1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What do you think about the NWN expansions?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I was just wondering what people think about the 2 expansions. I haven't even bought either of them. And as of right now, I don't even plan to (rather spend my money on Temple, Lionheart, Vice City, etc... ). :rolleyes:

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 31 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: What do you think about the NWN expansions? (31 votes.)

What do you think about the NWN expansions? (Choose 1)
    * Half the value of a smashed penny, they really suck. - 0% (0)
    * They are ok(probably not worth the money though) - 29% (9)
    * They are a great addition to the awesome game that is NWN! - 42% (13)
    * No opinion, Don't care... - 29% (9)

2. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Bought the first one and was disappointed. Then again, I'm still not sure *why* I bought it because I didn't like the original game one bit and expected the expansion to be bad. And it was. At least I didn't buy it expecting a masterpiece only to be let down...

Not got the second expansion yet as I don't believe it's out for another few months.

3. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

That's a bit of a gap, isn't it, from OK but not really worth the money to, basically, the greatest thing since sliced bread? My opinion really lies somewhere in between. While the original was, well, dreadfully unoriginal, the first expansion was a definite step in the right direction. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as BG2 but still found it fun and worth the money. Just my 2 cents.

4. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

Sorry Jonny, I sorta slpped this pole together real quick.

5. DarthMuffin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I enjoyed the original NWN (not as much as BG though), and I bought SoU. IMO, SoU can hardly be considered as an x-pack; it looks like a big patch.

5 prcs... that's great...

but,

1.Harper scout is not used, since everybody only cares about powergaming
    2.People only take one shadow dancer level for the HiPS.
    3.The Blackguard is just and evil paladin who can summon stuff. He's great when you first try it, but i found myself liking palies better.

The new campaign is just pathetic. Many people said it's better than the original, but it is TOO SHORT (you're lucky if you get level 14 after finishing it); and the original wasn't long enough also (they say HotU's campaign is 20+ hours, it's better be true...).

*Note : I understand that the designers decided to put emphasis on the toolset and modules, but being a BG saga fan, I like long, deep, interesting stories*

New feats? A bunch of level 1-only feats (there are some useful ones, but...)
    New skills? Tumble, craft trap, appraise... that's not much...
    New spells? A couple of nice here, but IMO that's not enough.

As you can understand, I was really (and I mean _really_) disappointed with this x-pack. My biggest disappointment was the lack of epic levels, but that's about to be corrected with HotU. I personally only recommand SoU to hardcore NWN fan; when my friends asked me if SoU was worth it, I told them to get HotU when it comes out and that I will lend them my SoU CD.

Despite all this, I'm looking very foward to HotU. 40 levels should be lot better. If only they could include sub-races :( ... Don't get me wrong; I actually *like* NWN, but this x-pack was a huge disappointment for me.

Conclusion : SoU was released to keep us interested in NWN while they work on HotU.

6. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

Apparently no one hates the game.

7. dshadow Gems: 8/31

Strange that so many gaming magazines have said such amazing things about it yet no one outside gaming magazines seems to rate the game very highly at all.

Do I smell substantial bribery on hand here?

8. BigStick Gems: 13/31

I love this game and the first expansion pack was absolutely great. The additional music, sounds effects, tilesets, monsters, PrC's, etc really made it worthwhile for me to purchase. I thoroughly enjoyed the XP1 adventure and was impressed by the increase in the finish of it compared to the OC campaign.

I've never had more fun with a computer game than I've had with this game.

9. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

NWN can never compare to the BG series or even Planescape: Torment in terms of sheer grandness and story, but it's still a fun game nevertheless. It's not the best, but it's not bad. Admittedly, the original campaign did get rather boring at times and the 1st XP was rather sparse...it still had its great moments.

So...I'm buying the next expansion. *starts saving now*

10. fade Gems: 13/31

To be quite honest, I never did finish the original campian, I just got bored. Multiplayer was fun with downloading modules and playing through them with friends. Once the expansion camp out it took us a bit but we finally decided to buy it. Now we are having a race to see who can finish the single player campain first, and I must say I am enjoying this much for than the original campain. It is disapointly short, but I guess I have just been spoiled from playing bg2.

11. rastilin Gems: 8/31

The biggest problem with NWN is the story line, I think we can all agree that they could do with a better one but beyond that the game rocks. Mind you some more storyline spells like spider climb and telekenesis would be nice.

12. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

never liked neverwinter nights or the expansion.
    the main story in neverwinter nights (not the expansion) is good, but the game itself sucks.

for some reason i dream of the day they make baldurs gate series in fully 3d with the same old rules (the rules used in the original game) and with some new quests, kits and so on.

bah, my point is: i think nwn sucks.

13. night_hawk Banned

Me really, i hate neverwinternights, no offence but i hate the way the backround(houses,trees,monuments ect) is likecut in "half" or something. i dont know why but now I know they were making this game like 3 years before were grapgics is still classic and the machines aint that fast.so now I dont care if the graphics aint that good. I like the story line and all but please.. the expansion packs! oww... it not bad but of course you expect high from the creators of the critically acclaimed Baldurs gate.

But i really miss those "item hunting" really. For some odd reasonitems are not that cool here. i dont know why but whatever i cant explain it. l8tr man.

14. BigStick Gems: 13/31

That feature is adjustable in the settings. It enables you to continue to see your character and nearby enemies when your view would otherwise be obstructed by a building/tree/monument/etc. Take a look in the visual settings of the setup in the game, you should find an option there to set it to something like always/never/dynamic.

15. night_hawk Banned

hey ty for the info

16. fyernine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

If BG 2 is 9 out of 10 and NWN is 5 out of 10 then I'd give SoU 7 out of 10.
    I have to admit, I'm surprised. it wasn't all that bad, in fact in many places it was even pretty good.

The npcs were a little bit more colourful than in the OG but they could do with more development. It seems that once you've talked to one and had an interesting interchange, when you go bck you're back to the same dialogue, no development.

Liked the new tile sets, and I'm surprised by that. The old ones were really boring. I really like the mountain set.

The prestige classes are pretty unprestigious save the assasin and the evil paladin. at last an evil paladin.

I only bought it cos I wanted to play on Alfa but it doesn't seem like too much of a waste. Yet - I've only just started chapter too, so it still might suck

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.