1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"Does ANYONE like THIS game??!!"

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

when i bought NWN on the release date, I was very disappointed and didn't play it for quite some time, then I picked it up again when Hotu came out, bought both expansion and tried it again. I still find the OC a little boring, but okay. SoU was better and HoU I found great, specially the last chapter. If the whole game had been like Hotu it would have been almost just as great as bg in my eyes. Luckyli there are all the mods, which really save the game, there are tons of adventures out there both to roleplayers, hack'n'slashers and to does who lie between (me). and there is the multiplayer part, I don't like PW's, but me and some friends has picked up some multiplayer modules (that doesn't require a dm) and we are having a great time. So all in all I find NWN to be a great game.

2. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Originally, my answer was a resounding, "yes."

My first impression of this game was atrocious. Especially at the time, the toolset was even more cryptic and limiting than it is now.

When the very dissapointing single player campaign was over I thought I'd go find some mods that MUST be better than that, and a quick search online bacially turned up the giggly boob haks and "SEX QUEST!!!!!!!"

At this point I put the game away and forgot it existed for 6 months.

I don't remember what made me pick it up again, but I'm glad I did, there's now dozens of extremely good mods out there, and the toolset has come quite a long way as well.

In a lot of ways I'm having more fun playing with the toolset now, than I did playing (any) games.

The two official expansions weren't half bad either (well ok SoU was half bad).

[ August 06, 2004, 17:12: Message edited by: ArtEChoke ]

3. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Ah, here's the problem. NWN was designed from the ground up to be a multiplayer game. It was meant to get as close as was feasible to the experience of sitting around the table with some friends playing through a mod. Obviously there are still considerable limitations that prevent this from being the same, but that was the target, get closer to that experience.

Unfortunately, most of the buyers of computer adventure games expect to play with only the computer and themselves. Also, the toolset needed a showcase of some of the things it was capable of creating. These facts (and others, I'm sure) led to the creation of a single-player campaign for this multiplayer game.

Now remembering that this is a multiplayer game, I'd think that complaining about it's single-player enjoyment value is similar to complaining that you're not happy with the steak you ordered when you really wanted a Coke.

This is my take on it anyway. I really enjoy the game and the single-player parts were OK, too.
    :D

4. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

While I understand what you mean, I have to disagree.

If they make a single player game, it has no excuse to be a poor one. All other options and opportunities aside, they did include a single player game, and it was bad.

I think that "crpg'rs" in general need to lighten up and broaden their scope on things. The number of times I see people saying, "i have no interest in playing other people's mods!" baffles me.

5. BigStick Gems: 13/31

On that, I have to whole-heartedly agree.

6. toturi sezaru Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The problem is, I think, the OC storyline kinda sucks. But it is an epic adventure and the cutscene movies are quite well done. Not every game needs be the next best thing since BG2 nor should we believe the hype.

I have a friend who never played BG before, he really loves NWN. The multiplayer feature of NWN beats that of BG2 anyday, and the customisation of the toolset is just awesome.

7. Nolithius Gems: 1/31

That's an awful argument.

NWN was indeed intended to be heavily leaning towards multiplayer, appealing to those who wanted something of a combination of tabletop D&D dynamics and a graphical game (when in a DMed game). I have to say that did spark my interest.

However, BioWare put a lot of time into the single player part of the game— albeit not enough. The bottom line is that it WAS implemented into the game, and as such, it should've been done well. Are we supposed to settle for mediocrity because the game just wasn't entirely focused on the relevant aspect?

Mediocrity is never acceptable, period. If any given game is good at single player, but offers a poor multiplayer experience, players have the right to be unhappy, to dislike this negligence, and to complain (we all know many have done so about BG, hehe).

I don't think there is any "problem" in me expecting the single player portion of NWN to have been better.

You might be able to enjoy that steak, but if the curly fries on the side taste half-assed, you'd wish they wouldn't have come with the steak in the first place (and you'd probably complain).

Single player was, obviously, not the focus of NWN (and it shows). But BioWare was not about to release a purely MP game with the expectations it had from their previous work. So they put something together, polished it as best as they could until the due dates, and shipped. Better something than nothing, they thought.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  8. Eltharodo Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I see NWN's modding community as growing to be the most important around. Whoever said the OC was really just a demo for the experience as a whole was spot on. Many reviews I read were eager to point out that you can recreate every single detail from the main campaign on your own. What I'm actually beggining to design is a mod for NWN where the campaign is rebuilt. Having this sort of potntial in a game is stunning, and what often keeps me coming back.

On an unrelated note, does anyone here who plays ALFA have alink for the hak-paks needed? I signed up and everything, but I cant find a link. Plz dont say "look on the site" because I cant find a goddamn thing. Thx

El

9. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I have played multi, NWN, SoU, and now in the middle of HotU. It may not compare to BG story-wise... But the graphics, toolset, TONs of modules, and Character creation/classes make it one of my favorite games on the pc period. Other than BG this is the only D&D pc game that didn't have me play it for awhile then take a year break until i felt like bothering with it again ( Ice Fortress in Icewind Dale 2..anyone?)
    Games are all a matter of taste and i respect everyones personal opinion, but i think it's stupid to put a post in any game message board that asks "Does anyone really like this game?" when obviously people do or the Neverwinter Nights games wouldn't get so much attention and such. That's like me, being a Mitsubishi Motors fan, going into a Honda Motors chat room and asking "Do you guys really like Civics all that much?" Obviously some people do or you couldn't travel in surburbia or in town without seeing the damn things!!

