1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sturdy Littlepeople

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Nobleman, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I Have a Gnome barbarian who started of with 20 con and toughness. Now the story of attaining the nickname "Brick" took form as I found a pair of boots giving +5 to con. At level twenty he could have 25 in base constitution and with the Barbarian rage He'll get an additional 4 to con. All in all when enraged 34 in Con, or +12 HP per level. With his 13 HP per level from Barbarian and Toughness, he'll reach a whopping 500 HP on the normal difficulty. Please let me know if there are more ways to improve HP, or if there is something wrong in this calculation. I am all eager. :)

[ October 12, 2002, 22:01: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Tough little B****d that one!

I'm not sure how the HP calculates, but I expect he's got time for a fag break in the middle of Dragon fights without worrying too much :grin:

3. schteen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

:eek: whoa!
    i thought my barb with 350 hp was a lot!
    and he was like 5 feet taller :D

4. Louthor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Jesus thats a tough little s**t! However what about his other stats? surely they must have suffered a massive amount to get such a high constitiution

5. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You could use Grimgnaw's amulet. If you do all his quests it ends up with +4 to Con and some spell resistance.

6. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] (Is it just me, or have we been overrun by Turquoise gem's lately?)

Hmmm.. Noble that sounds like one tough gnome, none that i'd try to out-bash in a fight!
    Extra CON? Apart from item's that increase con, I can't think of any. IIRC there's a Rogue feat (lev 10) that gives you extra Hp, or is it save's? I don't know.

Regardless, I think he has plenty allready! :D

7. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Sorry to break your bubble the max hp your character can get is 461. the reason for this is that you cannot raise a stat more than 10, than what is normally is. So the max one stat can be is 35.

So in summary a character with toughness and 35 con, has a max hp of 461.

8. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

is this permanent HP or temporary? if permanent read below, otherwise, disregard the next paragraph and let me know.

is the 461 HP computed with 35 CON at first level? because i think one should already be at least level 15 or so to be able to accumulate that much constitution. a +5 boots must be in at least chapter 3 (by that time you should already be level 15 or so). also, if i'm not mistaken, there is no max HP during level up option (HP is based on the roll of the die starting at level 4 - normal difficulty). also, the 35 CON reached there because of rage. will we be able to get extra permanent points when "raged" during leveling up? so i can't see how we can achive that much HP.

don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to prove that it cannot be done but rather i want to know how it was computed and exactly how it is done. i might want to make a mage with that much of HP. :) :D :grin:

[ November 11, 2002, 11:51: Message edited by: nior ]

9. Thorin Gems: 9/31

461 hp is calculated at 20th level with the thoughness feat. without the feat the char hp would be at 441.

there is no point in getting 35 con, as 34 con gives you the same hp. so to get 34 hep you need to have 24 natural points invested in con

which means you need to start with at least 20 points in con. than you can use these items and abilites to increase your con further

+5 from skill points from leveling up
    +5 from boots
    +4 from necklace from Grimgnaw's

The reason you need to invest so many skill points is that nwn only allows you to increase your abilities by 10 over your natural level. so if you have 8 con and never invest a skill point in it, when leveling up. The max con you could ever achieve is 18.

Hope this helps everybody

10. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but I still get 500.

Barbarians get 1d12 HP per level which works out to a max of 240 at level 20 with no CON bonuses. CON of 34, however you go about getting it, gives a +12 bonus which translates into another 240 HP by level 20, bringing the total to 480. Now add in the toughness feat for another 20 HP and we've hit 500.

11. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I've actually tested this with a dwarven Barbarian with full Con(25), Boots of Striding, toughness and Greater Rage activated at level 20 and he had 500 HP.

12. Thorin Gems: 9/31

I created several characters with 25 con using the advanced halls of training. Now when loaded up to get 34 con the characters do not get 500hp, but somewhere in the range from 400 to 461.

Am i getting low hp, becuase i am using a leveling module, or is there something i am missing?

13. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

To get the 500, you have to get the max on every level up. What I guess keeps you from getting to 500 is the level-ups where your constitution bonus increases.

For example, CON scores of 20 and 21 give a +5 bonus. Hence, for levels 1 through 7, a barbarian can gain up to 18 HP per level (1d12 +5 from CON bonus +1 from Toughness feat). Starting with a CON of 20, it will increase to 21 at level 4 and to 22 at level 8.

At this point, the bonus changes. Because the bonuses are retroactive, the max HP gain at level 8 becomes 26 (1d12 +6 from CON bonus +1 from toughness plus 7 HP retroactive from the +1 bonus increase for levels 1 through 7). This same scenario will play out at level 16 when the bonus jumps to +7.

Doing it this way - admittedly quite cheesy - will get you to 500.

[afterthought]
    Nior, sorry to burst your bubble but with only 1d4 HP per level, your mage will max out at 340. Still a whopping amount for a spellcaster though.
    [/afterthought]

[ November 12, 2002, 06:31: Message edited by: JohnnyRTFM ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.