1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Getting the Itch...

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by ToddMcF2002, Aug 15, 2006.

1. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Almost inexplicably I'm considering heading back in with a new party. Crazy as it sounds. I havent tried the Barbarian!

2. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I just dug it out of my attic, and I'm thinking of replaying it too.

3. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Did you complete the game the first time? It took me a few years since I took several breaks. I really loved the game. It is one of the few games that would draw me back eventually when I got sick of playing it.

And talk about a long game. Few games improve suddenly after 50+ hours but this one sure did!

4. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Is this the same game I played!? I played it for about 10 minutes before quickly uninstalling. Why would you want to play this with the likes of BG and IWD?

5. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Perhaps you should have played it for more than 10 minutes?

Baldurs Gate was a good game, IWD is OK for mindless hack and slash gameplay. Personally I think ToEE is better than all of the above and PoR2 I rank very highly.

6. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I tried so hard to like this game, but it was dreadful.

7. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

You guys are just scared of the ruins. Seriously you are definately missing out on the excellent second half of this game. The Drow, Cultists, Liches, higher level stuff with lots of spell casting that requires tactical thought and planning. I admit the first half of the game can be pretty redundant and its a long haul to get back to the surface but once you are there the game picks up tremendously.

8. Johi Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

In contrast to most other people who played the game, I think it is a great game! I loved the fighting system, the story (even if it is ot very tight) and the landscape!

9. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

This game had a lot going for it... if they had just revamped the combat system... Another problem with the engine is that you couldn't move from place x to y without tediously scrolling and clicking, scrolling and clicking... instead of going to the map screen, clicking where you wanted to go .. then your party would follow the quickest way there. I think that's why the first dungeon was so tedious.

10. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

The biggest issue I had with navigation in the dwarven ruins was that I had no idea what I was in for. Its just enormous. Early on due to the heavy combat I didnt bother mapping and flagging properly. Much later on I paid for that. As the quest log started filling up I had to take a break for a good 2 hours and rewalk the levels - remapping, taking notes and flagging areas.

The game is also a bit deceptive. It seems like a hack-n-slash out of the gate but 20-30 hours later its takes a turn and suddenly all this storyline kicks in, and it gets stronger right up until the conclusion. I'll never forget leaving the dwarven ruins after a solid 50 hours of crawling and realizing the raw scope of the game. And boy, those outdoor areas were really something. Then I realized I had only completed about 30% of the game!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.