1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help - Transferring multiplayer characters

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Silvara, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Silvara Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ok I'm a newbie to NWN, been playing it since ermm about Sunday :)

Last night I thought I would play around with multiplayer a bit and came
    across a few things that ether dont work or I'm confused about how they
    work.

It's mainly about legal (server vaulted) characters. How does this work? I
    thought you could create a legal character, play it for a while on a server
    then save it, then move over to a different server with the same character.
    I could not find anyway at all to do this. It seems to me that they
    characters stay local to the server you have played on and you cannot
    transfer "legal" characters from server to server.

Is this possible? If so can anyone explain how?

If not, it's bad news I think, every time you want to play on a new server/module you have have to start from scratch??

Thanks very much.
    /a very confused NWN player :)

2. Izlude120 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I dont have neverwinter nights yet but i may help a little. Ive read up on multiplayer about 4 months ago so ill say all i can. And if im wrong plz someone correct me. First off i think it is up to the server if you can bring in characters or have to keep the same one in that server. Mainly because to many people cheat and most servers want a fresh safe character in the game. I think the server decides so i dont know. I hope i helped a little.

YAY my Mom is going to bring me to bestbuy tonite. Ill finally get NWN!

3. Silvara Gems: 1/31

Yea, as far as I understand it as well is that you can only transfer "illegal" characters which are stored locally on your own system.

If you want a legal character you have to stored it on that server but this only allows you to play that one character on that server, if you want to move you have to ether save it locally (illegal character again) or start again from scratch on the new server.

This is not what I expected.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Silvara, you're right in your assumptions. The official server vault has been dropped before the release. Though AFAIK, unless you play custom modules on custom servers, you're able to use one character continuously, as long as you play the official campaign online.

5. Silvara Gems: 1/31

Thanks for the reply.

Thats a real down side to the game then.

Grrr not happy now, hehe.

So you happen to know if or when they may re-introduce this feature?

Thanks

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Probably never. If they took it out prior to release it means they've abandoned the idea completely, preferring to give power over the characters to every person running the server.

7. Silvara Gems: 1/31

Yea its seam's that way.

I was playing around with local stored characters last night. You can transfer them from server to server but you can also hack them to death and create an ubber character.

The one reason I wanted to play a legal character is that you cant hack them, they have to be raised from scratch. I personally think it's a very bad idea not having a central master server.

Plus I did not find one good server last night. All laggy as hell (even with a ping of 40) and lacking greatly in play ability.

Multiplayer is beginning to look worse and worse in this game. I hope they try and improve it because I had big hopes for this.

Anyway better go do some work :)

8. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] ALFA is planning on having its own character vault, so a legal character stored there can play on any of the 90 ALFA servers.

9. Silvara Gems: 1/31

Sorry for sounding a bit thick but whats

ALFA and AFIAK?

Thanks

10. Magnus Magicus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

ALFA (A Land Far Away) is a persistant world project trying to recreate as much as possible from the Forgotten Realms. Check their site at http://www.alandfaraway.net.

AFAIK = As Far As I Know. I didn't knew this one myself either, but it was first hit on Google.com...

11. Silvara Gems: 1/31

Ahh I see thanks :)

Did not fancy searching for ether of them at work, you know with all them dodgy sites knocking about you dont know what you might pull up, hehe.

Thanks anyway, off to check it out now.

----------------
    Edit: Ahh read the site now, looks like a very good idea. Its the sort of thing I was hoping that NWN would be.

It's a shame that there not taking on any new members at the moment. Does anyone else know of similar any groups doing this sort of thing? I would be interested to know.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.

[This message has been edited by Silvara (edited July 03, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.