1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Finished the OC

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by The Great Snook, Oct 9, 2004.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, I just finished the OC and I have to admit, I'm not quite sure why so many people despised it. I actually enjoyed it. I played with a melee character and Sharwyn. I'm convinced there was a problem with her as she never seemed to use her bard song. I just patched to 1.64 and it didn't seem to change anything.

Now it is time to move on to SOU. I'm thinking about a sorceror this time.

2. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I really liked the OC...until I started playing HotU. The OC has the content and the lovely Aribeth, but it just doesn't have the pacing, so it can feel like a slog -- especially when your character hits L15 or 16 and is only scraping 26 XP from each target. The plot was fine, the characters were fun, the world was great, and some subquests were very creative -- like the courtroom battle or the secret gameshow gauntlet. But there was too much idle hack-and-slash between the good parts.

I have a savegame in the final section of the OC, but just can't bring myself to finish it, whereas I'm already on my second time through the HotU. I went through IWD2 several times despite its length, but I can't imagine playing the OC a second time through. Not even for Sharwyn!

3. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I thought the OC was terrible.

The part where you have to slog through the six levels of Troll Caves/Creator Ruins had me nearly pulling my hair out due to extreme boredom. And the last part with the lizard men was just awful.

Aribeth said the words "Waterdhavian creatures" WAY too often too.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The OC was shallow, repetative (oh, so repetative!), boring and devoid of detail. By the time it got at least remotely interesting, it was practically over already.

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm guessing the reason I didn't feel that way is that it took me almost four months to complete it. Maybe if I had been playing it more often I would have felt that way.

6. Laertis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've also ended the game a few days ago. The OC is really boring sometimes. And the same pattern on all chapters is really annoying - you start in the middle section and have to get some item/info from the 4 surrounding areas - very lame indeed.
    However i consider the story good, but this repetative gameplay probably made most players lost interest in the story or in the game altogether.

7. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

It's not as bad as people make it out to be, and the story is pretty good.

You definately need to have played it to fully understand the events of HOTU, too.

8. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Probably the worst game I have ever installed on my hard disk.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well done on completing the OC. You've managed something that many people on these Boards have not been able to do. One day I plan to try again (I never got past Chapter One), or maybe I will just skip it and start again with Shadows of Unrentide.

I think you have to have melee-heavy characters that can carve through all the meaningless minor battles quickly in order to stay sane. If you were a spellcaster who had to recharge their spells every 5 minutes you'd go nuts.

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    You may be right. I was playing a kukri master (and he kicked heinie). Now I'm thinking about a pure sorceress for the expansions. I take it the expansions aren't as combat heavy and I won't have to constantly "recharge".

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actually, I played a generalist mage in the OC and the resting didn't really bother me...

12. Rednik Gems: 21/31

I played as a Paladin, a Ranger and a Fighter, and the game was almost exactly the same each time. The game was repetitive to the point of being extremely annoying, and the combat was largly forgettable. SoU was slightly better, although the story was boring as hell, with the only interesting part being the interlude, oddly enough.

13. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I just read the topic title and the first thing that flew into my mind was "sucker!!" :D

14. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Well Finally !!!
    I also just finished the OC, It took me little over a year to complete!
    But I wanted to finish it before I started in earnest on the expansions.

(I have to say one thing though, there was definitely a reason it took so long to finish, it just didnt grab me the bay BG2 did, part of it really felt like a chore)

A question concerning HoU. how do I do to continue with my character from OC?
    I cant find any final save so to speak (as in BG1 to BG2)

I´d really like to now.

Long time since Ive been here.

Keep on bouncing
    C

15. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, there isn't a final save, but there should be in your vault a higher leveled version of your oc character. Just start HotU with that high level version, and it is done. Although I advice against importing an oc character, as he will be too high level to enjoy the battles in the first part.

16. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Congratulations TGS, I never completed it, but perhaps I'll have another slog. As stated earlier, the main reason people so despise the OC is the insane amount of repetitiveness, find four items in four different locations.... Oh! Find four more items in four different locations. And joy of joys, find some more.

Oh, and for playing on in HotU, I believe it's designed as a continuation of SoU, not the OC. Since ideally, you start HotU at level 15, rather then closer to 20.

17. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Thanks for the input!
    I´ve just started SoU. Playing a paladin and concentrating on the roleplaying aspect (recovering powergamer)
    Its fun to play when you concentrat to play according to the carachter (no looting of temples takes awhile to get used to :)
    I think Im going to play HoU with that character instead.
    My build from the OC was ridicilously effective in the end. Bard/fighter/rouge 11/4/3. Stopped bothering with saves altogether since I never "bought the farm"

As soon as my hangover lightens up Im back to gnollbashing.
    C

18. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Rednik, I don't know how you could have played it through with three characters. I beat it once and I didn't care to repeat that process, just so boring. The expansions weren't too great either. My favourite part of all of them is the beginning of SoU. After that, it was torture. I beat them for the sake of beating them and a hope that they might get better, but I was disapointed.

19. Rednik Gems: 21/31

NWN was my first RPG, give me break. I thought it was AWESOME.

I'm playing Liberal Crime Squad right now, its text based glory owns NWN. Sad.

20. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Okay, I understand how you played it that much. I hate it too much to play it now. BG 1 is more appealing to me now. But thats starting to get off topic so I'll stop.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.