1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SoU - Solo Sorcerer

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Abdel - Bhaal Spawn, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I am having a heck of a time with Goblins and well anything. I never died so much in life. I don't even have time to cast a buff spell before I am hit and down for the count. My familiar once was killed only to bring me down with her. RRRRR....

I like the OC since they basically give you 3 levels to make the game no so challenging.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I agree that life is pretty tough in the first few levels of the SoU for an arcane spellcaster. But that just makes it all more interesting. The first few levels are just as important as the 30th and I don't like it when you race through the levels too quickly. There is a bit of XP to had in the village though, especially with the high CHA of a sorcerer. Summoning is reasonably important, but still, life is pretty tough until you get to at least level 5 or 7.

3. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

I don't like summoning. The xp for kills on some goblins go from 144 to 70. Need as much xp as possible to go up a level before I get killed again. Besides my sorcerer stats are

Str 12
    Dex 14
    Con 14
    Int 14
    Wis 10
    Cha 14

Yes, I know my Cha should be higher, but I am going for a RDD and I will have a bonus of +2 to Cha later on. As for my Str, I put it at 12 to get a Str of 20 when I achieve my last RDD level. The character I am building is suppose to do everything solo. That is why I whinning about the first few level. Once I have Ghostly Visage, things will change, but till than it is hard and I die quickly. LOL. I guess that is the life of a solo adventuring Sorcerer.

4. Chimera Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Mephits have damage reduction 5/+1, so they should safely melee in the beginning of SoU.

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Are you going to be melee based caster, or caster based melee?? Either way, you are going to have trouble as far as AB is concerned...

Then again, if this build is ONLY for SoU, then a blind monkey with a walking stick could finish the game...so you won't have any trouble...except maybe the frustration during early game.

As far as familiars are concerned, if you are going to be taking on enemies in melee yourself, I highly recommend the Panther familiar! It has Evasion and Sneak Attack, so the flanking damage adds up, even at lower levels. Extra 2d6 damage at lvl 3? Yes please!

6. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31

A sorc/RDD is gonna suck. Sorry but that's a rather poor jack-of-all-trades character. Much better to go Bard/RDD, but IMO just go pure Sorc. A bit tough at first but you will soon be clearing rooms of monsters with ease.

Those stats, too, kinda suck. Why 14 INT? Why 10 Wisdom? I'd go 8 in each and just go pure sorc.

Chimera's right about the mephits (and Imp too I think). They will be almost completely immune to harm from most enemies in the early going of SoU and immune to many of your spells so no need to worry about friendly fire.

Why solo? Solo or not you will end up at level 12. You might get there sooner solo, but it won't make much difference. This obsession with XP and leveling ASAP is a bit misguided, IMO. In the long run, it makes little difference. Solo only if you enjoy it, don't solo in some vane attempt to squeeze out every last little point of XP. And download Tony K's Improved Henchmen AI mod and your henchmen will actually be useful. It's always surprising to me how many mod the heck out of BG but seem completely unaware of some of the good mods for NWN.

7. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I usualy use Imp for the first few levels. Besides having 5/+1 DR, he also has STR poison attack (not all that useful though) higher dex&weapon finesse for higher AC, 2 regeneration (which starts the instant he's damaged) and is Flamable (flame weapon spell).
    Perfect tank for an early game.

8. Elthas Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Greetings. I'm new to the board but not to NWN.

I was able to solo a Sorcerer through SoU. My character's focus was primarily on Evocation and Abjuration spells, and her familiar was the Pseudodragon (in keeping with her alignment -- this was purely for roleplaying purposes). In terms of melee, my sorc had no ability whatsoever. I put a few points in DEX at creation and had her armed with a heavy crossbow. If I was in a situation where my sorc ran out of spells, I had her run, turn, and plink away with the crossbow. It worked as a stop-gap measure 90% of the time against most low to mid level enemies.

Admittedly, the first few levels were tough -- I rested, saved and reloaded often. But as Harbourboy said, once you get to level five or so, it gets a heck of a lot easier. For me, the turning point was getting the basic "Fireball" spell. Toward the end, I didn't need the familiar (or even the crossbow) as much anymore.

Truth be told, it can be done, though it's quite challenging. Just make sure you go pure Sorcerer, as Sir Fink stated!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.