1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sarevok and the start movie

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by david w, Apr 6, 2004.

1. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

At the start of BG there is an introductory movie whereby Sarevok is throwing someone off the roof of a building. Any ideas who this is? I get to wondering every time I play the game but have never discovered any clues as to his identity.

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    This is answered later in the game. In sarevoks journal he mentions an old priest of Bhaal he went to for information. I'm guessing this is the bloke he chucks off the roof.
    Also at the beginning of TOB you get a mention that sarevok once interrogated a priest of cyric, though I think this guy is a little less likely.

3. TBurma316 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I always thought he was just another nameless Bhaalspawn

4. david w Gems: 19/31

I wouldn't have said he was a priest. Isn't he wearing chainmail armour?

5. Takara

Media:
    true, but then clerics can wear full plate. Plus a priest of Bhaal is going to be like a priest of tempus: warlike. Though he was a bit of a whinger. Maybe he did worship cyric then?

6. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Doesn't he have some kind of religious marking on his chest? I haven't watched the video in ages, but I remember at the time thinking he was a priest of sorts.

7. Takara

Media:
    It was a gold cross. Since christianity isn't heard of on toril, unless it's spread there too, I'm guessing it has another significance. Still it definately screamed priest.

8. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I was under the impression that that guy was another Bhaalspawn...I vaguely remember reading something in the game that confirmed this, but I can't remember.

I doubt it was a priest of Cyric or Bhaal, since the cross on his chest is definitely not a holy symbol of either of these gods. BUT iirc, there's a certain type of armour (plate mail maybe?) that when worn, shows up with a small cross on the chest...you just have to look carefully at the in-game characters. Again, this is only what I vaguely remember from several years ago, so bear with me.

9. Takara

Media:
    The journal enrty stated... "the priest of Bhaal I confronted gave me nothing. He was old and weak and died quickly in my grasp." Obviously this is open to interpretation. The journal entry is for example before the one stating that Reiltir had aquired the building in Baldur's gate. As for reference to him being just a Bhaal child, I don't recall. I guess this will be one of those questions only the programmers will be able to solve definitively.

10. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Maybe it was Scarface, or whatever the name of the chief inspector who was murdered?

11. Trminator Gems: 3/31

Veteran

I was also pretty sure he killed a Bhaalspawn. Remember, as the man crawls on the ground, he says: "There are others.. I can show you.. Please!" I believe he means that he knows the wereabouts of other Bhaalspawn, and if Sarevok let him live, he would tell him were they would be.. Sarevok also says: "I will be the last! And you will go first.." By saying this, doesn't Sarevok mean that the man will be the first Bhaalspawn to die, while he will be the last?

12. Takara

Media:
    That is a good point. Still, a child of Bhaal would make a good priest to his daddy. (You can see i'm not giving up on this easily)

13. Trminator Gems: 3/31

Veteran

Hey, perhaps it was a cleric with Bhaal's taint in himself? That would explain the armor AND the dialogue.. :)

14. Rubel Gems: 3/31

I remember my first impression way back when. I thought he was some sort of Paladin. Later on, it seemed like he was a Harper, maybe a weak ally of Gorion et. al. -- that's why Sarevok's next action was to move against you and Gorion.

I like the Bhallspawn idea, though.

15. Lacessit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I personally (although I'm still wrestling through the original BG, can't seem to get past chapter four :almostmad: ) always just 'assumed' the guy was another Bhaal-spawn. He seems too young to be a real cleric of either Bhaal or Cyric somehow...

16. david w Gems: 19/31

As Sarevok throws him off the roof in the city of Baldur's Gate (I assume it's there anyway), it just might be that the guy is just some city guard who fell foul of your evil brother and got wiped out.

But I think the Bhaalspawn idea is a more interesting one.

17. Sarevok 435 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I am betting on a Bhaal Spawn

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.