1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ALFA query

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Erran, Feb 8, 2001.

1. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Some players are thinking that the mortality rate during the first few weeks is liable to be pretty high, as players & DMs get the hang of the rules, interface and game balance. So, they are thinking they won't play their 'main' character - the one they have put all their creativity into working out the background - right out of the chute. Instead, they will play a couple of 'cannon fodder' types first. I'm curious, how many here are thinking that way?

2. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

So how does the application cover that? Isn't the ratio 1 player:1 character? Will a player have to reapply with a new character, or will he simply be allowed to submit a new one as a previously-qualified player?

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I wasn't sure I was going to get NWN, but after reading all the posts about it, I really want to play in a campaign! It sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun!

Do you have to apply to get into a particular game? I think I'd enjoy playing with people on this board...Even though Shura will try to kill my paladin at every turn!

I played Ultima Online for a while when it first came out...But quickly tired of being pk'd all the time...The times you could "do" anything without being harrassed was either really late at night, or very early in the morning.

4. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] To Darien: My understanding (and Syl will correct me if I am wrong) is that you play 1 character at a time. If your character dies, (and is not resurrected) you re-roll a new one, which can be completely different from your previous. As a player, you do not have to reapply. As a character, you have to roleplay yourself back into any guild or situation you want to play in.
    The background you write in your App. is primarily there to see if you can roleplay, I think they throw them away after reading them.

To Sir Bel: Lots of us would like to play alongside the friends we've made on these boards. That's why we formed AORTA. We'll even get to play alongside the famous Sorcerer himself! The mages and bards need some mighty warriors up front, so check out www.sorcerers.net/Games/NWN/aorta if you haven't already.
    The good thing about ALFA is that there will be no PKing out of context, i.e you have to have a good roleplaying reason for PvP, not just "I didn't like his alignment" Most players will be too busy working out their own destiny to be bothered terminating yours.

5. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    That's a good thing...I was wondering whether or not I'd have to walk backwards if I played a paladin :) ;) :D

6. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Thank you, Erran!

7. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Erran - I tried to jump to the link you posted, but it didn't connect...SHould I try again later?

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  9. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] You are just the helping hand today, Aren't you! The link works fine! Thanks again!

I'll buy you a beer the next time I see you in the Friendly Arm! :D

~Bel

10. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] In reference to the original question, I going to put a few hours into NWN offline before I go on to ALFA. I want to make sure I have the interface and rules down before I put my character neck on the line. But if I die... that just the game. I will most likely lay low for a bit to see how things on ALFa are going no need to tempt fate.

11. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'll be playing my main character right away on ALFA. Of course, I already have a couple of others on the backburner for when and if my dwarf dies. However, I knew the likelihood of death when I applied so I used a character I was already familiar with, ie I already knew his background and had played him in a campaign. That way, even if he dies in ALFA, I still have the original character and campaign I started with (from actual P&P).

Of course, I don't *want* him to die but such is life ;)

12. Duskai Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

i don't have enough imagination for more than one character...only kiddin, i think i'll be in there from the off though, it's not like we get a practice go at real life (unless you listen to those thoughtful dudes up them mountains in the orange sheets)
    besides i think it'll be more exciting and i'll try harder to learn how to survive :)

13. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Sorry Bel, I won't be playing the game. In a few months time, I will be at an army camp on a island off Singapore's coast for the next 2 and a half years.
    Damn. Can't get to hack you into canned food.
    :D :D

14. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Mithril: Do you play male characters often? :D Or was the "him" just a common reference?

Amon-Ra

15. Darkmoon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I will probably be playing my main character right off the bat. I will just be REAL careful until everyone gets the hang of it, dms and player alike. Of coarse, I do plan on playing the single player version before I start online, but ALFA will probably not be up right away anyhow since the dms will need time to create their segment of the realms.

16. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hehe Yeah I do play a lot of male characters but I also play lots of female characters.

This particular dwarf happens to be male ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.