1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Fashion Over Usefulness

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Syrel, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Syrel Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] i'm guessing they just got lazy and didn't want to program in the graphix for skirts/robes and such :p

2. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

They said robes/dresses/visable cloaks were a no go because of problems with how they looked when the characters were moving. Something about limbs moving through them instead of the fabric moving with them. I'm baffeled the graphics could be that limited, but I did here a proposed idea that sounded reasonable. Why not just let robes replace the limbs when the character wears mage or other types of robes? I know you can create charactes without body parts (i.e. limbs, head, neck), so hopefully something like this could be implimented in the future if creating flowing robes are really that hard using Auora.

[ July 31, 2002, 06:58: Message edited by: Crawl ]

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Hmm, the poll is interesting.... 8-7.

I chose for the cool looks, though I play between both options, Cool looks are important but better equipment also. My Ranger doesn't wear helmets because it looks stupid, however when I get a real good helmet, I may reconsider.

4. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    [​IMG]
    That's correct Gnolyn, purple Toga's and pink/orange striped mini-skirts (as seen on the catwalk at Ophala's) are going to be what you'll see this summer in Neverwinter. So get your barbarian that outfit he's dreaming of and kick some ass in a stylish way. ;)

[ July 31, 2002, 11:39: Message edited by: Uytuun ]

5. Drunken Monk Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I totally agree that 'skirts' and long robes should have been implemented. Cloaks over clothing (accept on armour) would be asking for alot but man would it look cool! Talking about looks over versatility I go for the middle road. Not the flashiest thing but no drab clothing either. But ofcourse my Pally must be humble and wear the more effective items out there ;)
    Has anyone put on Neverwinters armour, that looks awesome with all the spikes comming out of it. Almost reminds me of Sarevok's armour in BG1! Not the most effective but probably the best looking armour I've seen. Try it for yourself!

6. Syrel Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] looks like it is fairly split between looking cool over mashing power :)

7. SC Gems: 23/31

I can see in real life who people may want to look good so they only choose some outfits, but in NWN...? I don't care how much character looks. It's a matter of building up AC, killing monsters, and getting more hp. I will not risk looks when a moutain giant is about to chop off Tomi's head. (Sigh)

8. Syrel Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] i will risk ac and dmg even when fighting a dragon just to look good :)
    example
    fighting a monster that has death magic without a helm even though i have a helm in my inventory that makes me immune to death magic :)
    all the helms in NWN just look stupid on a ranger with light armor. or a thief or any other char that wears light armor.. all the helms are look suited for heavy armor combat :p

9. OKHouse Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have a sorcerer with 14 strength thanks to a belt of fire giant strength. Even though it's basically useless (and too heavy) because of 40% arcane failure, I carry around the rainbow armor in my pack. It is so incredibly gaudy I put it on for a laugh when I'm just hanging in the taverns. I really don't like the mask of persuasion even though it is necessary for extra charisma. Why does hiding your face make you more charismatic? Are we that ugly?

10. Elementus Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] Heh, at first, I made my Wizard, he looked awsome. An Elf in the thief clothing, with the head that has a pony tale, he had white hair, and his cross bow, it looked awsome. It made it better when he got the Robe of Fire Resistance (I agree on the flowing robes need to be made thingy) After a while, I got a stag helm, and I swear it was one of the most pathetic and retarded things I have ever seen. An Elven Wizard in a Wizard Robe running around with a stag helmet and crossbow...it was...sad....

[ August 08, 2002, 16:09: Message edited by: Elementus ]

11. Sick curtaiN Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I totally agree with the fashion bit! :D My female fighter looked really sexy with the Armor of the wolf in chap two and i've been wearing it since! Armors don't really go for me!

12. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Well, I think The Robes of the Shining Hand look quite good on my female halfling Monk. The head is the one with the hood and the veil... Looks totally killer...

13. The Grim Rippor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I'd go for looks, especially in DM mode and multiplayer. I mean, you're bound to be mocked if you enter a room going: Hey there, Like my armor? It's got 20 AC ect ect" While all the other people are giggling madly at the fact that your super hard warrior is wearing a pink outfit with no shins or leggings on it.

14. SC Gems: 23/31

Heh, still even, if you just get used to the armor your character wears, why bother going for less when you can get more? My elven ranger(yes ranger) looks quite good in my Shadow Legion armor and my thayiett helmet.

15. shadows Gems: 4/31

ok i only use armor tht looks the best not only do i do tht but i colr code. it if i got a hella nice green helm and a hella nice red armor shuit im not going to used one of them instead ill do anything to get another red helm or green suit. tht is how devoted i am. i got a all green suit for my druid. down to the green gladiators blades. and he looks gooood i must say. with a nice helm tht not to big but more close fitting but still gives a dragon impreson. yes i am very conses about my guys looks. i even name all my people the same. they all named SERIL

16. Tethis Gems: 1/31

For my monk, who lots of stealth bonuses, i have custom made some black equipment so now looks like an assassin, he looked rubbish in the standard monk clothes, so had to be done

17. Daddys Little Madman Gems: 1/31

I find that a balance between the two is neccessary. Because the games in mention are in fact role playing games, appearance is important to the role. Im not going to have my chaotic evil fighter wearing superior armor white in colour when he could be wearing black and red armor instead. But, there is a limit to how far I will go. After all, Im not going to let a goblin kill him either.

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I choose looks!

Too bad there are no priest-robes.
    I'd like a Breastplate of Judgement (Exodus 28) and a Priest Hood (priesthood, huhuh) for my avatar <--

19. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I am roleplaying this time so i'll go purely for estethic look :holy: Going with a druid :D

20. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I saw some armor in a custom mod that looks like a bikini. It actually has a chest and stomach graphic and this teeny little bikini below that.
    It looks hilarious when I put it on my dwarf....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.