 10 more AA levels til you can't level anymore, take another 2 levels of monk and Dump Tumble.

Keep maxing wisdom and taking AA levels.

at level 40 take one more level of monk, making that 9 monk and you'll get the uber bonuses a level 9 monk has, as well as having 29 levels in arcane archer.

Ending stats

AB 75 ish
    AC 75+

Spot skill = 100ish

Crit damage = 90 or so

average damage = a good 30-40.... from across teh screen

16. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I've done a lot of dedicated arcane archer tinkering. This is a more adaptable version. More all around - skills, faster movement, slightly more AC and the monkish feel.
    The other is fighter way. More damage, AB, AC dependant on dex (flat-footed fried archers) but less "all-around" type.

All in all i think archers are incredibly useful and also underrated. I just wish there were more active combat feets for them than Called Shots (Sap maybe, that never made it in the final version). Kinda boring if fighting is all you do. Unlike other characters, they can afford a blunder here and there with stats since their AB is so spectacular.

17. ObviousDelirium Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

That build wouldn't work JiggaJay, monks are lawful and bards can't be lawful.

18. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Yes, the build works, just disable alignment requirements or change your alignment.

I am a hardcore Bastions of WAr server fanatic, and that ARcane Archer build is PHEARED.

19. DanSkibo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I just started a Druid/Shifter/Monk

Fun :)

20. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

JJ: why the two bard levels in your AA build?

Also, I wonder how effective is this build against a pure wizard. Arrows don't seem to do much damage per hit, IMO.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.