1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Erran's Topic of the week - 1

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Erran, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] OK, pretty unanimous about assasins, good.

Here's one that came out of a discusion with Diedra. Say we've just found some treasure with a magic sword. Two of our fighters want to claim it, both have equally valid claims. How do we decide who gets it? In PnP we would probably roll dice but how to do that when we are on different continents? Any bright ideas?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Single combat to the death!

Well, maybe just until one of them yields... or first blood.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited March 13, 2001).]

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The sword goes to the one that needs it the most, or doesn't have one yet.
    Someone makes a note of who got it this time, so that next time the other person gets it in the similar situation.
    That should avoid any confusion and disputes over it.

But still, someone official from the guild could roll the dice for them instead. There are also some dice roller programs on the Internet, and I could install a script on Elm to run it in the FAI. Plenty options I think...

4. Slappy Gems: 19/31

As I understand it, there will be a DM in NWN, couldn't we just ask them to roll a dice, or toss a coin for any 50:50 type decisions.

No need to overcomplicate anything.

5. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Lol Blackthorne, that idea's pretty Abominable. I am trying to promote harmony in the group, not blood feuds! hehe.

Of course it would go to the one who needs it most but I did say both had equally valid claims. I could decide, but I don't want to be accused of favouritism. I know from my PnP experience that this kind of thing can lead to resentments.
    I like Tal's idea of an online dice roller.
    If we could have that goes on an AORTA page so everyone can see the result that would be great. One of us could go online at sorcerers.net and we could all see the outcome so everything would be in the open.
    Another thing the members need is a noticeboard, a bit like this but only open to AORTA members and the DMs.
    There we could place IC notes about when and where to meet, DMs could place quest leads and if anyone goes solo questing they could leave a note saying "gone to the barrow field, if I'm not back by the 15th please send a search party"
    Only moderators could take notices down. Can do?

6. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Tal, a die roller, but no calculator?? ;)

Erran, I would trust you to roll your very own dice and be fair in the distribution.

7. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Wow, thanks for that Darian; even if I was in line for the sword? "Oh my, I've rolled a 20 - again!"

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Erran, sure, a private forum and notice board for all AORTA members will be set up. I'm only delaying it because there's not that much going on yet, but once we reach a point a bit closer to release of at least the beta, I'll have it up in a matter of minutes.

9. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Tal, thanks for the board offer. I think it will be a great idea. As far as the dice roller, if there is no other way to handle the situation I'd go along with a dice roll.

In my PnP game if two PCs are fighting over an item, one could offer the other something else to equal their share of the loot. But if no break down or pay off is possible then the dice is fine.

10. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

11. damnedifiknow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] May be a little too complicated Tal, but what if you created a page where each character chooses a picture of paper, scissors or rock and they play the best of three. I would think with a little php3 action it could be done. Same as rolling a number but a little more interesting. Or heck in the game itself a third character could count to three and on three both characters say paper, scissors or rock. That way it gets done in the game and there are witnesses. Or maybe i've had too much coffee...naaah.

12. Darkmoon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I have always been partial to the totally random dice roll, no room for partiality and no one has cause to complain. The biggest cause of problems in online game guilds has been infighting over the "phat lewtz" and I would really love to be a part of something where that does not happen.

13. FootSoap Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm very partial to the PC's working it out, after all we are reasonably trustworthy. Save the dice for last resort.

14. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Here, Here. I agree. I think we can sort things out, but as the question said, if that fails, I'm for the dice.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.