1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Best weapon type and worst weapon type...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Jaguar, May 26, 2004.

1. Drizzt the Drow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I think the best weapon types are long sword,spiked weapon,bows and blunt. Since I don't have any usw\e for missle weapons I think they are useless.

2. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I can't justify using a composite longbow!
    Any character capable of using one should be in the thick of the battle using melee weapons!
    I think that darts are awsome, I wouldn't use them with a fighter or anything, but a mage with bad THAC0 has a better chance of doing some dammage (at least one should hit :) , I hope)

3. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yes, but you would use it to weaken the enemy before engaging in melee combat - a very sensible tactic.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, considering the only characters capable of using such a weapon are fighters, paladins, rangers, and once entering BGII barbarians, I tend to agree. Missile weapons however are in their heyday in BG1. It is quite silly not to carry around some form of a missile weapon. The only thing I have a problem with is it gets really annoying to keep switching back and forth between bow/sword. I must ackowledge however a skilled archer will out-kill any melee character in BG1.

In BG2 whole new story. Missile weapons get progressively weaker as you increase in levels and eventually, you're right - a melee character won't be using the composite longbow any more.

5. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    "In BG2 whole new story. Missile weapons get progressively weaker as you increase in levels and eventually, you're right - a melee character won't be using the composite longbow any more. "

One tends to think they did that on purpose. I think missile weapons are very usefull in BG1, especcially when soloing.

I voted for two-handed swords as best melee and daggers as worst. I know two-handed swords aren't the best melee weapons, but I like them.

For ranged I find bows to be affective and second to that slings. I don't like crossbows for their slow shot rate.

My 2 eurocents...

6. Trouveur Gems: 1/31

Ok for melee I think the worst is club, because I don't remember finding ANY magical one in BG1.
    The better would be Scimitar (Drizzt's Scimitar Frostband is +3 and can be stolen).
    As for ranged weapons I think they are all good depending of your character classes (sling for druid, darts for wizard, long bow for ranger etc...)

7. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I know I'm gong against what everybody else thinks, but have any of you seen Jahiera with Quarterstaff+3 and the gauntlets of ogre power? Monstrous! Mix that with Imoen and Eagle bow and bracers of archery and you got a recipe for trouble. This is my fave combination in BG1, and it's always worked for me...

8. Tananda Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I love playing with big swords ( :evil: ), since they're usually very powerful, and I love giving Jaheira Darts of Wounding... the poison effects disrupt attacks and magic SO nicely. As for useless, am I the only one who never uses spears or halberds in BG1? I mean, they never really appealled to me, and you rarely find magic ones.

9. Sevarus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well, I was going to put darts for worst ranged weapon, but after reading all the responses I might just give them a chance.

Best Melee: Two-Handed swords
    Worst Melee: Clubs
    Best Ranged: Short Bow
    Worst Ranged: Throwing Daggers.

10. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I never get tired of Long swords, if it be with a Large Shield+1 or totting an extra on the off hand (BG2), I never liked clubs or any two-handed weapons (the AC from the shields are needed for the fighters in the group).

Always start a fight by initiating some composite long bow action (take out weaker monsters or simply peg down the main opposition), and then equip your long sword, unless you have the boots of speed you can just run in there squeeking like a hamster! I did put down darts as my worst ranged weapon but after reading a few of these posts Im willing to give them a try.

11. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

The only thing I didn't like was that like so many other RPG's the longsword seems favoured over other weapon types for magical enhancements and abilities. Although BG isn't too bad for this, there was an awful lot of +1 longswords being found all the way through it by every party I've gone through with.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.