1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NWN is a bad game

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Z-Layrex, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, if you bothered to get Disarm Traps yourself, you wouldn't have to coax your NPC to do it. :D

They put so many locks and traps in because one of the things rogues do in particular is deal with locks and traps. There was a fair amount of comment in BG2 about how you really didn't need a thief at all because the locks and traps were so sparse (especially after Spellhold). Different people have different levels of tolerance for that sort of thing. Its a bit awkward in single play because you can't directly control your henchman. Its not a problem in multiplay, IMHO.

Of course, you should find the keys to most of those locks on the guy you just murdered. :p

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You actually don't have to open most boxes if you aren't so inclined. Any main storyline quest object will either find you, or you will know which box it's in. Near the end of chapter 3 I stopped opening any box that Tomi couldn't disarm, because I had everything I wanted, and over 900,000 gp. In chapter 4, that was almost every chest I came across :)

3. Actually, I liked the idea that you couldn't control your henceman. It gave it a little more personality (if you think the AI stinks, try Pausanias AI scripts (It's in SP's download section). And.. you can make your own henceman with your own AI in your own module. You can give it personality with dialoges, triggers or something like that.

The graphic.. hmm.. Maybe it's because I got a very old computer that I doesn't think it's that important. I loved BG 1 and 2 for its simple graphic and that it actually Could run on my system. Oh well, perhaps Dungeon Siege got some pretty animations and stuff like that. But it's only eye candy! Not that it matters for the real player. I actually was shocked how beatiful Wail of the Banshee was.

And one little thing more.. there isn't many defensiv spells in nwn? Is that true? I have heard it from a friend but since I have only played Ranger so far, I don't know.

I don't love the single player module and I don't hate it. It was a bonus that Bioware made so we could learn the games basic and some people could grab their cola and toolset and start building amazing world made by themself and make it public to here others responses. That was why I got NWN in the first place.

Peace.

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

NWN has good graphics. Dungeon Siege has even better graphics. Fighting goes slower in NWN, but that's because NWN is D&D-based, and D&D is turnbased... Fortunatly, good graphics aren't all. Dungeon Siege or NWN.... for me it is easy to choose between a game with great graphics and bad gameplay and a boring story and a game with good graphics though maybe less good then DS but a much better gameplay and story...

It depends on what type of game you like. When you like Hack & Slash like Diablo 2, go play DS. But I'm a roleplayer and many people here are roleplayers, and I don't think that there is one roleplayer in the world that thinks DS is better then NWN.

5. Turandil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Must say that I think that NWN is 9141^33 times the game then Dungeon seige, really didn't like Ds...

6. Masterfulks Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

My main complaint with nwn is that its too easy.

I'm a 16th lvl figther and most of the stuff i kill now in chapter 3 have just been more annoying than any challenge. Chapter 1 had some challenges around every corner due to low level i guess. Even the bosses arent really tough. Especially due to the stone of recall.

I miss the challenge that the BG games had. I actually used to use the pause button to plan out stuff........

7. Herf Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Never ****tier Nights

Ever bought a game - Then regretted it the moment you saw the icon on your desktop? Welcome to the world of Never Winter Nights. From bad graphics even on high end machines to bad voice acting, the game sucks.

Not a day goes past in which I wish I hadn't of wasted my money on this three CD piece of junk. From the intial install which rides up 2 gigs of my hard drive I knew I was doomed. Error messages appeared telling me I couldn't install. After some fine tweaking of my beloved machine I finally got it to install. Lo and behold, it loaded as well, glory be, it was a miracle. Alas, halfway through the creation of my dwarven fighter it crashed to Windows. After three unsuccesful tries I gave up and slept. The next morning before school I was feeling lucky, so I loaded up NWN, or tried to, as the case was. Nothing, after clicking 'Play.' Just plain ol' nothing.

One re-install and one late day for school later it was loading again. And the miracle of miracles happened, I got to create my character and play through the prologue... My word it was crap. I can understand that the prologue is the worst part of any game, but you think five years in development someone would have had at least one good idea for a plot. But no, city under siege, wow. Ten minutes into the first chapter, snap bang fizzle, my computer goes dead.

I reloaded it. Oh dear, for some reason my CD drives have been dis-abled, my floppy drive apparently doesn't exist anymore and I only have one hard-drive, wow, ya know I could swear that the floppy drive is right there and what the hell is my system installed on? The supposed missing hard drive: Great.

Oh yeah, and the extreme choppy performance on a 1.1 Athlon processor meeting all the recommended specs, it sucked. I clicked, literally four seconds later my character agreed and moved. I wouldn't dare venture into multiplayer.