10. Nolithius Gems: 1/31

NWN's flexibility is its only saving grace, but the negative thoughts about the OC have all already been covered, so we should let that drop.

Once again, an awful analogy.

If you "think it's stupid to post..." in this thread, then perhaps you should've given your advocation of censorship a bit more thought.

Your comparison is akin to that of someone posting in a generic 'BioWare Games' board and asking "Do you guys really like NWN all that much", which is actually entirely acceptable, and it's not what's happening here.

BioWare Games:NWN::Honda Motors:Civics::Developer/Maker:Specific Item/Model

See, this is not a boards about the general category of developer/maker, but about the specific category of the product itself, namely NWN.

So in essense, what you're trying to say is that it would be like going into a Civics board, and asking "Do you guys really like Civics all that much?". Which is really not providing that much insight since it's just switching "Civics" with "NWN".

The topic is, however, an entirely plausible one in both the Civics and NWN cases, specially if the respective community as a whole shares some sort of negative opinion to be discussed (preferably without the use of immature attacks such as referring to the thread as "stupid").

What is, indeed, not so wise, is to attempt to silence a group of individuals who are calmly and in an organized fashion sharing their dislikes of NWN, specially by the tired bandwagon argument of "Of course people like this game, else it wouldn't have sold so much!"

It should be settled that most, if not all of the individuals who have expressed a dislike for certain aspects of NWN have in turn praised others. It should also be cleared up that the title of this thread is, in all likelyhood, a hyperbole, and not meant to be taken literally (ie "anyone" should not be all-ecompassing). If we WERE to take it literally then perhaps part of your argument would stand: "Does anyone like this game?" "Yes, some people do". But that is beyond the scope/interest of the question, and everyone was able to understand this and carry on with a healthy argument until yours.

No one here is trying to make any personal attacks, or much less attack the opinions of many other people as "stupid", and it is my humble opinion that out of respect you should refrain from doing so as well.

Thank you.

11. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Welcome to the boards and all of that, but you should know the guy that originally made the title is an irredeemable knucklehead. See his post about homosexual behavior in the ToEE forum for farther clarification... :rolleyes:

12. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31

I'm so sorry. I'll crawl back into my hole. :rolleyes:

13. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I've played The official NWN campaingn and SoU through a couple of times. Now playing HotU and so far I've enjoyed the game.
    You can develop your character more freely than in BG2, which is why I like it. I can create a character (almost) no one has had before. Same can't be said about BG2.
    If I only had faster internet connection I might play NWN in MP mode. :(

14. BigStick Gems: 13/31

I used to play on my dial-up connection and the only time I had a problem was with the area transitions. You should be able to play online with no problem unless your dial-up connection is really slow, i.e. < 33.6.

15. Lord Moredhel Gems: 1/31

NWN campaign: bit boring
    SoU campaign: BOOOOORING!!!
    HotU campaign: KICKASS :D

imho ;)

16. badge9781 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I play alot especially since HOTU came out i love making armour that is very skimpy on female characters my only complaint is no inventory control in the original campaighn

17. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31

I think i downloaded something from the 'editors,hacks, and tweaks' section that let me control my hencman's inventory in the OC because i've always been able to control my henchie's inventory.

18. Sir Feat Gems: 1/31

Do I like NWN? No. And coming to it after BG's trilogy I was hugely disappointed - kind'a like discovering that Tolkien had written a sequal to Lord of the Rings and after you rush to buy it you find out that it's 900 pages of King Aragorn I's agricultural reforms and the Minutes of the Hobbiton Parish Council for the years 1 - 10 (New Age).

I would not have (eagerly) bought NWN had not BG pursuaded me that Bioware was the best, but I guess they were faced with the problem of 'how do we follow Baldur's Gate?' To my mind they chose to follow BG by going for the gimmick of the 3D graphics and relying on that for the 'Wow' factor, but I've never been able to play beyond Chapter 1 as being able to zoom around the world is just not interesting enough. I settled on a viewpoint and pretty much left it there as I played, while what I missed were all the character interactions, party-balancing and 'teamwork' which for me made BG exceptionally interesting.

Maybe NWN multiplayer is more interesting. I live in the Third World where it is midnight when everyone else is having their daytime, with a dial-up connection which can barely manage 1kbps downhill with the wind behind it and which still costs a fortune, so I've never tried Multiplayer. As a single-player game the character aligments and AI scripting made possible by the game engine of BG makes 'the computer' more than a dumb, passive machine, and the virtual 'world' in which you are playing your role is far more 'real'.

So, yes, I was another one looking for NWN to be 'BG3' and as it isn't it sits in its box, I haven't bothered with any of the expansions and I go back again and again to the infinitely variable, never predictable, world of Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and all my old friends if I want to pass an hour or two on a rainy day.

Regards.

19. paul w Gems: 1/31

I just started playing again BG 1 after finishing it years ago.Neverwinter is a step back from this game.BG has a better story line.It allows you to develop the charectors that join you.It gives you what I consider an all around better Rpg.I will not be buying Neverwinter 2 if it is the same child level game.I bought SOU and was pissed that I had a charector that was too advanced for what I thought should be a real continuence of the game.BG1,BG2,Icewind dale 1&2,and the 2 fallouts were so popular in part that as you learned the game your charector grew.It takes real imagination to write a story for an advanced charector.All Neverwinter has going for it really is the ease for fans to write mods,and some fans have come up with really great mods(better than the original).I would tell Bioware and Atari to review the above games for future direction.

20. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I enjoyed the OC and expansions for what they're worth. I would like ALFA but since I have been ignored by them twice, I think they are just too snobby for me to bother. I might stick to my own home LAN.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.