1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Oh Sh**! "Can't find Disc 1" Error ?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Alqualome, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Alqualome Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] 'lo all :o

I had to reinstall the game.
    First I ran the uninstall programm (same old patch 1.1), and then restarted to patch to install it again.

But the installer won't go, it ways...
    Could not find the original Pool of Radiance CD. Please insert Pool Disk 1, wait a few seconds and then press OK to try again".

So basically, I can't play.

Any help?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Most posters here will simply say "leave it that way." Not many here like the game.

That aside, I've never had a problem installing. Have you read/followed the Ubisoft install faq?

Do you really need to install in a directory other than the recommended directory? Patch 1.1 is typically only used if you install to someplace OTHER than the C: drive. I do not have patch 1.1 and have no problems (but I installed in the recommended directory).

Sometimes programs leave files behind when uninstalled -- these can cause problems and you may need to erase them (which deletes the saved games).

Stating the obvious... make sure your using the install disk and not the play disk (I believe there were two disks)..

3. Alqualome Gems: 1/31

Well, we solved the problem getting another copy.

I kept using the install patch and it didn't work, but then we let the CD#1 go alone (no 1.1 install patch) and waited for the installation to end, and in game it says it's 1.2 version.

So I guess I'm out of the HD-erasing problem or any other problem with install/uninstalling since we manage to install a 1.2 straight away.
    I'm assuming I'll have to use the uninstaller patch anyway when we're done with this game.

Also, you mentioned choosing another directory from the one recommended - we did pick a different one, but I am still hoping we're not going to find problems with it as it's a 1.2 version already (and this off the installing process, without running any patch after the installation).
    I am still going to run the 1.4 patch and I'm doing it now.

Thank you lad. :)

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Subsequent versions of the patch DID NOT have the install fix. If you installed to any drive OTHER THAN C: you MUST use the 1.1 patch.

5. Alqualome Gems: 1/31

It's still in C: but not the recommended directory.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Apologies for reviving such an old thread, but I'm trying to install the game (my first time) and I get the same error ("Could not find the original Pool of Radiance CD. Please insert Pool Disk 1, wait a few seconds and then press OK to try again") when I run the 1.1 patch. I checked the readme on the CD, and it says version 1.2. So does por2main.exe (in the "version" tab). Therefore I'm assuming that my game is already pre-patched to 1.2. Does this mean I cannot install the 1.1 fix? And if this is the case, what can I do about the horrible uninstallation bug? I really don't want my Windows installation going down the drain along with the game. Can I use the 1.1 patch to uninstall a later version of the game, even if I did not use it to install the game in the first place?

[ March 17, 2007, 20:07: Message edited by: Ziad ]

7. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Was this a Jewel case purchase or original retail box? Maybe you are pre-patched. If it is really 1.2 it is a cumulative patch and you shouldnt install 1.1 over 1.2!

8. Ziad

Media:
    It was a jewel case I got for a measly £5, hence why I picked it up. My suspicion is that it is indeed pre-patched to 1.2 (especially considering the readme file on the CD says 1.2 in the corner), but the 1.1 patch readme makes it very clear that none of the subsequent patches include the 1.1 fix. Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about a pre-patched 1.2. I didn't find anything on the internet concerning this issue either (the only link takes you to these very boards). I would just ignore it and go ahead if it wasn't for the fact the bug is quite serious.

9. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

FYI I just installed it on a new laptop and ran the patches in sequence. 1.1 and 1.2 didnt do anything. 1.1 installed the uninstall program though. I'd use that if you need to unistall, that is the protection against the "kill harddrive" utility. 1.3 and 1.4 ran fine and did update the game. The splash screen says 1.4 so its all set.

10. Ziad

Media:
    Did you run 1.1 after installing the game then, and was this enough to install the uninstaller? (I know, stupid sentence construction)

11. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Yes I ran them all.

I think 1.1 *is* the uninstaller. I didnt see it doing anything else but creating the uninstaller. 1.2 didnt do anything since my game was already at that level. 1.3 and 1.4 both patched.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.