So of course what happens next? I un-install and re-install like a good little gamer. Yet again, no response after clicking 'Play.' Great. One manual patch install later (more than 30 megs I had to download on 56k!) and a lot of swearing and abuse it worked, kinda. Tried to load my game at the start of chapter one... Nope, back to windows it sent me. Great.

Never again will there be ****ter Nights than these. Take it as you will.

So now I'm back to ol' faithful, BG2 and PS:T.

[ September 21, 2002, 01:02: Message edited by: Herf ]

8. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I really liked both Dungeon Seige and NWN, but for different reasons.
    I like DS because of the fast paced combat, the sprawling levels, and... the mules. Those mules are too cool! BUT, there were too few quests, you basically have like 5 or 6 quests in the whole game. There is a feeling that you really don't have enough to do. You don't usually go back to the same areas again, you are always on your way somewhere new, with little room for exploration, and no side paths or optional quests. So it has a really linear feel to it. The story is also a little bland. And was it just me or are the really cool items pretty much non-existant until the later part of the game? But despite the minor problems, I still had a lot of fun playing.

I like NWN because it offers you some freedom in what you where you go and what you do. And it's a D&D game, so I felt right at home. In fact it had a lot of the same "Feel" to it as Baldur's Gate, which I really liked. There are plenty of optional quests and stuff off of the beaten track for you to discover. You can find cool stuff almost right from the beginning. The story and quests are a little bland, but gets better as it goes on. The combat is a little slow paced, and the chests and boxes get somewhat monotonous after a while, but you can ignore most of them once you get a into the second or third chapter. The henchmen got really frustrating after a while, they actually seemed to get stupider as the game goes on. But these are minor flaws and did not detract from my enjoyment of the game in any major way.

I enjoyed both games imensely and totally disagree with the idea either is a bad game. And Herf, I had NO problems running either. I think NWN locked up occasionally but it wasn't that big of a deal, and after a patch or two even this minor problem was gone. I can sympathize with your frustration, but the fact that your comp has problems running it does not make it a bad game. Give it another chance!

[ September 21, 2002, 08:37: Message edited by: Nutrimat ]

9. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

:lol: I can't even remember making this thread. :) My opinion on the game has changed since however. I have got a RAM upgrade and it is an ok game. Still not great though.

[ September 22, 2002, 17:12: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

10. Darkblade Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I wouldn't call Dungeon Siege an RPG. I'd call it a fantasy tactical combat simulator. It does this very well. If that's what you look for in a game, that's the one for you.

NWN tells a story. And it allows you to create your own modules. If that's what you look for in a game, that's the one for you.

As far as technical merit, NWN requires far more resources than DS, and I just don't see where they go. Certainly not the graphics, which are good, but not earth-shattering.

Morrowind just barely runs on my computer. But at least I can see the stunning visuals. :) I haven't played it enough to render a full judgement. So far, there's too much trudging around for my taste. :(

11. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

You know I've always wondered exactly where all the resources NWN hogs goes too. DS is much more impressive visually and I can run it at it's highest settings, and it runs smooth as silk. I downloaded a custom mod (admitedly, the mod itself or the new texture pack might have had something to do with it...heh, it could have been filled with OnHeartbeat scripts), and decided to check out what I was running NWN on. I had been running it on 800x600 64 mb textures, so I decided to up the visual to the higher resolution (what I ran DS on), and it was VERY skippy and stuttery. I'm sure NWN doesn't render it's graphics as efficiently as DS, and it's lighting/partical effects are much better and undoubtedly take up more processing power. *shrugs* I wish I knew why NWN was a resource hog...maybe it's the scripts. Maybe it has more going on in a typical gameworld then DS does.

12. Person_Persival Banned

[​IMG] Anyway, on Topic.

My computer does not let the game run good at all, nor does it load or save very fast. In all its a really slow sluggish game to me, yet I still play it all day. No way do I think this is as good as BG2, but I must say I like manny things that I think BG2 lacked. I like the new rule set in many ways, and the gameplay. I would probably think NWN to be just as good if I could run it as smooth and fast as Baldurs Gate.

NWN aint crap...its different :D

13. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

in a D&D sense, NWN is crap, in a CRPG sense, it's probably ok game. There's a huge difference between the two, as D&D offers a lot of explicit details, combinations, careers etc.

Putting it on a puter restricts all these aspects to something that I personally find absolutely horrible, but that's just me.

If you want to play a decent CRPG, play nwn multiplayer somewhere (single player is just dreadful). For D&D, seek out a real game instead.

14. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I have to agree with Lokken. It is an okay game for the computer, but my machine is having some massive problems running it. I'm going to try putting it on the 1.2 Ghz machine I have in the basement, see if that runs it better. It has a lot less RAM though, so we'll see.

As far as D&D goes, no computer game can match the thrill of Saturday night P&P with your gang.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.