1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Myth Drannor is....

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by ToddMcF2002, Dec 22, 2004.

1. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] ... a desolate place.

Right Guys?

Guys???

Guys?????

HA! I'll go it alone then! :)

2. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Sure, go in and get yourself killed :lol:

3. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

I made it back to the surface. Good stuff!

4. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, I'm going in too.

I've done, in this order, BG II, BG I, IWD, IWD II, and TOEE. Whenever I try to replay I just can't stand doing battles and exploring areas I've done before, so I'm giving POR a shot, despite all the bad things written about it.

I've got the 1.4 patch apparently correctly installed, though the uninstaller patch keeps saying it is corrupted and won't install, and the speed mod doesn't seem to have installed. Shouldn't be a problem as with 120GB I'll hopefully never need to uninstall the game.

I've got a 1/2 Orc barbarian, elf sorceress, dwarf cleric, and halfling rogue. They're all lvl 2 now and are just beginning to explore the dwarven dungeons.

There are some problems with the graphics, the characters are transparent and often I can't see barricades and doors in the dungeon. After TOEE the skill sets are lame, with no sneaking the rogue is basically only there for opening chests and disarming traps. Even at level 2 the sorceress only has 6 cantrips and no level 1 spells. Does anyone know if if supposed to be that way?

As far as complaints about the areas being too big, I think I'll like that, I thought the dungeon levels in TOEE were way too small.

Good to know that there's at least one other person in Myth Drannor at the moment.

5. Arendil Gems: 6/31

I liked this game a little, but for me first dungeon was too frustrating, I mean too big....
    How do you cope with transparent characters/monsters/features ? That was thing which made this game unplayable to me.
    BTW do you know that setting round time to maximum make it normal turn based combat with unlimited time ?
    Good luck.

6. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

With transparent objects, if I can't go to a place that looks empty, I assume there's something blocking it. Sometimes moving the mouse over things will make them appear. It is annoying. For monsters, mousing over them gives me a red target. It's not as bad since I put the occlusion to max and turned the round time to max.

7. Uncle Spanky Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Huge levels with no automatic movement commands.
    Horrible gameplay.
    No personality to speak of...less than TOEE.
    Graphics are phenominally horrible for its time.
    The most boring combat since...damn I cannot think of a more tedious combat system.

Oh yeah...the first release of the game fragged your hard drive.

Yes, a desolate place...very desolate and a horrible failure.

8. Scot

Well, I'm still playing. We're on the first level still. I found that going to the character sheet and then closing it will put the graphics back on screen that are invisible sometimes. Now I've got a halfling rogue 3/ranger 1, half-orc barbarian 3, dwarf cleric 3, and an elf sorcerer 3.

9. Newfie Banned

Hey Scot, are you using a Geforce video card with the latest drivers? If so, I think I know your problem.

10. Scot

Yes, I think so. I'll check later when I'm at home. Now it's not so bad. I'm out of the dungeons. Outside, my characters and monsters appear translucent. Is there anything that can be done about it?

11. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] I'm still on the surface taking a breather :)

I still have the game loaded on my laptop. Its too epic to give up on. If you make it as far as I have its you against the world. And no, I don't use the speed mod, and I like the undead.

I doubt any reviewers ever made it out of the first Myth Drannor dungeons - probably quit somewhere on level 1 or 2 and then slammed the game. Whatever. Sure the game has issues but I've done the same 10+ hour playing marathons that I did in TOEE and I've had just as much fun.

Its time to meet the Drow! Maybe I'll fire it up this week...

12. Scot

The first time I met the drow they slaughtered the whole party quite quick. After a reload and buffing I returned the favor. My party is just now getting into the second level of the catacombs.

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I played the whole game through, so you cannot accuse me of quitting in the dungeons. Even with all of the patches, it's still buggy. Plus, half the quests are boring, most of the combat is boring, and the spell effects, while initially cool, don't maintain the interest in the game.

The game was just not good.

14. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

I'll give you credit where credit is due dmc. Hard to believe you did it all and didnt like it. Thats sticktoittiveness to say the least!

Looks like I'll have some time tonight to play. I can't believe you passed me scot!

15. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

I'm going back in soon I swear. For some reason I have an itch to get back to this game....

16. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Hah here is my thread. Wow I thought I only took a year off from this game but it looks like I took a year and a half off LOL.

Anyway I have resumed play and I'm loving every minute. The game gets better once you get to the surface - plot wise.

So...

Myth Drannor is a lonely place even on the surface!
    Right guys?
    guys???
    where is everybody?????

Well at least I have Nottle and that creepy floating skull to talk to ;)

17. maalri Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I still stop in every once in while to put my 2 coppers worth in-

Desolate, place yes, but I thought it was a fun game! Never had the invisible objects problem though, but there are bugs! I never could fight Mordrayn- only the Dracolich, not matter how many times I went through... frustrating, but overall a decent game. I am in and like ToEE better though, if only it were bigger- but hey the Circle of Eight Modders are doing a great job with content, and I hear a new expansion for ToEE is coming.. woo-HOO.

18. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

C08 is making Keep of the Borderlands. Is that the expansion you are referring to??? ToEE is my favorite game with POR2 close second.

Please elaborate on that expansion comment!!!!

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Someone is making The Keep on the Borderlands? Wow; what a classic module that was!

20. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Keep of the Borderlands. LOL!

Last year when I was in D&D mode I went out and bought all the games I wanted. How I will ever get through them all I don't know:

Icewind Dale Box set
    Icewind Dale 2 Box set
    Baldurs Gate Tales of the Sword Coast
    Baldurs Gate II Box set
    Temple of Elemental Evil
    Pool of Radiance 2
    Gothic II (man that is an amazing game - that I finished already)
    Gothic I (on ebay)
    Neverwinter Nights Platnium
    Dungeon Lords (that game sux unfortunately)

And Fiction last week...
    Keep of the Borderlands
    Tomb of Horrors
    Temple of Elemental Evil
    Pool of Radiance

[ January 05, 2006, 21:19: Message edited by: ToddMcF2002 ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.