1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Should Monks be allowed to multiclass?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Shell, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I found out today that monks can multiclass in Neverwinter Nights. This goes against my whole understanding of monks, whom I thought followed one god and were devoted to that one. Surely multiclassing destroys some of these values?

2. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Every class can now multiclass in the 3 ed.. It's the multiclassing freedom everybody seemed to have wanted.

I personally prefer the way Icewind Dale II handels the "god" issue with Paladins and Monks and how their multiclassing ability is restricted, whereas in NWN, "gods" just weren't implemented.

Still there are some alignment restrictions. If a monk turns chaotic, he can't level up as monk anymore.

Already tried Monk/Sorcerer ? Pretty funny :) .

[ March 31, 2003, 18:42: Message edited by: Yago ]

3. MrGrouch Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

In the PnP rules Monks/Paladins can not multiclass to any other class and still increase thier levels in the Monk/Paladin class. However, in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (the gameworld used by Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights), they altered this a bit. Paladins and Monks could multi-class freely to another class determined by what order they belonged too. A Monk of Shar can multiclass as a Sorcerer, and then level up his Monk class again at a later time. However, if the Monk of Shar takes a level of Fighter, then he can never gain a level of Monk again. This is the way it works in Icewind Dale II. In Neverwinter Nights, they decided to allow any class to multiclass without losing the ability to level up in the original class.

4. Nazgul Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Only time a Monk can multi class is certian prestige classes.

But you could level your monk to say 15th lvl, then put 5 levels of Sorceror into it.

5. Moghol Khan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I think NWN tries to ease things up a little bit because it's not a party game. In my opinion monks shouldn't be allowed to multiclass even with the restrictions (like in IWD2). I hate monks by the way, they become overly powerful and it isn't good for the balance of the game. Also I don't like the idea that a man fights with bare hands against a great sword or the like

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

In the 3e PnP rules though, the rule that monks cannot multiclass was removed. I agree that they are pretty powerful now, but they are by no means as overpowered as they were in AD&D.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.