1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Shadowdancing...DENIED!

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Death Rabbit, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I must be missing something. Just bought SoU last week, and right now I'm working on creating a Shadowdancer prestige class character. The requirements are 8 in Move Silently, 10 in Hide, 5 in Tumble, and the Dodge and Mobility feats. It says nothing about class or alignment restrictions, though the description does mention that warriors often choose this path.

My character, at 3 Ranger and 3 Rogue met all these requirements (without magic items), yet I wasn't able to select the prestige class when my 7th level came up. I picked another level of Ranger, boosting all the above mentioned stats even highter. But for some reason I think I'm missing something else.

Or...are the descriptions just wrong? :mad: :confused:

Thanks for any help.

2. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Don't you have to be level 10 ?

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I didn't think so...do you?

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

No, I was able to start taking shadowdancer levels as soon as I had met the skill requirements. I am not sure but I think my character was a ranger1/rogue5 at the time.

If no one else has figured the problem out by then I will check my saved game files tonight and see if anything comes to mind.

5. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I don't have the game, and haven't read much about the prestige classes. But could it be alignment resctrictions? Though, as I say, I really don't know much about it, so don't take my word.

6. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Remember that it is your number of ranks in each skill and not the total modifier that counts. The 10 in hide assures that you can't take this class until you have reached level 7.

7. Death Rabbit

Media:
    :confused: I'm sorry Zorac, could you elaborate a bit? That totally zipped by me...

8. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

If you during game call up the character sheet you will see your total modifiers for each skill.

During level up you will note that these are different. These are your ranks in each skills and the pre-reqs are all about those ranks. You max rank in any class skill is 3+level. So to have hide 10 you need to be level 7, it is a way to ensure that no one can take the class earlier than that (instead of having an explicit level req).

So you have to have "bought" all the skill pre-reqs with the skill points you receive at level up. Having a good Dex for example don't help in regards to the skill pre-reqs.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You must have 10 ranks in the Hide skill, meaning you must have spent 10 points on it. You can put 4 at level 1, and only 1 more per level after that, so level 7.

Your Dexterity modifier is added to your ranks to get your skill ability though, so even though you show more than 10 in the skill due to I assume a high Dexterity, (as well as your Ranger's Trackless Step possibly) the number of ranks you have is less than 10.

10. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Gotcha. Thanks man, that really cleared up the confusion. Didn't know any of that. Well, I should finish hacking my way through the Beggar's Nest tonight, which should bump me up a level, and I'll let you know.

:thumb:

11. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Well, in this case I could try a prestige class. :D

12. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Spoilers.....maybe

Now that I'm well on my way, does anyone have any tips regarding Shadowdancers? Right now I have Daelan as my homie, and my equipment consists of Studded Leather +1, Large Shield +1, and the Desert Wind Scimitar +1 (from Marrok). I was recently dual-wielding the Astral Blade +1 and the Feyduster Short Sword +1 (both from Marrok also), but I'm not sure the penalties for dual-wielding in NWN are worth it, considering it doesn't give you an extra attack.

Anyway...advice? I've only been as far as the end of Chapter 2, so please don't tell me anything after that. I've only played through once (up to that point), and it was with a kick-ass single-class Elven Fighter. Now I want to give the sneaky-snake strategy a try, but am not sure totally how to go about it.

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What do you mean it doesn't give you an extra attack? You should get one attack with your offhand weapon at your BAB, and as many with your main hand as your BAB provides for. If you get the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you get another attack with your offhand weapon at your BAB -5.

Also, for your Ranger in light armor, you should have only a -2 penalty if you have the shortsword in your offhand.

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well there are two main strategies that you can use with a shadowdancer based around the hide in plain sight ability. The first is the one I prefer as the second makes the game way too easy.

(1) hide in shadows, walk up behind the bad guy, sneak attack, "dance" a few steps away from him and hide in shadows again, sneak attack etc. until the bad guy is dead.

With high hide in shadows, move silent and tumble you should have no problem darting in and out of combat and hiding.

(2) hide in shadows, walk until you can just see the enemy, fire an arrow, immediately take one step and then hide in shadows again, fire another arrow, take another step and hide in shadows etc.

15. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Info from the official SoU forum:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.