1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Path of hellfire? Poor sleeping man?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Skywind, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I had completed HOD, but there are still some things that I don't understand.

1. Somewhere during the quest to find the knower of names, at the snowy place where there are frost giants, the quest obtained ring points the arrow to the frost giants fortress. But there is another passage which lead to a cave(got to use the demonic hand to get to the area). Inside the cave, there a path which was on fire. is there something important or useful inside? is there a way to get inside without being deal 100+ damages?

2.I only found(though the knower of names)that the woman worshipping the sleeping man was his love, after I had to kill her as she attacked me. So after I told the sleeping man, he also attack me. Is there a way to let the sleeping man have a "Happy ending"?

2. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I can help you with this to an extent (its been a while). First, to pass the hallway of fire i believe you can use the demonic hand. A way around this would be to beef up your fire resistance (ring of power, priest spell, etc).

Inside, your eventually find a cage. Inside, once make it accessable(wont say how here) i believe theres a ring or something inside. I can't remember exactly what it is, but considering the point in the game, i can tell you its decent.

I'm afraid im too hazy to answer your second question. All i recall is that, yes, there is a way to keep sleeping man happy. Erg... i really need to play that expansion again...

3. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

1. Demonic Hand won't work. You need to shape-shift into a fairy using the amulet of the sleeping man. This is the only way to cross the burning corridor.
    2. The true love of the sleeping man is randomly generated. It can be you (if you're playing female), the knower of names, or any other special lady in the game. I'm not sure when the true love is generated - I believe it is when you ask the question to her name. So you could try to save your game before you ask the knower of names the name of the true love of the sleeping man. Reload until you are satisfied.

4. Ganz Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Yes, the sleeping man's true love is randomly generated just before you ask the knower of names. I've tried it and left it as Aribeth. Unfortunately, I didn't have Aribeth in my party although I did manage to convince her to walk the path of light beforehand.

5. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

If the sleeping man's true love is the lady that's been guarding him, you can still manage a happy ending. Pay for her true name, and then you can command her to wake him. He'll say hello, then rush off in a panic -- but don't worry, eventually they get back together.

One cheap tactic is to save-and-restore 'til you find out that the sleeping man's true love is the knower-of-names. That gives you her name without having to pay for it separately, so that you can force her to reveal the priciest name. Presto!

6. Skywind Gems: 10/31

Veteran

But in order to get her true name I must wake the sleeping man to find the knower of names right? The lady attacked me right after I wake the sleeping man. So I can only know her true name after she is dead... and when I told the sleeping man, he attacked me.

7. Emmanuel Julius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

You don't actutally have to wake him to get to the knower of names....i don't remember too well but if you have sufficient wisdom you can see his dreams, etc which leads to the knower of names eventually

Once you reach the knower of names then you can find the true name of various characters including the prietess which prevents her from attacking if you use it against her...

8. Skywind Gems: 10/31

Veteran

So, I guess a wisdom of only 12 shouldn't be enough... Thanks anyway!

9. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'm having the same problem. My wisdom isn't high enough and I can't find any potions or spells to boost it :( I'll try again with the idea mentioned above of reloading until the Knower of Names randomly chooses something that fits.

The only problem then is how to wake the man without getting the Sensei so angry. I don't really want to kill her. I tried running away, then sneaking back with invisability so that I didn't have to kill her but the Sleeping man won't talk to me then (even when I am visible again). It seems the game is designed to allow you to progress only if you are wise or a homacidel maniac ;) . Oh well, if anyone knows a way around this, it would be good to hear.

PS. hello, it looks like I'm back on the boards for a bit. I've got sucked back into NWN mainly so that I can try the 'In The Footsteps Of Dante' Planescape modules.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Welcome back! ;)

If everything else fails, you can create a potion of wisdom for yourself via the console. Though admittedly it's very annoying that NWN gives stupid descriptive names to potions and doesn't even list what the potion does in the item description. :rolleyes:

The WIS potion is that of Owl's Wisdom IIRC. You should also be able to find it in stores easily enough.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.