1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is the most busted character build?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by egervari, May 3, 2005.

1. egervari Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

What is the most busted character build? What I mean is, what build is so sickingly powerful that the developers did not intend for it to be so unbalanced. Just curious. I'll probably never get the chance to play it just to try it out, but I'm interested in these sort of things.

2. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Using basic classes, the Red Mage is one of the most powerful.

If you don't have a BW account, that's a Wiz23/Cleric17 with level 9 arcane/divine spells and Devastating Critical, and Epic Warding :D

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I thought that there was a cheesey Red Dragon Disciple build that was mostly fighter but had one level of Bard just to give access to RDD. Combining the warrior fighting skills with all the RDD fighting bonuses (which are really designed to enhance a spellcaster's fighting ability) creates what some call the ultimate melee character.

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

From nonepic builds - Monk1/Cleric19. Insane spell power, insane AC.

Epic builds... I'd guess Cleric19/Bard11/RDD10. Devastating Critical, decent Bard Song, all cleric spells.

This is for the original campaign and SoU and HotU. For multiplayer worlds there is no single "uber build".

5. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Blue Emu's Half Orc Battle Bard: Fighter 6 / Bard 4 / Red Dragon Disciple 10, Split levels between fighter and Bard in Epic levels. The STR on this character is amazing. Give him a good 2-handed sword and he will cleave through anything.

Because of a bug in the game engine, a Fighter 4 / Monk 16+ dual wielding Kamas has an unholy number of attacks.

The Exalted Sorceress, Paladin 1 / Monk 1 / Sorcerer X is simple but awesome. Using the Auto Still Spell feats, this character wears full plate armor and carries a tower shield for an amazing AC.

A Wizard X / Shadowdancer 4 / Palemaster 4 gives a powerful spell caster who can cast, HiPS, move, rinse and repeat until everything is dead and hasn't even gotten a chance to attack you.

The Dragon Kin, a Monk 1 / Wizard X / Druid 12(?), is a pretty good spellcaster who can shapechange into a Dragon!

If one has the PRC installed, there is a Red Wizard build which has necromancy spell DC's so insanely high that his spells become, effectively, no saving throw, no spell resistance, instant death.

Also, if you have the PRC, a Wizard 5 / Cleric 5 / Mystic Theurge 30 (combined with two Practiced Spellcaster feats) will cast spells as a 39th level Wizard and a 39th level Cleric!

These are some powerful builds. Whether any are broken or not is a matter of personal taste I will leave with the reader.

6. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I like my Monk 9/Fighter 6/WM 25 (Monk 4/Ftr 6/WM 10, at lvl 20 for a BAB=19). He not only has the "unholy number of attacks", but he has a high AB, threatens a crit every forth swing (with keen kamas), does triple damage on his crits, has decent saves, Monk speed, Improved Evasion, Improved Knockdown, and permanent 30% concealment.

7. Bovine_Knight Gems: 2/31

If you have the PrC, then a Yuan-Ti or Illithid Wizard/Cleric/Mystic Theurge is the absolute zenith of spelldeath. However, an Illithid Wizard/(Archmage or Red Wizard)/Lich is, in my opinion, even more fearsome. However, due to a bug in the character creator, wizards have their ability to choose a familiar removed and cannot be created. A good secondary choice is a Rakshasa Sorcerer/Red Wizard/Lich. 30/+20 DR, Immunity to Critical Hits and Instant Death Spells/Effects and Immunity to Spells Level 9 and Lower, as well as +12 to all your primary casting abilities and Lich Properties makes your caster virtually unkillable on a battlefield. Coupled with Practised Spellcaster (Wizard) and Epic Spell Penetration, you'll be nearly as potent as any magus in a mage duel and infinitely more resilient.

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Umm, What is PRC? I just got the Platinum edition at Christmas time and have to travel to make Downloads possible...

9. Khemsa Gems: 7/31

The PRC is a hakpack designed to enrich the game by introducing races, base classes, prestige classes, and spells from the PnP game that are not otherwise in NWN. The PRC also revises the Epic Spellcasting system to make it comport with the PnP version rather than the way Bio implemented it.

The PRC can be found at:

http://nwnprc.netgamers.co.uk/index.html

Bovine Knight,

The Lich from the PRC is seriously broken. Combining a Lich with an Illithid Red Wizard would be frighteningly powerful. However, I would add one caveat to your post, I do not believe that the PRC folks have yet found a way around Bio's failure to give Sorcerer's additional spells known when they take a prestige class. Right now, any spell casting prestige class is really only useful to a Wizard.

10. Bovine_Knight Gems: 2/31

The Dragon Kin isin't all it's cracked up to be. Only Twenty-Three levels into Wizard at level fourty means that any 30s+ Arcane caster can Mordenkainen's Disjunction you and then slaughter you with Time Stop/IGMS. Also, it requires fourteen Druid levels to attain Dragon Shape, not twelve.

If you ever play in a PW where Time Stop is nerfed and IGMS limited, then a Paladin 20/Bard 4/Pale Master 16 can have some 65 AB and 80+ AC, as well as Critical Immunity and Devastating Critical. The problem with that build is, of course, mages with Mordenkainen's Disjunction. Still, there's no way to dispel Devastating Criticals...but if you want more effective Devastating Criticals, go with Paladin 23/Bard 2/ Red Dragon Disciple 15. You'll have less AC, but a ~50 DC Devastating Critical.

Traditionally, the most powerful characters in D&D are high-level arcane casters. Bioware augmented them even further with spells such as Epic Warding, Mestil's Acid Sheath, and the loathed Time Stop. There are very few builds that can topple an un-nerfed 40th level mage, though perhaps Dragon Kin can if it survives the first Mords + Time Stop + IGMS...

11. Khemsa Gems: 7/31

Bovine Knight wrote:

"The Dragon Kin isin't all it's cracked up to be. Only Twenty-Three levels into Wizard at level fourty means that any 30s+ Arcane caster can Mordenkainen's Disjunction you and then slaughter you with Time Stop/IGMS. Also, it requires fourteen Druid levels to attain Dragon Shape, not twelve."

I had asked the creator of Dragon Kin on the Bio boards about the Druid levels. He assured me that 12 levels is enough and that the manual is wrong when it says that 14 levels is required. Since the manual is so wrong so often, I just took his word for it. I should probably just do a quick build of the Dragon Kin to see if he is right or not.

12. Bovine_Knight Gems: 2/31

At the BoW forums (where some of the most talented builders post their creations), the absolute minimum level of Druid levels incorporated in any dragon build I've ever seen is fourteen. The manual says you need eighteen - Wildshape 6x/day, but you really only need 14 - Wildshape 5x/day.

Regardless, a twenty-second level wizard would get nailed by a 40th level wizard's Mords, and then all his nice buffs would be gone. Besides, that build's AB is pretty pitiful as well - a dev. critting Paladin/Bard/RDD could probably take it out without being struck once - especially if the dragon had been dispelled beforehand. And, of course, said build stands no chance at all against an Illithid Wizard/Red Wizard/Lich.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.