1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate 3?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by zaknafein, Oct 30, 2001.

1. zaknafein Guest

2. Smoothbrain Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] BG3 is only on PS2 :aww:

I think NWN is an all new cast of characters and settings.

[This message has been edited by Smoothbrain (edited October 30, 2001).]

3. Lady of the Lake Gems: 1/31

Are you refering to Neverwinter Nights? It's many things but definitaly NOT BG3. The BG series is over for good. But NWN will be much better.

Ooops, came second ;)

[This message has been edited by Lady of the Lake (edited October 30, 2001).]

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Smoothbrain, that's not BG3. That's Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and has nothing at all to do with the BG games we've played on the PC.

5. zaknafein Guest

but it says that you can import your bg2 charactor into it. i wouldnt expect that if it wasnt bg3

6. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, you *can* import your BG character in a sense. But that is really just marketing BS. You would have to completely reconstruct the character based on some sort of conversion application.

NWN is a 3e game, while BG uses 2e. The differences are enormous. The stat scale, the proficiency system, spell charts, multiclassing mechanism, level cap, etc are all substantially different.

I don't think there would be much meaningful resemblance between the BG character and the NWN one.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You also lose all the experience your "imported" character has since NWN is a new game for characters starting at level 1. You'd probably be better off not bothering.

8. Pentathol Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Actually WoTC has an conversion manual on their site for converting 2nd edition characters to 3rd ed characters. I converted an 8th level bard from an old campaign and was pleasantly suprised at how good he came out in 3rd edition rules. And how closely he resembles my original concept. If NWN builds something like this then importing the character would be a breeze, at least concept wise. I'm sure you can kiss your staff of magnus and your holy avenger away. :)

9. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

The conversion from BG2 to NWN will be in spirit only. The experience and inventory will be gone, and all that will remain is....
    The name.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited November 02, 2001).]

10. Snorri Guest

....Nothing, your character will be once again lvl1 fighting off goblins like Parn in Record of the Lodoss war:).
    But atleast you can call them the same, until some smart person steals ur origional name, or wotn even let you play your character in their world, cus they dont understand how long a certain character has had that name, passed from generation to generation.

11. zaknafein Guest

and the generation after that.
    level one damn thats gonna be hard. getting my arse kicked by kobold like in nashkel. then again my sister got up to chapter 5 in bg1 on level one

12. scimitar Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Maybe BG is death, but NWN will be great.

The king is death, long live the king

13. Snorri Guest

I got bord of the BGs not enough scope, just follow what your character is told to do, but NWN will be so much cooler.
    i mean BG1 i was lvl 7 when i completed the game.
    Just imagine if i had a full party, it gets to slow.

14. Sir_Fatadder Gems: 1/31

i have played the demo of the PS2 version of baulders gate and it was a real disapointment.
    I still think its a shame that there will b no BG3 as Neverwinter Nights sounds like it has to much focus on the Online side of the game, id prefer a much longer single player game with the online side as an extra

15. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Fortunately, NWN promises a very strong single player storyline, and I myself am inclined to believe them. Bioware hasn't made very many empty promises in the past, and I think it will be fun. However, I myself feel that they are making a mistake that might turn off some gamers. It's clear that alot of people who play RPG's of this type want to play the game in single player mode. Where I feel Bioware could be making a mistake is allowing only for a solo adventure in the single player campaign. This I continue to find disapointing, as I for one just don't care to play solo through a game. I much prefer a party that will hopefully balance out the imbalances of a character (and with only 25 points to spread around, there will be quite a few I'm sure). I just wish they would have made a way somehow to create more than one character if you are playing by yourself, but then without a pause and play feature, it would have been a complete mess regardless. Perhaps I'm wanting too much, but somehow I think in the end, this will disapoint at least some of their audience. And I can't remember being disapointed by a Bioware CRPG yet. Let's hope I'm not disapointed this time around.

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited November 05, 2001).]

16. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

Well, I seem to recall reading somewhere that in Single Player mode its easier for the character to recruit NPC allies and henchmen. They won't be player controlled, but they will be along for the ride.

I'm pretty sure they will have a worthwhile single player mode, though, since they would be seriously hurting themselves financially if they don't. In theory, you can also download fan designed scenarios to play as well.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm with you Crawl. One of the things I despised about Ultima VIII was the lack of a party, and if the henchmen are anything like the followers in Arcanum, I know I'll be disappointed. That *&%$! Magnus won't use the weapon I want him to unless I treat him like a child and take away all his other playthings. Which is better Magnus a sword with a speed that lets you attack 5 times per round, an axe that does a couple of points more damage, but you can only swing once, or a pistol that you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with? Not the sword eh? Great choice there Magnus... :rolleyes:

18. I agree with you BTA. I gave Perriman Smythe some weapon I can't remember and another weapon that randomly summons undead. The other weapon was clearly stronger but that stupid guy keeps using that stupid random-undead-summoning-thingie. And don't let me start on Virgil. I gave him a pretty good longsword and a Magick Great Sword which he isn't strong enough to use and he goes and uses it. And what happens? Instead of bashing enemies, he's bashing the until he faints. Gawd, the AI is stoopid. At least he resurrects me...

But I thought Ultima VIII was great. FINALLY you could jump, and at least there's no Lord British cameo. One thing I hate is that you can't rotate the camera. Once I accidently placed the teleportation stone behind a wall and I lost it forever. Worse still, my last save was waaaay before that.

[This message has been edited by RythmicBarbarian (edited November 06, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.