1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Interesting, fun builds ;)

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by chevalier, May 16, 2006.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Righty, inspired by the powerhouse builds thread, I thought we could also talk about the builds you've enjoyed playing the most. This is by no means the oddest character contest and it doesn't have to be handicapped to avoid accusations of powergaming, so if you want to post a straight epic Joe Fighter, by all means go ahead. Do share some playing experience, as well, please. ;)

Myself, I really enjoyed my paladin starting with STR 14, DEX 10, CON 10, INT 14, WIS 14, CHA 15. He had some nice skills with the additional 2 points, as well as perhaps some dialogue benefits. Wisdom 14 also gave him some insight dialogue options and all the spells a paladin could have. I went the Charisma route and made extensive use of the Divine Might feat, then also Shield, enjoyed the saves (not like I always saved against everything, still), on higher levels I was able to keep a decent number of my favourite buffs for combat along the way and a nice number of different buffs to combine for the more difficult battles, got nice reaction from people, too. Took Extra Turning for more uses of divine feats, Extra Smiting to make it three smites, some reputation feats, Improved Criticals for longsword. I played a very similar character in the OC and the expansions and the OC one used Knockdown a lot while the other didn't at all. Knocking down was very useful, but didn't always feel well. As in good for trolls etc, not really for female spellcasters and such.

Currently, I'm sort of considering a paladin/sorcerer or paladin/wizard with a two-headed mace, or maybe even a paladin/weaponmaster/wizard (sorcerer perhaps). Also wanted a paladin/ranger one day. People do play paladin/rogues, but it would have to be planned out really well, I think.

2. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

The character I have played the most in Neverwinter Nights is my Fighter/Rogue/Blackguard that I took through SOU and HOTU. I don't normally play evil characters but I had a great time taking him through the two expansions. His few rogue levels gave him an extra bit of sneak attack and extra skill points for conversation skills to reflect a level of street savvy and skill in coercion (as well as slightly quicker access to Blackguard levels). His buffs and summons added flavour which is much needed in a melee build. I had a great time during the battle in the Underdark leaving the troops to die while plunging into the throng of attacking drow, slaughtering as I went.

He is now at the start of a module (The Gods Themselves, I think) where he has to fight Mystra. Its tough and I havent played it for some time, but I shall likely pick up where the great and evil Fergus left off at some point. :D

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I loved my Rogue 3 / Wizard 10 / Arcane Archer 6 (I think that's right....) Anyway, it wasn't overpowered, but it could handle all locks and traps, cast some useful buffs and summons, and had cool archery powers. Haste combined with running and shooting was an oft-used tactic.

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I fell in love with my Cleric X/Fighter 4...

That was the first character I ever played as a divine caster in ANY game...(yes I know, I'm ashamed I played a cleric in NWN before BG2...) but ANYWAY!!

Yeah...this was way back before SoU even came out. It was great fun running around with a Greatsword!!

Apart from that however, recently I played a Monk/Cleric/Shadowdancer build...and I was roleplaying a Cleric of Mask annihilating the filth of the Underdark...from the dark! (yes, I know, lame...) but it was great fun!

Oh and there was the Wizard/Rogue/Arcane Trickster I played from lvl 1 to lvl 35...that was a real labour of love!

AND I forgot about this other build...

*sigh*

5. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Druid X, Fighter 1, Monk1; used it in the SoU campaign. For purposes of roleplaying, took the monk level in the Ao encampment :) . Also, wielding a scythe, which I think is a good weapon for a druid (although you need a special feat just for that). It was quite fun to play.

6. Late Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Media:
    I used Bard/Shadowdancer/Arcane Archer on this one multiplayer game. Now he was pure powergaming. With the right equipment, he did some serious butt-kicking (for justice). Until I got the equipment I just had to tag along with others though, which made it kinda difficult to gain any respect later. -.-

7. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

A melee sorcerer/dragon disciple in SoU. It actually works, if you only take buffing and protection spells. Made it through the module, went into HtoU, but had to re-install and lost the character. :(

8. annelid Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I love playing the Psion class. There nothing like decerebrating your foes :)

9. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I'm playing a Fighter(10)/Weapon Master (1) now.

I love scenes of swordplay in films. Equipped with a greatsword and using "Expertise" most of the times, I am having great fun seeing him dodging and blocking incoming attacks with ease. "Great Cleave" also makes the fights against weak foes a visual treat, especially when they simply keep coming as he kills them.

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Fabius Maximus: Your AB is going to suck...and you only get 2 attacks...HOW do you kill anything apart from Ice Strom/Bigby's/IGMS?

11. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Bah, in the single player campaigns, you can do well enough in melee with a pure wizard (buffed, of course). The problem is not so much hitting your foes (they don't have that good AC, and you can use a two handed weapon for damage), but making sure they don't hit you. Which is not too hard, with Cat's grace, stoneskins, Improv. invisibility, and so on.

And of course, the RDD class gives you some nice bonuses in STR and CON (I think) so that makes it even easier.

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

True...but you will suck in any module APART from the OC...

If Fabius is going to play other modules after he finishes SoU, he's going to have a bit of a hard time I guess...its why I asked.

If its an OC only character...who cares??? A blind Orc Wizard with 18 CHA could finish the game on Difficult...

13. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Spells like Heroism, Greater Heroism, Bull's Strength or Create Magic Tattoo boost your AB. Haste gives you more attacks per round.

And if it does not woork, you can still use wands or scrolls.

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Fabius: Yeah...but all of that is PRC stuff mate...and if you have the PRC, why would you multiclass to RDD when you've got the Eldritch Knight??

15. annelid Gems: 1/31

Roleplaying maybe?

16. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Exactly. Remember, this thread is not about powerhouse builds.

And the strenght boost for the DD is quite nice, too.

17. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Anyhow, powerhouse builds are overrated :) I have yet to see any module which you cannot complete with a reasonable character, and some ingenuity, which makes things more fun.

(well, unless you count multiplayer; in that case, if you compete against munchkins, I guess you have to be one too)

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    As an off topic comment, I sort of like balance. It sucks to be surrounded by munchkins, but it also sucks to be expected to speak some 18th century English by people who think it's realistic in a quasi-mediaeval setting. :lol:

19. annelid Gems: 1/31

hehe. I know what you mean.

20. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Khaavern: S1 - Tomb of Horrors by Ghool...solo with a HoTU character (lvl 26-27)

I'd like to see a single classed bard or something similar play that module...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.