1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NWN Gone Gold!

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Taluntain, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Believe it or not, it's true!

Here's the official press release:

BioWare’s Dungeons & Dragons Masterpiece Is Complete

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada – June 11, 2002 – Infogrames, Inc. (Nasdaq: IFGM), a leading global publisher of interactive entertainment software, today announced that the long awaited and highly anticipated epic, Neverwinter Nights™, has completed development and will ship to retail stores under the Company’s Atari label before the end of June. The most complete software adaptation of the classic pen-and-paper Dungeons & Dragons® role-playing game ever, Neverwinter Nights is the latest game from BioWare Corp., creators of the 4 million selling Baldur’s Gate series.

"Finally, PC gamers the world over can breathe – their dream computer game is complete and only days away from their PCs," said Jean-Philippe Agati, senior vice president and general manager of Infogrames’ Los Angeles studio. "Neverwinter Nights has lived up to all of its promises – engaging and exciting single player campaign, a groundbreaking multiplayer component, never-before-seen user editing abilities and, for the first time ever, a true translation of the D&D® ‘Dungeon Master’ to electronic entertainment."

Neverwinter Nights redefines the electronic role-playing game genre using the fully-3D BioWare Aurora Engine and the Third Edition of the Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) core rulebook, published by Wizards of the Coast, Inc. The game contains an amazing 60-100 hour single player campaign that is also playable in multiplayer mode. More than just a game, Neverwinter Nights breaks new ground as the first complete role-playing system for the computer platform, allowing its players to step into the shoes of the Dungeon Master to tell their own stories and create their own adventures in the spirit of the exciting pen and paper original.

"We’re very proud of the hard work every member of our development team has put into Neverwinter Nights over the last five years," said Greg Zeschuk, Joint CEO of BioWare Corp. and Co-Executive Producer of Neverwinter Nights. "When we started developing Neverwinter Nights, we realized that technology would reach the point where we could actually have a 3rd Edition Dungeons & Dragons computer game that brought the best social elements of traditional kitchen-table pen-and-paper role-playing to people all over the world through their computer and the Internet. We’re very fortunate to be able to do this."

"Neverwinter Nights was designed to be everything anybody could ever want in a D&D™ role-playing game," said Ray Muzyka, Joint CEO of BioWare Corp and Co-Executive Producer of Neverwinter Nights. "The development team – a group of exceptionally creative, smart people - has done an amazing job: Neverwinter Nights has an incredibly engaging 60-100 hour official campaign, playable in either single-player or in multiplayer mode. Everything in the campaign has been built with the same BioWare Aurora Neverwinter Toolset that is also bundled with the game. We’ve enabled gamers to join their friends online and play through adventure modules created by fans and Neverwinter Nights community members, together with a dungeon master if they so choose! The game looks amazing – the BioWare Aurora Engine is capable of some amazing graphical effects. Overall, we just can’t wait to see what the Neverwinter Nights community comes up with when they’ve got the game and its powerful tools in their hands!"

The PC version of Neverwinter Nights will ship to retailers before the end of June. Linux gamers can anticipate the online release of the Neverwinter Nights server at launch and the client program shortly afterward. Linux gamers will still need the Windows version of the game to register at the Neverwinter Nights community site (http://neverwinternights.com) and to import essential game resources into their Linux server and game.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Not that I plan to play under Linux, but what the hell is that little bit at the end about? Seems rather strange to make a Linux version only to force those with Linux to also have the Windows game installed in order to get "essential game resources".

3. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Tal, thanks as usual for the nice info! Come July, I'll be playing the nights away in Neverwinter.

4. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

And my heart skips a beat! Woohoo, now comes the fun part. So what is the word on actual release date? They say before the end of June, but, well, when? OK, I'll be patient.

AORTAns, time is ticking for ALFA then as well, it's target date is one month after the release, so we're looking at the end of July. There's a lot of work to do, so please read the recent posts in the faction board.

And Tal and BTA, thanks for your support on the ALFA boards, it's good to see a logical side of the argument.

5. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Holycrapitsalmosthereholycrapitsalmosthere

6. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I couldn't really figure out what Kalbar was so on about. What difference does it make whether identified AORTA members post over there? :confused: I don't read Bain's posts anyway (since he conveniently gives them a nice, distinctive background) so I'm not sure what Tal and the others were reacting to (not that its hard to guess).

Aloha
    Vormaerin

7. Magnus Magicus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

/me stands on the table and dances the Hokey Pokey!

8. Turambar Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:D:D :rolling: :D:D

If I was halucinating when I saw the frontpage you must excuse the above outburst

9. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Well, that's a problem... I haven't registered in ALFA yet and the Player Apps are closed. What should I do? Any suggestions welcome :cry:

10. Magnus Magicus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Just have fun with the game while waiting for the applications to open once again. ALFA won't go live for at least a month after NWN hits the shelves.

11. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It's no big deal if you're in ALFA or not. That 60 hour single player campaign the game ships with will be worth it.

12. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'm so excited! :good:

:tie: I'm :tie: ready :tie: to :tie: RUMBLE

13. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    WOOHOO, finally,finally. Just one more week of exams and than...NWN
    /me happy, extremely happy :D :D

14. Finally.. how.. I mean.. how !.. Could it be ..

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

15. Silverblade Guest

D'oh, so soon? I don't even have a computer yet with the required specs to play it on. I have to get money and fast.

16. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] Come Lesse, my Elven Dual Dagger wielding thief, it is finally time... :evil:

17. herf Guest

:( I have all the recommended specifications... Except that huge 800mhz processor needed! Mine is barely half that, on a good day! Most days it runs more like a 300mhz :( Ah well, guess what I'm getting for my birthday this year... New motherboard! If I'm lucky...

I can't wait until NWN comes up, a friend of mine has pre-ordered it, as soon as he gets it he's bringing it to my house and I'm rolling off copies for a few friends. We've all left the back end of the summer holidays free so we can all take our computers to one of our houses and multi-play the nights / days / weeks away :D My parents better not be expecting me to come out of my room over the summer holidays...

Have fun all, I know I will :D

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Um, you won't be able to multiplay with your friends if you all have copies of the same game. It checks the CD key...

19. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I had an email today from Special reserve (A UK Games company) which has general news and lists the games being released in the next two weeks. They quote NWN as being available from "NEXT FRIDAY: JUNE 21st". The link to their site for the game is:
    http://sp.reserve.co.uk/reviews/review.php?pic=JL4740&af=ur130602

(don't order it from then though. Use the Links from Sorcere's pages and help support Sorcerers if you are going to get it:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/NWN/index.php
    )

I'd be amazed if its true as the US always gets stuff before us but Special Reserve are normally pretty accurate.

To be honest though I won't be rushing out to get it. Morrowind is going to keep me busy for ages. I'm also likely to get the Add-on for Operation Flashpoint, Resistance, which is also due a week Friday. I'm also still waiting to get Medal of Honor. Finally, I have a horrible feeling that the single player game of NWN is going to be a bit of a let-down. I'm already missing the party interaction of the BG games (Gothic and Morrowind have no party members) and I don't think there will be anything special about single-player NWN. That only leaves the Multi-player side and I am worried that it might end up needing a broadband connection to be playable. The system spec rumours might also be beyond a lot of the people I would hope to play with. So, at the risk of being negative, I'm going to wait for the reviews, then the multiplayer reviews, and then the feedback from this very site :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  20. Cullain Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

UK should get it at least the same week as the US, Bioware is trying very hard to do a simultaneous world-wide release. And since their publisher(Infogrames) is based in France, it's a lot more likely to happen.

Cullain

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.