1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to pre-design a character?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Immoral, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Immoral Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been around in quite some time (busy with a new office). I see a lot of old names still here. And quite a few new ones.

Anyway, to the matter at hand.

How do you pre-design a character for NWN?

I have not had the opportunity, nor the priveledge of playing with 3rd edition rules and thus, do not know how to go about designing my character(s) for this vast new world of adventure.

I posted this in hopes of some guidance in this matter. I have already read all the official guides from Bioware and of course on this site, but I need to know more.

Such as:

1. How to allocate AP with-in the point-buy system (is there a program?)
    2. How many feats do each class receive; and at what levels

I'm attempting to ready a monk as a first character (Quan Ji) and it would help a great deal if I knew where to begin.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Immoral

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You'll be able to do everything in the game... Character creation is a snap, and there's also a Recommend button for everything a bit more complicated so the game can assign you the optimal settings.

Not exactly an answer to your question, just to give you some idea what it'll look like. ;)

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I saw a video with one of the BioWare guys go through the whole character generation system once. Don't remember where though.

4. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

5. Magnus Magicus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

You get 30 points to add to your stats, which all start at 8.

Raising a stat costs:
    9 = 1 point
    10 = 2 points
    11 = 3 points
    12 = 4 points
    13 = 5 points
    14 = 6 points
    15 = 8 points
    16 = 10 points
    17 = 13 points
    18 = 16 points

Then apply racial modifiers.

All characters get 1 feat at level 1 and another at level 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 and 18.

Fighters and Wizards get extra feats at some levels and Rangers also start with extra feats.

Humans get an extra feat at level 1.

6. Cullain Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

7. Zothar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Here is my advice, and I have played and DM'ed 3E extensively.

As a monk, your most important stat is dex, followed by wis.
    Str and con are important too, but for a monk it's dex dex dex.

Skills
    Tumble is key for a monk, max it.
    The usefullness of the other monk class skills depend on what kind of monk you wish to be, although most go for move silently and hide.

Feats
    The best feats have prerequisites, and many of the prerequisites are weak. You take them so you can get the better feats later on.

The single best feat for a monk is spring attack, you need dodge and mobility to take it, plus 13+ dex, and +4 or better base attack bonus (level 6 for a monk)

The next best feat for a monk is Weapon Finesse. It allows you to use your dex bonus to your attacks instead of your str.
    You can't take it at level 1 though.

Race:
    Small races (hobbit or gnome) suck as monks. They get major penalties to damage and movement.
    Elf is best, since they have +2 to dex, and for monks its all about the dex.

Possible 30 point buy elf monk

Str 10 (2 points)
    Int 8 (0 points)
    Wis 14 (6 points)
    Con 12 (6 points -2 race)
    Dex 20 (16 points + 2 race)
    Chr 8 (0 points)

(note: these stats give 17 AC at level 1 unarmored, and AC 18 if you take dodge)

Feat:
    Dodge

Skills
    4 tumble
    4 hide
    4 move silently

Alternate (more well rounded version)

str 14 (6 points)
    int 10 (2 points)
    Wis 14 (6 points)
    Dex 18 (10 points +2 race)
    con 12 (6 points -2 race)
    chr 8 (0 points)

You get more skill points, more damage from strength, but 2 less dex.

http://members.cox.net/zothar/

[This message has been edited by Zothar (edited June 12, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Zothar (edited June 12, 2002).]

8. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I agree with everything Zothar said.
    Just like to add a couple of things. Personally I would go for something like the 'Alternate'. Because:
    1. It is really nice to have a couple of bonus points for strength to add that extra damage since weapon finesse just affects your attack roll.
    2. With a str 10 you can't carry much loot till you drop your AC because of load (medium load means max dex of +3 for AC).

The only skill list I have seen from NWN did not include tumble which is very unfortunate. Hide and Move silently are at least in.

9. Magnus Magicus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Do mind that Zothar's reply is for a PnP monk. For NWN it might be a bit different, for some skills and feats are not supported by NWN and the pace of the game might be different.

Nice explanations, I must admit that.

/me bows to the leader of the almighty YRF ;)

10. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] The answer to this maybe in a thread somewhere but my search did find anything.

A quick question on the point buy. NWN has stated the official point allocation will be 30. ALFA stated a limit of 28 in the past. Will ALFA be increasing to 30 or staying at 28? Thanks for your help.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    From what I gather on the ALFA boards, they're going to stick with whatever point buy NWN has when it ships.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.