1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wizard without a henchman?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by nl255, Jul 29, 2005.

1. nl255 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I was wondering if it would be worth it for a Wizard character to take a henchman or if it would be better to rely on summons and familiars which don't soak up experience (but do affect the CR of encounters because they change the average party level)?

2. erikhk Gems: 2/31

My spellcasters usually don't need either, but if you need a hand from somewhere, i'd go with a henchman until your summons are strong enouth.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's much easier to go along with a henchman; properly equipped they'll always be more powerful than any summons you can get, and not waste any high-level spells slots.

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I agree with Tal.

At higher levels though, I found that my best summon was generally more than powerful enough to handle pretty much anything that I encountered. Heck, half the time I found myself just sitting there while my pet ate every enemy.

Henchmen are certainly useful, but they're not necessary if your mage is powerful enough.

5. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I really can't see, why people would have any probs with Henchmen soaking a bit of exp. You'll get plenty of exp for both you and a henchman throughout the game, and they'll survive longer than any summon (Well, at least in the starting phases of the game). I usually don't bother with summons (besides a nifty trap disarming familiar), as Dealan or Grimgrav, or whichever of the melee orientated henchmen are quite better.

I say 'yay'. Bring a henchman with a wizzy character. There'll be plenty of situations where you'll probably be glad you did (*SPOILER *cough* magic swords in the tomb of Hallueth Never cough*).
    Besides they'll take some focus off of you; and give you some room to throw your spells :) .

p.s. Please excuse my lousy memory. I'll never learn the proper names on any of the henchmen or whatever else. :p

6. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Doesn't summons also steal xp? When my sorc has his Pixie familiar along the xp is always lower and I don't think the Pixie is higher level than the sorc so the average party level should not increase with the Pixie, rather the opposite I'd think.

My experience with NWN is quite limited, only played for a few weeks when it was new and just recently with a sorc which is early in Ch 2.

7. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hmmm. Summons definitely won't since their lvl is based upon the spell you throw (e.g. Summon monster I or II, or other of the higher summoning spells). I'm not quite sure 'bout familiars, but imho I don't think so. Your familiar lvl's up, afaik that is, simultaneously with your own lvl progression; so it wouldn't make any sense if they did.

8. nl255 Gems: 2/31

Summons never soak up experience but they will change the average party level and thus the CR of the encounter. That is why at higher levels you can summon a badger (level 3 creature) and get more experience than going it alone. A henchman supposedly takes away half of the experience you get (50-50 split) though he doesn't affect the average party level much.

I am still not sure whether Daelan or Grimgrav would be better for a Wizard though.

[ July 30, 2005, 19:00: Message edited by: nl255 ]

9. olimikrig

Media:
    I prefer Dealan. He usually survives the longest. In my games he does, anyways. Linu La'neral (Copy + paste :shake: ) would also be quite fine. Heck, I'd even say Sharwyn could stand the distance. Linu as a cleric comes in quite handy, but both she and Sharwyn has poor con. It might prove difficult holding Sharwyn alive if she's required to go melee (Especially 'cus she insists on throwing stupid spells instead of picking up her sword, even though 4 guys are tearing her apart).

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

The henchman actually takes about 1/4 of your XP. You get 75%.

11. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Well I just tried that and your statement is not correct. Perhaps things have changed in a recent patch? I play with patch 1.66 and without expansion packs.

My test was with a Sorc-11 with and without a summoned badger (from Summon Creature I). Killing with the badger resulted in 3 xp while killing without the badger resulted in 4 xp for the same monster.
    Having a familiar appear to have the same effect, i.e. less xp.
    I play without henchmen.

So summons does reduce the number of xp you get, probably regardless of the quality of the summon you use. CR appears to be based solely on your character.

12. nl255 Gems: 2/31

Looks like they did fix it in a recent patch. I just tested it with the Platinum edition with the latest patch and I get 28 for killing an escaped prisoner without help and 22 with the badger.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.