1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Windows XP- Crash on Loading screen

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Palanthas, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Palanthas Banned

[​IMG] Please help!
    I have tried to get help through Infogrames and come away frustrated. My save games work for a while and then suddenly the game will start freezing at the end of the first screen before proceeding to the second (right before the game comes back up). The music loops over and over again until the game crashes. I have reinstalled the Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value drivers from Creative's site. I am running Windows XP Home Edition. This thing is driving me crazy! Once a save game is infected, it will not work again until I go to a previous save and work my way back to that point. I have cleaned the CD- I see no scratches of any type. Does anyone know of anything that could help? Thanks.

2. Ron the Gnome Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Welcome to the club, The game seems to work only on GEFORCE 4 card with Arithron.
    I'm starting to think we might have reasons to starting checking if we can sue Bioware and Infogames for unfair trading: saling software for Good Luck, or try to use some other modules before they realease news update...

3. Zeris Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I run a geforce ti4200, a soundblaster audigy gamer, and just upgraded to XP home. NWN has crashed while running, like yours has, and sometimes will get a fatal error, like yours, at that particular loading screens. Sometimes I can re-start NWN without a hitch. When I can't, rebooting my comp has worked just fine. If there's anything I can do to test my system or tell you something about it that might make mine work where yours doesn't, let me know.

4. Palanthas Banned

[​IMG] Well, I am continuing the best I can. I save two different games each time I save and am just hoping for the best. Been on Bioware's forums and seen some other things but no one seems to have a fix.
    Seen some references to SecureRom? I don't know. Please let me know if you hear anything else. Thanks,

Palanthas

5. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Running Win XP Pro with a GF2, and NWN has chrashed a couple of times. Not really a problem though. I always could just restart the game. Just remember to save often ;) .

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Well, I didn't really play it all that much.

Though I have been seriously considering giving it another try.

It played fine for the 45minutes or so it was on my computer. I saved a couple of times, and I think I even alt-tabbed out to the walkthrough, and returned just fine to the game. Really sounds like another driver issue. *LOTS* of people have driver issues with XP.

I use a tbird 1400 and a GF2 Ultra.

7. Ron the Gnome Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Did most of your's problems arrive when you got into the prison area? Ir(s seems that I have much more problems there

8. Palanthas Banned

You may be ahead of me. I am going into Charwood now in Chapter 2. Just finished NeverWinter Wood and the orc caves. I haven't gone to Luskan yet. I never had any trouble with any of the Baldur's Gate games. Guess no company's perfect huh? Later,

Palanthas

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] :evil: MWAHAHAHAHA, that's what you get for using a crappy OS :evil: Win98 SE for me all the way till XP is eventually ready, debugged and works flawless - the way Win-98 SE works now. So maybe one far day I'll update to XP, let's say in 2003, when support for 98SE runs out :D

Besides, NWN is not the only game that has trouble with XP, that is iirc a pretty common problem met by unfortunate gamers using XP.

10. Darth_Moorezo Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] im Just about to buy NWN i use a GF4 with XP pro do you think i will have this problem

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Death, it's quite possible. Very few drivers out there are 100% XP compatible. DirectX isn't, and that's Microsoft's own!

Ragusa, you think SE works flawlessly? I quite frequently have crashes with NWN with 98SE.

12. Darth_Moorezo Gems: 1/31

oh well i'll still buy the game i can put up with some crashes and if it is crashing too much i'll take it back to the shop
    ps. Ragusa I think every one would like you a lot more if you tried to help them with their problems instead of slaging them off about their "crappy" OS personally I think your a bloody s##t

[ August 14, 2002, 20:12: Message edited by: Darth_Moorezo ]

13. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Darth, I am very sure that Ragusa did not mean it to be offending. Look up the words sarcasm and joke in the dictionary. That should help.

Also, consult the FAQ.

Sorry for being off-topic. And, Darth, edit the post. Or you fly like a sack of potatoes, thrown by Tal's Sling of Offending Ppl Elimination +23.

Di I mention the FAQ?

Ezellohar Shark, The Fanfiction Writer

[I believe the moderating is to be left to the moderators - BTA]

Sorry, BTA, I did not mean to act like a moderator, I just told him that something like that can happen to him, if he does not edit his post. Did not try to be a moderator. Sorry.

[ August 18, 2002, 09:44: Message edited by: Ezellohar Shark ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.