1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Which campaign is the best?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Tressym, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Tressym Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Which has the best balance between combat and non-combat situations, the most interesting plotline, and the least repetiveness? Which kept you interested for the longest time?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 32 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Which campaign is the best? (32 votes.)

Which campaign is the best? (Choose 1)
    * The original campaign - 19% (6)
    * Shadows of Undrentide - 19% (6)
    * Hordes of the Underdark - 53% (17)
    * A module, which you'll name and link to in this thread - 9% (3)

2. DanSkibo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Voted for Hordes ... I thought Shadows was fine, but I'm having more fun with Hordes ...

3. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

HotU was alot less straight forward then the other two (even if it was still pretty straight forward). You could have different monsters face you in the showdown at the end of chapter two depending on the actions you took, you actually had the semi-balance of an option of allying with the Valsharess in chapter two. The final showdown with Big M is far more complex/interesting then the show down whi Morhag or Hedreline (no idea on the spelling). Also the romances, while not on BG2 levels, where still far, far better then the romances in the OC.

4. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

There are a lot of modules donwloadable from NWNVault.com that are better than every one of the official campaigns: 'Crimson Tides of Tethyr', 'A Hunt through the DarK', 'Comyrean Nights' and others.

5. Tressym Gems: 5/31

Hmm, a game set in Cormyr? Interresting! I pondered when something will come out that's not set along the Sword Coast. Are these modules free?

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Sure they are free. Just head over to the Vault and search for them. Most of them are quite large, though. And they usually need the CEP mod.

As for other good modules not set on the sword coast, try 'An Ancient Heart' I and II, which are set in Damarra, and 'Dragon's Edge' I , a cormyrean mod, also.

'A Hunt through the Dark' lets you play a real drow, by the way. :evil:

7. Tressym Gems: 5/31

What's the CEP mode, and where do i get it?

8. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

CEP is the Community Expansion Pack. It inculdes new creatures, new creature textures, weapons, tilesets and stuff. :)

You can download it via NWNVault.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Browse their hall of fame for modules and persistent worlds. Campaign-wise, I suggest doing them in order unless you're sure you don't want to do one.

HotU probably fills your description the best, but I think the original OC was the most enjoyable to me, but with the reservation that I had the expansions installed and so was able to have the new feats and the like.

10. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    As much as I dislike NWN, I actually found HotU really fun, and obviously the best among the three.
    SoU was weak, and I hold the OC in absolute disdain so it was no competition.

Never tried any of the modules though...

11. Spikes Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I voted for Hordes.

It was really fun. Too bad it was short.

12. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I voted SoU. I found Hordes to be too easy due to all the loot they give you in the campaign. Sure there are some tough fights, but overall I got too bored just slicing my way through *cough* hordes of monsters with my uber, epic, decked-out character.

SoU, due to you starting out at level 1, and never really going overboard with equipment, kept things challenging right up to the final fight.

13. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Hordes for me as well. SoU would have been better if it allowed for more character advancement and longer gameplay. I felt cheated in SoU for not being able to see my character at its full potential. As for Hordes, it wins my vote for the opening music alone.

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Hordes...way better storyline. Note...I'm not saying it had a good storyline...just that it was loads better than the dung that was SoU and the OC.

15. auril Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hordes, no contest.

16. Paine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

HotU was what the NWN OC should have been, IMO. I could be biased because I've always been the biggest Eilistraee fangirl on the planet, but I really, really liked the whole deal with the Seer and the tension between the rebels. And Valen. Mmm, Valen.

Did I mention Valen?

There's exactly one thing that keeps SoU from sucking, and that's Deekin. But there really is no contest. I've taken to calling SoU: "Neverwinter Nights: The Apology" and HotU, "Neverwinter Nights: OMFG, Seriously, WE'RE SORRY."

17. Tressym Gems: 5/31

Fabius:
    Thanks for the pointers! I just finished Cormyrean Nights, which kicked ass. :=D
    An Ancient Heart seemed kinda "fake", though.
    Drgon's Edge can't load, because it is created with a newer version of the program. How do i update my program, then?
    And i see Crimson Tides is the second part of a series. Is the prequel worth playing, then, or would you recommend starting from CToT anyway?
    Also, any other recomendations?

18. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

What is fake about 'An Ancient Heart'? I don't understand.

You can update NWN by clicking the Update-Button in the start menu of the game. The patches should load automatically. It can take a while, so you better have a broadband connection.

'Crimson Tides...' is stand alone. You can play the prequel but it is not required. The prequel is rather old and not very well made.

19. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I would have voted "none of the above" if it was available, but that's because I haven't tried any of the user mods.

The OC was absolutely dreadful (repetitive, predictable plotline, boring, etc etc). SoU was fine, although too linear for my tastes. HotU would be good if it wasn't so ridiculously munchkin (+10 weapons, stats that go into the high 30's, epic prestige classes, and so on).

20. auril Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

hahaha!- how accurate.

and yeah, Deekin and Tymofarr made SoU worthwhile....Valen was, for me, the most attractive (imaginary) NPC ever!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.