1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Alternative to ALFA

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Bellendaine, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Darien reread Bains 2nd sentence. It states, and I quote: "I believe that many times, they simply mistake a TOTAL COMMAND of the English language for STUPIDITY." End quote. He was taking a jab at us Americans, which I do not appreciate. As I am relatively sure I have a higher I.Q. than Bain, and am not controled by prejudice and ignorance.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Given the context of what he was saying, I believe he actually meant to say "...the lack of a total command of the English language..."

It seemed to me he was saying that if you don't speak English well you should indicate so in your bio so they will be less likely to think you are stupid due to your lack of skills in the language.

3. Lao Chan Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well i'm awefull at english and may be looked upon as stupid, but hey who cares?!.

I have fun and thats all that matters.

4. Linael Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Bain Croix wrote:
    "Why would you wish to belong to a world game where every slob was let in?"

Bain Croix, that was an awfully Snobby comment.

I understand what you mean, but there is only one fair way to judge people for acceptance into a role-playing community and that is by observation in a RP environs.
    Otherwise ALFA will just alienate and split the online gaming community into ex-Pen & Paper guys and Computer RP'ers.
    Schism killed A/D&D last time 'round. Let's not let it happen again huh?

5. Ragnar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Let me start by saying who I am. I am a 35year old rpg'er. I have played since I was 15. I haven't yet been accepted by ALFA but I will be someday I hope. My rejection was due to my poor applications and lousy spelling.
    Now to the Point.
    By rejecting some players based on their apps they make being accepted worth more. My first app. was a joke. It took me 2 min. to make and was awfull. I just figured they would "see" that I had played for 20+ years and deserved to be in ALFA.
    I was wrong and you know what? I am glad they rejected that app. When I re-apply I will take it more seriously and do a better job.
    Now the questions.
    By my rejection how is that creating a schism?
    Who are you hoping will get in that is being rejected?

6. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I noticed that some people have difficulties getting into ALFA, while for others it comes naturally. On the community boards many people can be seen that proudly state the fact of their acceptance after 8 attempts. No, problem - they attuned to the ideal of ALFA player - it is all I can think.
    I typed up my first application to check what kind of player does ALFA looks for - a person that wants to bring up something absolutely not like the others, who combines the abilities of 3E in the most innormal ways, or your average roleplayer, for whom the initial originality of a character is not so much a factor as his actions. Well, my visually focused app of a halfling necromancer (heh) got rejected. It gave me an idea, and my next application was one of a human priest with a very believable, well written and researched story. I knew I will get in, and I did. I very much hope that most of ALFA's contigent would be people who want to just have good nights of good roleplay, and if subjects out of the definition get in, then, as people say - they will not be in for long.
    Just my idea - I would not hesitate to apply twice, but on the eights time one might think he needs some new ideas. :)

7. Linael Gems: 3/31

ALFA applications are to select the best, or most suitable, few (1000 is few) gamers for the ALFA project.
    My point is: You could have a Chimpanzee apply over and over until it was accepted. How does that make that Chimpanzee one of the best few?. Surely rejection should be final, otherwise the cut loses it's integrity.

This is'nt a flame, just a dilemma I am having a hard time with :-*
    ( I have been neither rejected or accepted yet )

Linael

8. Ragnar Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] In answer to your delema.
    The reasons for rejection are varied.
    Some rejections, I am told, are due to the class you have chosen to play. To many drow, to many CN thieves, to many red wizards. 1000 players are a small group.

9. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Firstly, I think it's ridiculous to assume that an application such as alfa's could somehow weed out the *best* roleplayers from those that apply. How exactly does the character description and one vague open ended question about what a roleplayer should be allow alfa to choose the best roleplayers out there? Alfa chooses the players they want, by whatever whatever quirky little intersting ways they seee fit. They surely don't choose them from any real information. Saying alfa has the best RPers around is a bit like putting the cart before the horse don't you think? Perhaps we should all wait to see what alfa becomes after it actually comes into existance when NWN is released to make that claim.

10. Linael Gems: 3/31

Excellent.
    Alternatives will have to spring up to feed the massive demand for NWN persistent worlds. The question is...

A. Will we pay for the privelidge? (sic)

B. How much would that be sir?

Linael of the Mists.

11. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I was considering playing on ALFA or an alternate online world. But since I have a crappy internet connection, I'll be leaning more towards playing over the LAN. Even though there's a mere two or three DM's that'll be working on it, I'm sure it'll be well worth playing (both of the DM's I know are really good). So if anyone is in the Midwest/Des Moines area, feel free to join :)

12. Bellendaine Gems: 1/31

Well I just wanted to thank everyone who added constructive and useful replies to my query about ALFA. I reapplied a second time and tried to do ALL the things that were suggested, but it's been quite a while so I'm not very optimistic.

If anyone knows of any other quality worlds out there that might be formed, please let me know if you would. I'm a mature, dedicated, team-playing player and I'm pretty sure that a world would be glad I was in it. I'm (if I do toot my own horn) in demand by a number of guilds in my DAOC server world, so I hope that's a good sign.

I just really would like to join a persistent world and unfortunately I don't seem to be able to convince ALFA that I'd be an asset.

Thanks again, and please send any persistent world links to me at jscottdc@aol.com. Good playing!

13. gollum Banned

What is ALFA?

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  15. Fudashi Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hmmmm I have a problem with this whole application thing. Seems to me like they are doing it backward. As many have said, how can one use an answer to a vague question and a biography to judge someone? Actions speak louder then words.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.