1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Evil vs. Good: Rewards flaw?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Isshy, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Isshy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

*SPOILER*
    .(hope thats enough)
    I am playing a Chaotic Good character. I just started act/chapter 2 and went into the cave. I found the evil (Demon) alter and the Good (Helmite Guardian Armors?) pedastal. I saved and tried all the choices. Freeing the Demon gives SWEET rewards (in gratitude) and 225 experience. I mean they are the best rewards I've seen so far in the game! Banishing him gives me 375 experience and no reward (other than a warm fuzzy). Doing the Helm Pedastal gives me a lowly 50 exp and not even a thank you. I hope the game makes up for this injustice to good aligned characters later on...(or reverses it for evil characters so they get big rewards from activating the Guardians and next to nothing from the Demon) Or if it has some sort of resolution like the guardians help you/neverwinter later or whatever... If the game doesn't resolve this it is quite a flaw IMHO.

PS-I know how to raise my good rating number. How do I raise my chaotic? I tried being a bully once by extorting the +1AC ammy that I found for an NPC but that moved me towards evil and I don't have a taste for that kind of behavior anyway. I also, to my shame, took the dead mages staff to sell for gold in act 1. Seems like I need a situation where the law is unjust and therefore I defy it because I need to do what is morally correct.

2. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

IIRC there's great trouble ahead of you if you're trying to move along the law-chaos axis. I think i do remember there isnt any such thing in the official campaign at all. Nothing to make you more law-abiding of chaotic.

I hope someone can verify this, i'm really not too sure about it.

3. Serpent Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Gothmog is right. There is no way you can shift your alignement towards chaotic or lawful in the OC.

4. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

As I recall there isn't even much for you in SoU or HoU either. I can only think of one instance in SoU, and that one shifts you towards evil as well.
    If you're already chaotic though, there isn't really much reason to worry about it, is there?

5. Bovine_Knight Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Evil characters usually get the short end of the stick when it comes to quest rewards. I suppose the developers felt a bit guilty for always excluding them.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I've never seen anything that alters my chaotic status.

Also, the whole issue of good vs evil rewards really depends on how strictly you roleplay the alignments. In my opinion, if you are good, you would never steal anything from the locked cupboards and chests that are found in all the buildings that are owned by someone else. That would result in you having a lot less cash overall, which should be compensated by the improved XP you get from completing the 'good' quests which no evil person would ever bother doing.

While we're on the topic - there are far too many chests in this game. Who ever heard of world with so mant chests all over the place?

7. Khemsa Gems: 7/31

I think what you are referring to is the Helm's Hold ending of Chapter One and is not Chapter Two. If that is correct then you did something wrong or made the wrong choice. If you banish the demon and summon Helm's Guardian Spirit, it gives good XP and grants one of a number of choices. Among the choices are useless information, an excellent bow, or a great ring. My guess is that you chose the useless information.

8. Isshy Gems: 7/31

Ya I figured it out...I needed the book and got the ring. Thanks.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Perhaps you should consider playing a Chaotic Neutral character, then? While they don't do evil things, Neutrals do good things for good stuff or if they feel particularly obliged. Goodies do good things because they are made that way. ;)

The game dialogue contains options to refuse awards for quests, which give you nothing but Good alignment points, of which you already have a full hundred since early in Chapter 1.

10. Komoda Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Playing a character that is almost always neutral evil, is a bit of a dilemna for my characters. No matter how much evil my character does, or tries to follow the path of doing more evil than the evil NPCs, there is no reward. You would think the evil NPCs would be more helpful and the good NPCs would be less enthusiastic.
    The alignment balance which starts out neutral(50)/evil(50), neutral remains unchanged, while evil slowly diminishes.
    In chapter 2, where an NPC tries to extort 3000 gp out of your character, try the attempt to kill her, your attacks do nothing. Something wrong with the game, if you can't be more evil than the most diabolical or demonic of NPCs.

Being a good character pales in comparison to just being simply evil :D

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Ah, one more thing.

A Lawful character could still do that. Not all laws and commands are sound, not all authorities are legitimate etc. I doubt Mahatma Gandhi would be a Chaotic character and Martin Luther King probably neither. ;) You can get Chaotic points in the expansions, but you get those for going back an a promise and similar actions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.