1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Druid and Companions

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Gothmog, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

What do you think i should choose as a compnion for my druid???
    I intend to play solo so it would be wise if it could do the major part of fights. I cant choose betwen bear or wolf :rolleyes:
    If you have a better suggestion post it here :)

2. Ark Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

get daelan bayle or whatever that half orc's name is.

3. Gothmog

I asked about Animal Companion and not Henchman :mad:
    If you dont know what i asked dont answer :rolleyes:

However i wont take Any henchman and especialy not Daelan (worst of them all) becouse the game is already too easy even without them :(

4. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The bear is fantastic, and I've heard that the panther is pretty good. Just choose one, flip a coin or whatever, it's not like the devs made one companion much weaker than the rest :p

5. Gothmog

I thought about the panther but everybody say hisstrenght is in sneak attacks :) So i think he wouldn be that good standing alone in the front line. He works best with a main fighter and he as a supporter(to his sneak attack to work).

It remains two solid fighters: bear and dire wolf IMHO

[ September 14, 2002, 17:25: Message edited by: Gothmog4230 ]

6. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

You're right about the panther's strength being in sneak attacks. However, being a rogue, he is also good at avoiding blows. This was the one thing I didn't like about the bear; while he is phenomenally strong, he gets hit way too often.

In my experience, none of the animal companions fare too well in the face of strong foes. For easy to moderate encounters, however, they all do quite well. Wildfire is right, you can pretty much flip a coin.

7. Gothmog

As for avoiding blows dire wolf would be good as well - he has high dex. In fact it seems it is his primary attribute, second is strenght,...

It started to seem rather cool as i speak aboutr him right now... I think i'll just take him.

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'm not sure if they are the same, but you can sunmmon a direwolf at with lvl 3 spells, direbear with level 5 ... diretiger with level 6. That leads me to think that the bear is better than the wolf, just in terms of hit points and power.

The panther was cool though ...

9. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Mat, yes, but the bear you can have as your campanion in only a brown bear, not a dire bear as you can summon at level 5.

[ September 16, 2002, 18:34: Message edited by: Wildfire ]

10. Gothmog

And the Wolf is the dire one :D

About summons> companions are stronger right? at least when over level 7 or so?

11. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

You repick your companion every time you level up, so if you don't like the one you have you can change them when you level up. I prefer the panther at lower levels as its sneak attack can kill weaker creatures with one blow, while the wolf's evade comes in handy when fighting the stronger creatures. Also you can cast Stoneskin on your companions, which does a great job in helping them survive.

12. Gothmog

But if you re-choose your companion later it is weaker than it would be if you've chosen him in the first place right? I think it is so :)

13. Person_Persival Banned

[​IMG] a little off topic but Ark confused Daelan Red Tiger with Gaylen Bayle off baldurs gate two, ha...haha...well I thought it was funny

[ October 01, 2002, 14:58: Message edited by: Person_Persival ]

14. Elementus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

this is how I go by:

Silent druid (maybe a ranger/druid) - Panther, bat, and the other smaller creatures.

Archer - Dire Wolf

Dungeon Crawl Druid - Bear (correct me if I am wrong but is he slower? Thats why a dungeon crawl would be good for a bear, correct em if you can please)

If you have an unusual multi class why not try the spider? It is weak and all but if it is used the right way it can be very useful at higher levels.

[ October 05, 2002, 16:42: Message edited by: Elementus ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.