1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rants for those who have beat the game. (Major spoilers to be posted here)

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Shura, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] After three days of non-stop playing, I have beat HOTU with a fighter/weapon master.

It was an awesome, if rather short experience. The third official campaign is by far the best in the NWN series. I have never had such an exhilarating RPG experience since BG2 and PS:T. The older games are still better, but HOTU is way ahead of the Original Campaign and SOU in terms of story, atmosphere, and gameplay.

Yes, there are major problems here and there in the plot, and a few illogical and heavy-handed instances of choice rail-roading, but the atmosphere is so intense that it is hardly noticeable. The first two chapters were fun dungeon romps but it was the third chapter that brought shivers down my spine. It was like reliving PS:T to a small extent. Yes, that is how good HOTU is. It can never compare to the likes of BG2 or PS:T but it is a magnificent game nevertheless.

I applaud thee, development/production team of HOTU. You have certainly outdone yourselves this time. I have never felt so awed by an RPG like this in years.

2. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Thank you, Shura.

I am going to buy the game now. This is exactly what I have been waiting to hear.

3. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I just wish that it was longer. It could have been expanded so much more. I want it so bad that if I knew anything about the toolset, and was creative in any way, I would do it my ****ing self. Lol, I agree, great game.

4. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

The end battle was perhaps a little anticlimactic (and buggy - if you knock him down and do enough damage the terrain changes as usual but he stays - then a second one appears). He uses few special abilities. That said, I enjoyed the game immensely. I admit I got bored in the first dungeon, but in chapter 2, the freedom and enjoyment increase. Couldn't stop playing it for many hours straight. :)

5. the bum Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

i am rather annoyed at it's multiplayer issues that never cease to be the bane of my existance. its been nicknamed NWN: Hordes of the UberGlytch! by my house. with that said. it is still a great game. I have loved every single nasty trick they pulled on me. and boy do they fight dirty sometimes. taking my swords away was the most entertaining one that i can recall right now.

6. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

SPOILERS of course

I really liked the fact that if you know Mephy's True Name you can command him to do stuff, pity that the option to open an inn and have Mephistopheles be a chambermaid wasn't in (it is in the toolset, they even have a soundfile for it)

7. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I really wish NWN was this good when it was originally released.

The second and third chapter of this game were just phenomenal, and like others have said, I was definately getting a "Planescape: Torment" feel out of it (even in the second chapter).

I could have done without the first chapter, which in my opinion was pretty much garbage.

My only criticism (other than an awful first chapter) is that the gear is too good. +8 stuff is just oozing out of the seams of this game, constantly. Running around with a couple of +10 swords with multiple effects on each was fun, but it was *very* easy.

In any case, definately one of the best rpgs I've played.

8. Sterntiger Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I quite enjoyed it. The first campaign left a lot to be desired, but the second and third campaigns were rather good.

I played through with a Neutral Evil Fighter/Weapon Master. I did feel that the evil path left a bit to be desired, the last expansion was obviously intended for good aligned characters.

9. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Much better than the previous two (although that's not exactly hard to do). Much better antagonist in HOtU, Mephistopheles just blows Morag and the Medussa away (kind of shows you what an impact she had on me... can't even remember her name). Unfortunately the voice acting wasn't nearly as good as anything else Bioware has released. I found the Valsharess almost humorous and that just ruined a good part of the first 2 chapters for me. But the plot is quite good and I'll definitely play through it again.
    Just one major complaint. Once again Sharwyn turns up in a campaign and once again they refuse to let me romance her. It's like some twisted cat and mouse game Bioware has with me.

10. Observer Gems: 1/31

@Jesper: How did you get Meph's true name? Knower of Names wouldn't tell me.

11. Mortifer Gems: 1/31

If you know Name's true name, you can force her to tell you for 500 grand.

This opens up a bunch of possible different ending for our hero dependng on what you tell Meph you wanna do, such as rule with him, stop him, or rule over him.

12. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Just beat the game some minutes ago with a Lawful Good Elven Monk (started as Lawful Neutral). Apparantly they've put another team then that of BGII on the romances since now you can succesfully complete two of them (I think, the text at the end said of both Nathyrra and Aribeth I was their one true love :p :D ).
    Aaaahh, the feeling of leaving the prime material again. I really love traveling the planes (Ooo sweet PS:T memories). Maybe the next campaign should play in the planes instead of on the prime material.

13. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] An excellent idea!

What better place for a Epic character than out there in the planes smacking down Solars or Balors by the dozen?

*Hopes that a very well made Epic module will be released on NWN vaults soon*

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.