1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Incredible slowdowns with 2d images on screen - help!

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Abomination, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

[​IMG] I'm running a 2000mhz, 1gig ddr ram, Gforce 4 mmx 64 and after recently installing and updating NWN to 1.61 I'm suffering incredible slowdowns (i.e. frame rate drops to 5-10) whenever there are a large number of 2d images on my screen (e.g. inventory images in your inventory screen, quick button images such as power attack) especially when I open my inventory menu.

Has anyone else suffered this problem? Any advice in how to fix this? I'm planning on buying the expansion packs to enjoy some more online dungeon romping however I simply won't stand for such low frame rates when trying to access my inventory (takes a few minutes just to equip a sword and don't get me started on trading).

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I doubt anything else but your graphic card could be the cause. The rest of your configuration is decent enough, but you should really buy a new graphic card.

3. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I'm also suffering the same problem. Actually I have the exact same graphics card and have been suffering slowdowns only recently. I ruggest a reinstallation to see what happens but I've yet to try that on my computer.

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Tried reinstalling, tried running without update, tried almost everything. Time for new graphics card then :bad:

5. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Wierd, it runs on a Intel Extreme just fine, as long as you keep the detail and fog down.

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Remedy? – Turn graphics all the way down. Still slowing down? – Buy a new graphics card, the MX is a pretty crappy card for a game like HotU. Try 9800 Pro or Ti4600, avoid the FxUltra’s would be my advice.

7. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The MX serie is like two cards below, meaning that it's like a geforce 2 mx.

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Strangely enough, I've run the game just fine on much less than that.

Upgrade your graphics drivers before spending the money to get a new card.

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I've upgraded my drivers to latest - I have an automatic driver update checker thing and I checked manually anyway.

The strange thing is that I put the graphics settings up to maximum, top resolution, shadows, grass - you name it - and it runs fine as long as I don't look at my inventory or have any quick commands bound (they show up in the bottom of the screen). Appears my graphics card LOVES 3D but despises 2D.

10. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It has NOTHING to do with the graphics card, go to the configuration settings and select "disable sound".

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think Rastilin might be right. That worked for me.

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I think Rastilin might be wrong. It didn't work for me.

It can't be anything but the graphics card. My computer possesses very nice specs and ram whereas the video card has a history of posessing nice graphics if you don't mind the abysmal frame rate, bugs and constant shutdowns.

It slows down when there are 2d images on the screen. Without any images I can run the game in top resolution with all graphical effects and I get a constant 60-70 fps (assumption). However when something 2D pops up (portrait, inventory items, feats or anything in the lower quick-key bar) the frame rate decreases a certain amount per every 2D image. It runs fine with sound as long as there are no 2D images.

13. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

When I had my old PC walking around was not a problem but opening the inventory or talking was painful, new gfx and the rest of your system is pretty good so go for a ti4600, they are not so expensive and most other cards like 9800 pro have no erm noticeable difference apart from bigger price tags ;d

14. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Abomination,

I've run the game perfectly with max graphics on a TNT2 w/ 32MB VRAM, and 386MB PC-100 SDRAM. I'm telling you, the graphics card by itself can handle the game.

How much free space is on your hard drive?

15. Abomination Gems: 26/31

@Rastor - heaps. 8 gigs.

Sure the video card should be able to handle the game, but obviously it can't. I've had problems with it in the past running games in a rather crappy way or constant freezes.

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You must be joking... I've run it with a GeForce 2 MX and anything higher than 800x600 with nearly all the fancy effects off was a slideshow at a few dozen locations in the game.

That card was barely enough to handle the original game; forget about HotU, which raises the requirements even higher.

17. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Rastor it is not possible to play the game with a machine as lowly as that you cannot be serious it is just not possible. I had a tnt2 64mb sdram and an 800mhz pro before and I could not run NWN without painful fps.

Even if it could handle the game which it ->doesn’t<- then playing with that card limits what you can play anyway. Updrade ;d

18. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I purchased a new video card (GeForce Fx 5200) and the problem is solved. Thank you for your assistance everyone whether you were right or wrong.

19. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I'm having the same problem, but I have a Geforce 4 Ti 4200, with AthlonXP 2400+, 768MBs of RAM, and 50 GBs left on the hard disk. I didn't have this problem while running the nether scrolls, but as soon as I moved into HotU, it started dragging at random intervals, even during the intro. Do I have to buy a new graphic card, too? I hope not, because mom will grow horns and shoot flames at me..

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Yep. Same problem, same solution.

I wanted to suggest the GeForce FX 5200, it's what I bought as well... Cheapest on the market, and good enough for now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.