1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Favorite Warrior Poll

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Edwin, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Edwin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I wondered who the majority of the people on this board liked better: the 3 best fighters: Minsc, Khalid, and Shar-Teel. Feel free to post your choice.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 33 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Favorite Warrior Poll (33 votes.)

Favorite Warrior Poll (Choose 1)
    * Minsc - 58% (19)
    * Khalid - 18% (6)
    * Shar-Teel - 18% (6)
    * None of them. - 6% (2)

2. cadderly Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

edwin, why make a thread like this, everyone knows minsc is the best, and their are too many khalid haters to make this poll any good :p and shar teel is just bleh if you ask me, but im just one person and their are many who will post on this.

3. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Khalid-haters? Where? Can't say I've seen any myself. ;)

Not surprisingly I'll go with Minsc. Khalid I only have tag along in case Imoen needs some target practice. Shar-Teel is certainly okay (and quite fit to boot) but if it was her or Minsc, the madman with the hamster wins out every time. Minsc has Boo. What does Shar-Teel have? (Resists the urge to make a 'Shar-Teel has a beaver' comment...)

But no Ajantis? Sure he's holier-than-thou and probably Keldorn's long lost son, but he's a pretty decent melee character.

And no Kagain? A poor man's Korgan he might be but he can soak up some serious damage.

4. cadderly Gems: 5/31

i agree with your comments on kagain and ajantis, especially if your main character is a paladin then you have to have ajantis, or you wont have a truely paladin'ish party, if thats a word, and kagain is just awesome, especially since he comes with his own magic axe, and in bg1 this means a lot. but no team is truly a team without a brain damaged, 6 ft 5 inch blonde ranger who idolizes a rodent........kim possible.........with more height.........

5. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Minsc, without a doubt...but you're also forgetting Kivan...I know he's just a ranger, and I usually use him for archering, but whenever I send him into hand-to-hand he makes even Minsc work up a sweat to keep up.
    And Yeslick, here's another character that's been sadly overlooked...almost as good as Kagain in hand-to-hand, with cleric spells to boot makes for one tough cookie...err, dwarf.

6. cadderly Gems: 5/31

well i guess if you call hard tack a cookie then you can call a dwarf a cookie.........

7. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Minsc is good, but I'm with everyone else. Give Kivan a bow and he kills anything that moves. Yeslick and Kaigen are great for just barreling into enemies and mowing them down. I wish that they had a non-evil dwarf in BG2.

8. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I voted Shar-Teel, because she is the best of the three, but I think that both Montaron and Kagain is better.

The ones you lost to add:
    Ajantis
    Kagain
    Kivan
    Montaron
    Yeslick
    Coran
    Well, that is all I can come up with now.

[EDIT]Bleh I forgot Jahiera, now I will have Beren on my throat.[/EDIT]

9. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Minsc is the best melee warrior. His great strength is unmatched. His only drawback is that he's a ranger and he can't spend more proficiency points in large swords...

10. Lotlanne Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Minsc is the best - I am not crazy about his witch, but I'll tolerate her if he insists. But Kivan is the one I wish they'd brought to BG 2. What happened to him at the end? Why isn't he with us to be moved to Athcalta even if he is in the party at the moment?

11. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Khalid of those three.
    Although, I like Minsc MUCH more.
    Khalid makes a better fighter though.

12. Lacessit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I voted Shar-Teel because she's the one I like best out of those three. Normally I would say Kagain anytime.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Let's take a step back and consider this carefully...

What are the three stats you look at for warriors? For me it's strength, constitution and dexterity. Of those, two can be fixed with the appropriate gauntlets (strength and dexterity).

So let's see what we have:

Minsc: Str = 18/93 (+2 to hit, +5 to damage)
    Dex = 15 +1 bonus to AC
    Constitution = 15 +1 hp per level

Shar-Teel Str = 18/53 (50 something not sure if it's exactly 53) but it's +1 to hit +3 to damage
    Dex = 17 +3 to AC
    Con = 9 no bonus

Khalid Str = 15 no bonus
    Dex = 17 +3 bonus to AC
    Con = 17 +3 hit points per level.

OK, not we can't do anything about Constitution, so it is what it is. In this catageory Khalid is obviously best.

Now, Minsc and Shar-Teel have high strength, and Shar-Teel and Khalid have high dexterity. So in handing out the appropriate gauntlets, you would most likely give Minsc bracers of dexterity, Khalid bracers of ogre strength, and Shar-Teel probably the gauntlets of ogre strength as well. So, with appropriate items, you now have

Minsc: STR 18/93, DEX 18, CON 15
    Shar-Teel STR 18/00 DEX 17, CON 9
    Khalid STR 18/00 DEX 17, CON 17

To me, this is an easy decision - Khalid. Plus, as a fighter, he can place additional proficiency points in large swords. By mid BG1, he's hitting more often and for more damage than Minsc. By chapter 5, he is leading the party in kills, unless my PC is also a front-liner.

Now, if you're going to make the arguement that we aren't counting gauntlets, then my choice is Shar-Teel. I'll give up a little bit of a damage and one fewer HP per level than Minsc to get the dexterity bonus...

14. david w Gems: 19/31

I've not had Khalid in my party that many times (I find him *way* too irritating) but what little experience I've had of him is that he panics much too often. Quite often he'll panic in the middle of a fight and go running around, leaving the rest of the party to handle the fight without him. Admittedly, this happens with every NPC at one time or another but it seems to happen with Khalid more often than not.

Surely this would make Khalid a less effective warrior, even though his stats might be better than the others?

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    You're right about running away. All of the NPC's have a morale value, and depending on what this number is, the more likely they are to run away in the middle of a fight. Of all of the NPC's, Khalid and Garrick are the most likely to run. However, that only happens when they are reduced to 25% of their maximum hitpoints, so the easy solution is don't let that happen. If you give Khalid decent armor and a shield, with his good dex, he really won't get hit all that much.

For me, Khalid is the best fighter and the best overall tank in the game. Just exercise a little care so that he doesn't take too much damage, which can be easily accomplished by having him carrying a few healing potions around at all times. If he gets down to about half of his hitpoints, that's when you start drinking...

16. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I always loved Khalid, no matter what anyone says he'll always be my favourite NPC.

Minsc...well...I'd probably be shunned for this, but I really don't like the guy. The hampster thing is cute for a little while, but I was barely able to finish BG1 the last time I played through with the assumed party, and he didn't last long into BG2 because of my frustration. I'ts sort of like Xan. Funny for a bit, but after a while you just want him to shut up. Nha, minsc is a good fighter and he made a great human shield against Sarevok, but I just can't give up Khalid.

17. david w Gems: 19/31

Niskers, I wouldn't hurry to play the second game if I were you...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.