1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Did anyone else feel abit ripped off when playing NWN ?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Nesh, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Nesh Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I bought NWN , having great expectations about it. But after playing it I notice lots of stuff that seem , well stupid in it. Not to put the game down too much though but its packed with mistakes.
    Here are some examples :

1. Paladins are imune to fear. Yet you can kiill them with the phantasmal killer spell , a spell that frightens you to death.

2. Druids can cast call lightning inndoors , definatly not by the book or even by comon sense.

3. Insanely little XP for killing dragons even if there is a chalenge rating thingy. a lousy 240xp for killing it alone with a level 11 monk.

4. Druids running around with any kind of weapons (if you take a feat) Druids swear an oath to use druidic weapons only. If they break it they loose their special abilities. This might be changed in the 3rd edition rules though.

These are just a few.
    Anyway when playing it this kind of stuff bug me. It ruins alot of gameplay I think. The game itself is great though. The plot and storyline is well written and all but all in all I think it didnt live up to its expextations.
    Does anyone else feel like the game was "finished in a hurry" so to speak ?

2. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

4 is changed in third edition rules.

Hmm, 240xp is a lot for one enemy. Remember that you only need 1500 or so xp per level. This isn't AD&D with insane xp tables.

2 is definitely a screw up, as is 1.

3. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The XP amounts increase as you advance through the levels. 1,500 might move you up a level earlier on but later on you need 10,000 or more. Cruddy XP system anyway.

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Rastor... what do you mean,... druid are allowed to use any weapons in 3rd ed?

Becouse that is not true... they're still limited to those few they are not sworn to not use. If they do they lose their powersfor a day. Same goes for armor... no metal or the same punishment occurs.
    But all this is in PnP.

It is not implemented in NwN, or any other CPRG that i know of. Except in ALFA naturaly ;) :) .
    They are just proficent in medium armor and simple weapons (and some other - weapon proficency: druid). But taking just one feat and you're walking around a tin - encased in full plate. :o

5. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

If you multiclass a druid to fighter (or the other way around), the druid can use all martial weapons.

6. Gothmog

Yes, yes of course he can. He can do the same if he chooses a feat Weapon proficency: Martial weapons.
    He can use everything any other character can.

Thats what i'm saying... Druidical oaths are not implemented.

7. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I didn't feel ripped off when I played the game, but I didn't exactly love it either. There were too many similar dungeons, and so much of it was running from place to place doing "sidequests". It was also way too easy. That's something I hardly ever complain about, but in this case it's true. I think the game itself wasn't that important to the developers; they were more interested in putting out the toolset/DM/multiplayer client. Unfortunately the toolset is well-nigh impossible to use unless you're already familiar with programming. So if you're looking for a good single player game, NWN is sort of a rip off. The multiplayer's supposed to be good.

8. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Actually, Neriana, the toolset seemed very easy and intuitive to me. I have used it to design some small mods and create some custom items, and I am by no means familiar with programming. But I do agree that the story for both the OC and SoU were weak and easy. Having that convenient "Stone of Recall" made it too easy. At least you only could use the ring for the first chapter of SoU, but the story never was really able to engage me.

I like what they have included in HotU, and I hope that they also have come up with a good plot, story and characters. The engine and the platform deserve no less.

I have very little time to play crpg's, and feel cheated when they just don't deliver. If HotU doesn't grab me right off the bat, I may have to go buy BG2.

9. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

LOL they couldn't have made the tool set any easier then it was. Christ its easy and with even no programming experience anyone could pick it up in no time :) Actually one of the few good things about NWN was the editor but its “very” limited indeed. The single player just sucks to bad unfortunately your right about that, the multiplayer sucks even more, I played in some servers and all people seemed to want to do is try to kill each other except everyone makes the own uber 1337 armours and items in the editor which makes them invincible in game, imo there was nothing fun about the multiplayer.

10. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Actually, the call lightning indoors thing isn't a screw up. it was obviously implemented for game balance, as this potent ability would be pretty silly if you could only use it half the time, against the monsters you probably don't need to use it on.

Besides, in 3.5 it is usable indoors. It just isn't as good that way.

11. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Well, I guess I'm not someone who enjoys figuring out how to program something entirely new with virtually no instructions whatsoever. I'm far from the only one who didn't feel like teaching themselves the system - there are plenty of reviews, and messages on various boards, that talk about this near-total lack of documentation. Sure, I could scour the web and find instructions somewhere, but I have better things to do with my time.

12. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

There is 1 million forums and video tutorials in nwmvault which would tell you all you need to know about the toolset

13. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

firstly, the editor is very easy (though limited as Sarevok said) and there is plenty of tutorials and documentation about it (mostly in nwnvault as far as i am aware). Try the morrowind editor if you'd like to see a really bad*ss editor :mad:

About the game. I expected what it was before i bought it so i don't feel ripped of. The main quest was too simple and it just wasn't that involving like BG. So why did i bought it? I created a LAN with my friends PC's (they live near me) and whenever we want to play, someone is the DM and all the others play IC. So that was a way to actually convert our PnP adventures in a PC environment.

So if you want my opinion, this way of multiplayer is why NWN was designed at the first place.

14. Gothmog

Uhm... Sirdan.. if you live so close together, why dont you sit down to a PnP session?

My opinion is that NwN has been designed for freaks like me who have no people around that are willing to play D&D with us. So we go multiplayer and find some people over the world who want to play.

Unfortunately as sarevok noted before there are plenty of others who have no idea what RPing means, or if they do they dont like it and ignore that this is a "roleplaying game" :rolleyes:
    Going on multiplayer just to brag about their unstopable hacked characters dealing 150damage per hit, having 9999*10^93742 hit points&stuff like that. I truly wonder how they can keep interest in such a style of "playing". Probably just the satisfaction of beating another character who didnt hack his char good enough :rolleyes: :o

But not all servers are such boring places of powergamers... Some are pretty nice. Look under PW story section... you should find some more RPlike servers there.
    Most notably there is ALFA of course... the most Uber RP stuff you can get with NwN AFAIK. Truly Uber.
    Look for more in the downmost forum... online adventures ;)

15. Nazgul Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well there are plenty of games out there, just depends on how uber you wish to get. That is why I don't play in those super uber games.

The PW I play in (www.nwnserver.net) actually removes items to make the game balanced.

The PW I play is based off of the old NWN game that was on AOL. So if you had the maps, you would be able to get around the old areas fairly easy.

They have added areas that a group (5-9) lvl 20 characters currently have problems getting through.

You just need to know where to look.

[ December 03, 2003, 14:37: Message edited by: Nazgul ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.