1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Skill Points for a Ranger

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by nior, May 23, 2006.

1. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Basically I need some pointers with skill points distribution.

I just got my ranger to level 6 and had been having some fun with the Black Panther as my animal companion. My Elven ranger's stats are as follows:
    STR 13
    DEX 17 (19 with magic items)
    CON 14 (or was it 16)
    WIS 13
    INT 10
    CHR 10

And for role-playing purposes, I'd like to level up as a ranger until level 8 or 10.

I equipt my ranger with Composite Long Bow+1, for range attack. Long Sword (upgraded with diamond, the one with sonic bonus) and medium shield+1. And two weapons, rapier and short sword (both upgraded by the smith in chapter 1).

Base on my INT and class selection, I only have 4 skill points at my disposal during level ups.

So...
    1. I've already put around 8 points into PARRY, is that enough already? My DEX is quite high

2. ANIMAL EMPATHY, exactly what does this do? I don't cast charms spells or summon animals (except for animal companion). Can I go about without it? Or does this affect my animal companion's performances?

3. WEAPON and ARMOR CRAFTING, what are these for?

4. How much skill points of HEALING, CONCENTRATION and DISCIPLINE do I need?

5. I have a feeling that BLUFF and PERSUADE basically have the same function. Am I right? Otherwise, base on my CHR count, how much PERSUADE skill points should I invest in? Or which is the better choice of the 2 skills?

FEATS:
    1. FASTER RELOADS (for archers), it says that it will allow your character to reload missiles at the rate of Crossbows? It doesn't show when I use Long Bows or Composite Long Bows... I mean I'd be lucky to get 2 shots at a single target before it got close enough for melee (I still didn't get POINT-BLANK SHOT). Do I need some other FEATS to augment it?

2. Is SKILL FOCUS feat worthwhile?

Thanks.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I believe Faster Reloads are for crossbows only, so if you don't use crossbows, it's useless. IIRC, you normally only get one shot per round with a crossbow regardless of BAB, but with Faster Reloads you get the extra atacks your BAB affords. Since you listed a longbow rather than a crossbow in your equipment, I'm guessing you wasted the feat.

Skill focuse is useful if you have a skill you really like and cannot advance it normally to the point where you find it effective.

You don't need much Healing as I recall for you to succeed all the time with the healing packs; Concentration is pretty useless for a Ranger since he won't be casting many spells in combat; Discipline while sometimes useful is a cross-class skill for the Ranger I believe, so not worth it IMO.

Are you telling me you aren't taking any of the stealth or search skills? They are all class skills for a Ranger, and IMO the most valuable.

3. nior Gems: 24/31

Thanks for the reply BTA.

Yes, I did put around 9 points each for Hide and Move Silently. As for SEARCH, I'm trying to focus on the skills that might be more usefull at the time being. Besides, I get some bonus to search being an Elf and Tomi also have a high SEARCH skill.

Rapid Reloads (correcting Faster Reloads), is only for crossbow. I went over the description and realized that you were right. Sucks to know I've wasted that feat.

4. annelid Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Discipline hasn't been a cross-class skill for the ranger for awhile. It is a class skill now.

5. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    The rapid reload feat isn't wasted since your ranger is taking the 2 weapon fighting feat progression. Just get him a good crossbow later on.

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Parry does not do anything.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Depends what you are going to do after level 10. If you are going Shadowdancer then put it all into Hide and Move Silently. I have never used Parry because that just makes fights go longer. I have not found a use for it in single player campaigns. I usually put points into Heal because I use healing kits all the time.

8. nior Gems: 24/31

I'm having a little problem with Animal Empathy. I didn't put a single point into it, am I missing anything? I got a glove and a ring of animal empathy which combined actually gave me close to 16 points but I still can't talk to a deer. What am I doing wrong here? Anybody?

9. Cantlos Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Animal Empathy is a trained skill only, if I'm not mistaken.

What class are you? As far as I know you can only talk to animals if you are actually a ranger or druid (Even without ranks in animal empathy).

Personally I think animal empathy can be quite usefull (especially on lower levels), as it is basically a dominate animal spell (with a skill check onyour part instead of a save on the animals part)

By the way, is there any way to change the name of your animal companion?

[ June 26, 2006, 15:11: Message edited by: Cantlos ]

10. Late Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Media:
    Indeed, parry is pretty much useless in the OC unless for roleplaying reasons. You already get loads of magic items that raise your AC to godlike heights. In some low-magic PW's parry is very powerful though.

11. nior Gems: 24/31

@Cantlos, I didn't know that the thread title would still prompt you to ask what class my character is. Sorry, couldn't help it. :grin:

You can change your animal companion's name during the first time it was made available to you. It's pretty much like choosing you character's name. You can use "Generate Name" or just type in the name you want. During level ups, your animal companion also levels up with you (assuming you level up in the appropriate class), I *think* you can also change the name of your animal companion... but I could be wrong with the level up situation.

12. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

No. Parry does really not do anything. It's a bug.

Or did Bioware fix it?

13. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

The only downside is that it's capped at a maximum of 3 attacks per round. Apart from that, it works fine.

14. Cantlos Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Got me there :p . Still hope I was of some help (since I'm ussually the one asking for it :p )

Never noticed that menu. Must've rolled a natural one there. Multiple times...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.